Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resetting Quiz Attempts

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I'm having seeking some guidance resetting a Quiz from within a Captivate/SCORM 2004 3rd Ed file. On a very basic level, I'm allowing 2 attempts at the Quiz before the student must click the "Retake Chapter" button. This button resets all of our User-created Variables and states of Smartshapes, and Jumps to Slide 1 (effectively resetting the "instruction portion" of the Chapter and starting the student over).

Captivate Support advised that resetting the Quiz should be done with an Execute JavaScript > cp.resetQuizData() > Current Window. To be clear, I know nothing about JavaScript, I literally copied-and-pasted what they sent me.

This command doesn't seem to be doing the trick- the student is still locked out of the Quiz after hitting the max number of attempts. This was confirmed by the Quiz Instructions Slide's "Next" button (Go To Next Slide) will not go to the first Quiz Slide.

I called Support today and they told me that "JavaScript is outside the scope of what Captivate Support can help with"... and I'll leave my thoughts on that for another Discussion for another time. But I'm beginning to think this is the wrong approach to a relatively common use case.

Has anyone handled this use case? Is relying on Captivate's maximum number of attempts restricting me by triggering what seems like a complete lockout from the Quiz? Ie. once that number is hit, there's no way for an action within Captivate to reset it.

Thank you in advance for any guidance or experiences the Community can provide!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

I will offer you first of all a couple of links to blog posts related with your question:

Captivate's Quizzes (3): Attempts and Scores - eLearning (adobe.com)

Quiz Tweaks 5: Results slide - eLearning (adobe.com)

Instead of resetting the Quiz attempts, you need to set the Attempts to a higher value (or Infinite) and create a conditional action which will be based on the value of the quizzing system variable cpQuizInfoAttempts. That variable increases when the learner clicks the Retake button. I

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not try to achieve this with the existing possibilities of Quizzes?

Please correct me if I didn't understand the request completely:

• You are using default quiz slides, not custom quiz slides created with standard objects, shared/advanced action and variables? You talk about variables and states, but are they linked to scored objects?
  • You want the learner to have one second attempt on quiz level. If there is another Failure
  • You need to use the advanced action to reset states and variable values but you also want the learner to retake the content before a new attempt on quiz level.

If that is correct, do not bother with JS. The 'cp.resetQuizData' which you mention can cause more problems than expected because you'll lose some functionality as I have read multiple times in this forum.

If you confirm my understanding in the bulleted list above, will point you to a possible soluation without JS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• You are using default quiz slides, not custom quiz slides created with standard objects, shared/advanced action and variables? You talk about variables and states, but are they linked to scored objects?
  • Correct, I'm using default quiz slides. The variables and states are not scored, completely unrelated to the quiz portion of the file.
  • You want the learner to have one second attempt on quiz level. If there is another Failure
  • Correct, if they fail the quiz once they'll use the Retake Quiz button (Captivate stock option). If they fail a second time, they need to repeat the entire instructional content before another attempt at the quiz.
    • Within the instruction, the "Retake Chapter" button's Advanced Action does two things: Assigns relevant User variables to zero, and Changes State Of buttons from Visited -> Normal. But all of that is unscored, and working fine. I point it out just to be clear that I have an Advanced Action on a button already on the Quiz Results Slide that I can add actions to. 

I'm all ears for a solution without JS, that sounds way better! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will offer you first of all a couple of links to blog posts related with your question:

Captivate's Quizzes (3): Attempts and Scores - eLearning (adobe.com)

Quiz Tweaks 5: Results slide - eLearning (adobe.com)

Instead of resetting the Quiz attempts, you need to set the Attempts to a higher value (or Infinite) and create a conditional action which will be based on the value of the quizzing system variable cpQuizInfoAttempts. That variable increases when the learner clicks the Retake button. If that variable is higher than 2, which means that the learner had two failures on quiz level, you'll have to navigate the learner to the first content slide and do the resetting. You can use the On Enter event of the first question slide for that purpose. Although I wonder whether the reset actions are all necessary, would like to see the action you are using at this moment. Since that action is not about question slides but about the content slides, want to know more about it.

For the navigation to the content slide, I offered a similar solution in this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/captivate-discussions/a-button-doesn-t-reset-the-quiz/td-p/13299126

For the On enter event of the first question slide use this conditional actio:

IF cpQuizInfoAttempts is greater than 2 AND

cpInfoLastVisitedSlide is equal to   ....    where you enter the index number of the results slide

Jump to slide x            where x is the first content slide you want them to go

Be sure to allow Backwards movement in Quiz Preferences, even though you don't need to have a Back button (which I never recommend).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll read through these 3 articles before jumping into building it, but wanted to send the Advanced Action in case it helps (attached). The JS Action in the AA is the one I mentioned before, cp.resetQuizData(). I don't think any of these Actions will get in the way of anything else.

I bet I'll be more clear after reading the articles, but I think I follow where you're going, which is leveraging infinite attempts (to prevent being locked out of the quiz by Captivate) with the the Retake Quiz button (which automatically clears previous answers, score, and jumps them to quiz question 1), but preventing them from taking the quiz a third time with an Advanced Action on the On Enter Action of quiz question 1's slide (to jump them back to the beginning and resetting the content-related variables/buttons).

Regardless of the number of attempts, they're always clicking the Retake Quiz button. But when they click it after the second attempt, they're getting kicked back to start over, so I think the only additional change would be modifying the Quiz Failure Message to reflect this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those multistate objects (name with TOC), are they on one slide? You can use the On Enter action of that slide to trigger those Reset commands. I suppose you needed to Retain the state of the multistate objects because that slide is visited multiple times while watching the content.

I hope the articles will help to understand. They are in a series of articles on the eLearning community to explain in-depth the features of quizzes, and possibilities of tweaking. That is the reason for the numbering you'll see in their title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang you're good... they're on one slide and we're retaining their Visited state on return to help the student keep track of which subsections they've completed and what's left to cover.

One question I can't deduce from the Captivate User Guide... the cpInfoLastVisitedSlide is a literal value of the slide number of the Quiz Results Slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After almost 15 years of consultation jobs, you get some 'intuition' about Captivate.

Here is another link, it has a downloadable table explaining all system variables:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/discover-slash-use-captivates-system-variables-part-1

cpInfoLastVisitedSlide has an index starting with 1, same as cpInfoCurrentSlide.  You need indeed that number for the Results slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Lilybiri , this solution has resolved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, glad it has been solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources