Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text caption height in responsive project is not automatically resizing

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a Captivate 8 responsive project in which a text caption is not behaving properly. When I get down to smartphone-sized screens the width of the text caption reduces with the width of the device. But, the height of the text caption does not increase accordingly to fit the content. The text just gets cut off at the bottom.

I've tried the Auto height setting for the object size, but this scales the text down within the boundaries of the text caption. I would like to maintain the size of my text and have it grow down the screen the way plain text does in an HTML page.

I also do not want to set my text caption height to 100% because I would like to stack objects beneath the text caption.

Any help or advice is great appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem. So far, I don't see how we could manage to use the Responsive project feature that Captivate offers. Nothing good comes out of it. Is it just me or what? Anyone as succeeded in creating something reliable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2015 Apr 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cntdmds‌,

There's a setting buried in Preferences > Defaults > Autosize Captions that changes all text captions in your file. This has enabled my responsive layouts to work better in Captivate.

Re: creating something reliable: I'm in the midst of creating a large responsive e-learning course. It's been a really steep learning curve and a very frustrating one. I believe a reliable course can be created, but it's a hard journey. (My largest problem is my smart position markers don't stay at their assigned places, but I think I'm on track to solve it... perhaps.)

Yet to see if this whole responsive Captivate adventure will be worthwhile. I hope Articulate adds a responsive capability to Storyline.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Stimpski for your reply!

I'll take a look at this option see if it works for me!

Have a good day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! It's me again!

I just checked and surprisingly, this box was already unchecked and yet, all of my captions are resizing on my mobile versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is unchecked by default. Was bit wondering about that answer. How did you set up the styles for the text captions? Look in the Object Style Manager, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Did this ever get solved?
I'm interested in creating projects like Stimpski which are 'deep scrolling'.

Content which works the same way as that created by the Adapt eLearning framework ..

https://community.adaptlearning.org/pluginfile.php/808/mod_scorm/content/1/index.html

Is this even possible with Captivate 8 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still haven't solved this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried setting up separate object styles for that break point. Each break point can have a different set of object styles. if all else fails you can always manually position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Barbara: this is about the size of Text Captions (or shapes), and that size is NOT in object styles. In responsive projects the Object Styles have font, font size, font color, font attribute and alignment, but NEVER the size of the caption which is independent of the object style. All breakpoint views are included in ONE object style (not in different object styles). Please, try to understand a question before answering!  Size of a caption or shape as text container is set up with the Position Properties, not with the Object Style Manager. This answer is off topic.

Captivate 9 is supposed to have "Auto Grow" for text captions and shapes, if you set up the Position Properties correctly. To my experience Auto Grow works inconsistently, especially in Quiz questions it is not giving always the correct result on all mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found Stimski's suggestion to turn on "Auto Size Captions" to be helpful, if I'm using text captions. However, most of the time I'm using Smart Shapes as text captions and that preference setting doesn't seem to change Smart Shapes that have text in them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have an update or solution for this?  I am using Captivate 9 now and am still experiencing this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources