• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shadow and reflection help

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the shadow/reflection feature in my training.  When I preview it inside captivate, the drop shadow is only at the bottom left. which is what I want. however, when i publish it, it appears throughout the entire shape.   What am I missing?  I dont want it all the way around the image.

Here are my settings.

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 1.47.31 PM.png

Here is my "preview":  Area inside the pink circle is the concern.

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 1.25.25 PM.png

Here is my published:

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 1.44.40 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the rectangle a filled shape or just an outline? It looks like it's the latter and that would explain why the drop shadow appears as it does. You need to have a filled object to get the effect that you're after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are filled in with color and at 100%

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 2.01.59 PM.png

In preview mode:

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 2.02.14 PM.png

In published version:

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 2.05.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd. HTML5 or SWF?

The colors in the object properties don't match the colors of the objects. Did you have one selected when you screen captured it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML5

And now that you mention it - the colors are off. Nothing was selected when i screenshot it. Im going to check it again now..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's more effort, but you could always create a filled shape and set outline to 0, duplicate it, set the fill to 0% and add the outline. Then you could apply the drop shadow to the filled shape. Not ideal, but it solves the issue. It is bizarre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a test: Created a Smartshape rounded rectangle, previewed HTML5 in browser, and got the same results as you. I did not publish and run it from a web server. Definitely not the behavior I would expect.

Maybe someone else has encountered, and found a solution to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So weird- I checked it again and you're right - the colors are different between captivate preview and the browser...   I am surprised by that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats what I was thinking... because it would drive me nuts not having the shadow... I tried taking it away, adding it back etc..  Its the stroke. If i dont have a stroke in there, its fine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I noticed that about the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem....no solution.

CP9 - Outer shadow appears inside the smart shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news: it is 'partially' solved in the most recent version of CP2017. I say partially, because you'll still have the issue when the Fill is semi-transparent. However with a fill with Alph=100% the shadow is perfect, even when the shape has a stroke: the stroke is no llonger duplicated in the shadow which was the case before/ This fixed bug is not mentioned in the text: Captivate (2017 release) Update 1 released - eLearning

As a 'proof', look at this strange combination of colors (to emphasize teh fix):

Fully opaque shape with a 4p wie stroke: stroke is not visible in shadow

ShadowNonTransp.png

Same shape semi-transparent fill: stroke appears in shadow and is visible like in previous versions:

ShadowTransp.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not mentioned as a fix because it wasn't fixed. It still shows through when 100% opacity is selected. I would suggest that the colours you have chosen are dark enough to obscure the drop shadow stroke from bleeding through. I have the update and it's behaving exactly as it did in the past.

My workaround for this problem would be to get rid of the object stroke and select an object fill that is slightly different in colour so there is no need for the object stroke to isolate it from the background. Here is an example running in HTML5.

2018-04-29_8-22-35.png

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but the change is that the shadow has NO stroke as expected when the opactity of the fill is 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe with some colour combinations, but I have the update and the shadow still shows a stroke through the object even with 100% opacity. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Her screen shots are only of the shape while editing. It's the PUBLISHED output that has the error in it. This is a thread that is FOUR YEARS OLD and still Adobe hasn't fixed it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Captivate 2019 and this is still not fixed in 2022.

A shape with a stroke will show the "shadow stroke" through the fill of an opaque smart shape. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opaque shapes will not show stroke shadow, at least not for me. Even partially transparent shapes do not have that anymore. Which exact version of Captivate are you using, because CP2019 covers a lot of releases. Check under Help, About Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Release # is 11.5.1.499

In this image the top left is how it appears in Captivate and the bottom left is how is appears when published. Shape is opaque white with a 5 black stroke. You can readily see the stroke's shadow through the fill.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both 11.5.5.553 and 11.8 (on different systems), you are not fully updated. Here is an image of a similar shape with a 100% solid fill in 11.5.5.553

ShapeShadow.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My objects look correct in the Captivate app, too. They do not publish correctly, however. This has been a bug going back several versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send a screen shot of the PUBLISHED shape and not what it looks like while editing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources