• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some google fonts missing (Inter)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I chose a google web font for my LMS knowing it would offer the most flexibility, the font is called Inter.

However, when I edit my theme in Capitvate (12.2) I do not see Inter as an option under Google Fonts, there are some other big ones missing as well, like Open Sans. It is showing my system version but obvioulsy I would like to use the one from google so I can be sure it is loaded on all devices, it is also not showing all available weights from my system font; only regular, bold and italic.

TOPICS
Editing , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to add I am using capitvate on a Mac, Sonoma 14.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like you guys excluded everything that is similar to Source Sans... am I being crazy here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, do not expect that all Google fonts are available in the Cp12 fonts drop-down list to choose from. With the language filter Latin activated there are currently 1,582 font families available. Imagine them all listed in Cp12.

Nevertheless you are fully right to ask why just those 70 font families are listed under Google fonts. It would be actually much better to be able to embed and use any Google font in Cp12 projects. Like it is possible in Cp Classic to embed Adobe Fonts. Besides I wonder why the latter option doesn't seem to exist in Cp12.

I'm interested in this matter myself and tried to find information about fonts choices in Cp12 first on Adobe Help pages and secondly on the web in general. There is nothing! In the Captivate User Guide under Add text to a project it just plainly says: "Change the text font, size, and style." 

Why it is not showing all available styles (or weights) from your System fonts is a different problem I also don't have an answer to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a lot missing in the official documentation.  I have no idea why they replaced Adobe by Google fonts, but there were already problems with the Adobe fonts lately. Neither of them are ever embedded, they are created on runtime. That is necessary in this case because you can have only responsive projects. That is also the reason why you cannot access system fonts.

In non-responsive projects static text are converted to images and that allows to include system fonts which are not websafe. However this is impossible for responsive projects.

For the rest I cannot answer your questions but popped in with a partial explanation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, just frustrating because I specifically picked it because it is open souce and so popular.. and.I just like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, hopefully they will address this in the future since Typography and Typgrahic Heirarchy is such a big part of making text more readable for learners. I am not sure who their target audience is for this new product, maybe because I come from a development background it is hard for me to wrap my head around the lack of customization they allow in this new version.

I get responsivness, I am a web developer, I don't why they arent using something like flexbox for elements to give devs more control over size and positioning of things.

I am trying hard to give it a chance rather than using the old version which will be sunset in a few years. I have always thought of using Adobe tools as a "safe bet" for future proofing but after seeing what has happened to XD and Captivate seeming to be directed towards beginner developers I am having a lot of second thoughts.

If I didn't need a completely offline option and wasn't so committed to staying on my mac for development I would have likely switched to a competitor already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree a lot with your viewpoint, do not like to be controlled by an application which decides how a course should look. But most people also believe you can learn everything on Youtube by watching short videos which is as crazy to me as what happened now with Captivate. Are competitors better? I don't think so and still hope that someone gets aware of the fact that professionals need professional tools, and eLearning deserves professionals and not amateurs. You will not build a house (I am a civil engineer)  with tools from Temu, nor become a professional flutist (which I am as well) by playing with a VR game. You feel the same frustrations with me and other experts here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources