• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reset TOC after Failed Exam

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my user fails the exam I want them to retake the whole course. What action do I need to set in order for the user to not only go back to the beginning of the project and retake the course, but to also reset the TOC to ensure they cannot skip to locations they previously went to the first time they attempted the course. 

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

You cannot reset the TOC AFAIK in Captivate, but you can take out its navigation functionality by unchecking 'Enable navigation'. If you are not using a LMS but only bookmarking by TOC uncheck 'Self-paced learning' as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

If you are delivering this learning via an LMS, then forcing the learner to relaunch the module again (from the LMS, not within Captivate) will reset the TOC. 

As Lieve mentions, making sure Self-Paced Learning is turned off will ensure that type of bookmarking will not store any details of which slides your learner visited.  The other type of bookmarking is Resume Data Bookmarking and (depending on your LMS) you may find it needs to be turned off as well, otherwise it will keep sending the le

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

I am using a LMS to launch the training. My goals are to 1. not allow the learner to advance in the course without visiting each slide. 2. If the learner fails the exam they need to retake the course in its entirety so I was looking to have the TOC reset when they clicked the Retake course button from the failed slide thus taking them back to the beginning and not advancing through the course without visiting each slide. 

This brings another question if I check self-paced learning will that allo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor , Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Honestly - I am not sure if it will work but it may be worth taking a look at to see if does.

A recent question came up about clearing all the checks out of the TOC upon entering a slide in the eLearning Community.

You could try this with your Restart button - to take the learner back to the beginning and then clear all the checks.
Again - not tested for your use case - just sharing as perhaps something with potential...?

https://elearning.adobe.com/2021/01/clearvisited-function/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

If you use a LMS, never check self-paced learning because you could have a conflict. It is only meant to be used as bookmarking when you do not upload to a LMS. With a LMS you have bookmarking automatically turned on, which means that learner will be taken to the location where they left on relaunch.

It may be possible to set up your requirement using the LMS functionality instead of setting it up within Captivate. Allow only one attempt on quiz level in Captivate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot reset the TOC AFAIK in Captivate, but you can take out its navigation functionality by unchecking 'Enable navigation'. If you are not using a LMS but only bookmarking by TOC uncheck 'Self-paced learning' as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are delivering this learning via an LMS, then forcing the learner to relaunch the module again (from the LMS, not within Captivate) will reset the TOC. 

As Lieve mentions, making sure Self-Paced Learning is turned off will ensure that type of bookmarking will not store any details of which slides your learner visited.  The other type of bookmarking is Resume Data Bookmarking and (depending on your LMS) you may find it needs to be turned off as well, otherwise it will keep sending the learner back to the end of the module when they relaunch.  If you are able to use SCORM 2004 with your LMS, then selecting the option available under the Advanced button in Quiz Settings to Set Exit to Normal after Completion might help.

As mentione, quite a bit of this depends on using an LMS, and how the LMS works.  So if you are NOT using an LMS, this information might not be relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a LMS to launch the training. My goals are to 1. not allow the learner to advance in the course without visiting each slide. 2. If the learner fails the exam they need to retake the course in its entirety so I was looking to have the TOC reset when they clicked the Retake course button from the failed slide thus taking them back to the beginning and not advancing through the course without visiting each slide. 

This brings another question if I check self-paced learning will that allow the user to navigate throught the course without visiting every slide or will it simply just save their place and take them back to that location upon relaunch? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you use a LMS, never check self-paced learning because you could have a conflict. It is only meant to be used as bookmarking when you do not upload to a LMS. With a LMS you have bookmarking automatically turned on, which means that learner will be taken to the location where they left on relaunch.

It may be possible to set up your requirement using the LMS functionality instead of setting it up within Captivate. Allow only one attempt on quiz level in Captivate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly - I am not sure if it will work but it may be worth taking a look at to see if does.

A recent question came up about clearing all the checks out of the TOC upon entering a slide in the eLearning Community.

You could try this with your Restart button - to take the learner back to the beginning and then clear all the checks.
Again - not tested for your use case - just sharing as perhaps something with potential...?

https://elearning.adobe.com/2021/01/clearvisited-function/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources