• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reporting value in TextEntryWidget to SCORM?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Is it possible to report the value of a text entry widget to SCORM?  I have built an activity where the learner enters a value using the text entry widget.  I save that entry to a variable and evaluate the entry using an advanced action triggered by clicking a smart shape.

Is there a way to report the value in this variable to SCORM?  I see that my smart shape has the ability to report answers but I am not exactly sure what it will report. 

Forgive me, I am very new to SCORM.  Trying to teach myself up but it's a bit slow going.

I am using Captivate 9, outputting to SCORM 1.2 and Moodle as my LMS.

Many thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Probably users have issues with your question. Personally I don't know which widget you are talking about, this is not a widget included in CP. A Text Entry Box is one of the interactive objects, but I never knew about a widget doing something similar. It must be different from the TEB because of the rest of your question. For a TEB what is typed in the field is automatically saved in an automatic created variable, no necessary steps are required. Any interaction data can be reported using the S

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably users have issues with your question. Personally I don't know which widget you are talking about, this is not a widget included in CP. A Text Entry Box is one of the interactive objects, but I never knew about a widget doing something similar. It must be different from the TEB because of the rest of your question. For a TEB what is typed in the field is automatically saved in an automatic created variable, no necessary steps are required. Any interaction data can be reported using the SCORM protocol but it depends also on your LMS if you'll be able to see the content of user variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to use a Text Entry Box. When the TEB is selected, go to the Property inspector and tick the "Validate User Input" checkbox. This will enable the "Include In Quiz" checkbox which allows you to report the answer typed in the TEB to an LMS using any standard supported by both Captivate and your LMS (SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, xAPI)

I Hope it helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks to you both!  And Lilybiri​ you are correct - I am using the Text area widget, not text entry.  Apologies for the inaccuracy.  I think I have enough to go on now.  Many thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scrolling Text Interaction? I wrote several blog posts about it, use it a

lot. Then you have indeed to create the user variable, cobtrary to the TEB.

However iy is not an interactive widget, wgich means no validation (need

advanced action), no score can be atrached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what if you want to record their input without there being a definitive correct answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no correct answer in the Text Area interaction. Don't know what you mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely without a correct answer, the text can not be validated and therefore not recorded?

I'm struggling to figure out how user-entered data and text can be recorded. A bit of background into my problem:

I am setting up a project to conduct a survey based on a university research project. The aim being to be able to present the output of this research in an interactive way, after which allow subject matter expert to complete a quick survey to elicit their feedback and critique. Ive set up this survey very nicely in adobe captivate and it looks great and simple for users to follow, but cant get the following user-entered data recorded:

User either accept or decline the informed consent agreement.

User entered name, organisation, email and short biography.

Is this even a possibility or can adobe captivate only perform and capture quiz results as per the templates?

Thanks,

Duncan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please start a new thread, this is totally different from the original topic of this thread.

The Scrolling Text interaction has an associated variable. The content of that variable can be retrieved. But I'm not sure you have to go with that way. You talk about a Survey. Have several blogs about surveys. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources