• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to track elapse slide time in Captivate CP2017

Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to find a way to set the module to close automatically if the module has no activity for 30 minutes--so I need a timer that counts time on slide on relevant page. The timing on the slide is 3 or 5 seconds but these are slides they must do something on.

If they walk away for 30 minutes, the LMS times them out but the module will still continue to display. If they return after the time out, everything seems fine but the reporting piece has stopped reporting. I want to set the modules to close at 30 minutes on any one slide. Is this possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have some possible workflows in mind, either with the Timer interaction or by using the timing system variables. However I need to check out which is the best approach. However I hope to understand the question correctly: Captivate project should be exited when the time staying on each slide is higher than 30 minures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, will double-check what I have in mind as possible workflows. Just hope this is not a fluid boxes project, forgot to ask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one I've got in mind does include fluid boxes. I will likely apply it
to both types of projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer.... that makes it too complicated. I had a non-responsive project in mind.

Moreover I missed that you are still on version 10 (CP2017), not sure - since it is so old - if you have the proper features because a lot was added in version 11.0 and 11.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. I know. I don't love responsive but it does what I need. I can do
this (and have done this easily) in Lectora but only have a few projects
there (and not the one this is important for, which becomes a big deal Aug
1). The bulk of our content is in Captivate and that is what most of our
designers use. Maybe this will be a good prybar for getting an upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...let's pretend I have the most up to date version of Captivate (I will have shortly). Applying to both responsive (fluid boxes) and non-responsive titles, do you have any thoughts on how this could be achieved?

Moderator: Please do not post personal credentials, this is a public forum. I took everything out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I offered you two suggestions in my first answer. For the fluid boxes projects, I would need to test out the workflows. That could lead to a blog post maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look at timing widgets (have not had great experiences with widgets, honestly) but I suspect it requires the timer be viewable and I'd rather they not know about it. I've looked at some of your answers for other timing related questions; I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an expert on system variables but the only one I see that is even maybe related is the cpInfoElapsedTimeMS variable--which is the time of the whole project, not slide specific. I'd like to figure out something generally for all our packages, but I have a very specific package where it is critical (RIGHT NOW! of course...well, by August 1).

There is also cpInfoFrameCount but that is more related to number of total frames, which would not help...the package this is most important for has no standard slide length--it all depends on audio files, none of which are the same length. Unfortunately, the most critical place in the course is a slide they view five times (choice/branch), which probably complicates the issue. Some of the variable/timer thing suggestions I've seen divides the first variable by the second in some way...which doesn't work well for my purposes.

Only the quiz questions are the same 'length' and they're quiz questions, so it is irrelevant.

Are there other variables that I'm missing? Maybe new variable options in the version I don't have (yet)? If you're thinking this sounds like a ridicuous module...it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI I am the moderator 🙂

There are ways to make the timer interaction (not widget) 'invisible' to the learner, but that is of course more complicated in fluid boxes.

I was referring only to the timing system variables. You cannot do anything with cpInfoFrameCount at all, since that is only linked to the developer time, real time has no connection with it. Problem is that you need advanced (or shared actions) and that they need to be done in a 'loop'. I don't remember if the While loop is available in CP2017?

I realized a lot of workflows in consultancy jobs linked with Timing and/or quizzes. However I feel bit reluctant to spend time on finding out an appropriate workflow (preferably with a shared action). There are several reasons for this reluctancy, will not expand on it since they are not at all linked with you.

BTW There is also the timing variable cpInfoEpochMS, which is absolute contrary to cpInfoElapsedTimeMS variable. 

You will need a user variable to store a reference time when entering a slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. Thanks.

Yes, While is in 2017. I spent some time digging in advanced/shared actions Friday but didn't get very far. That said, I poked it for a couple hours but had to stop because I have other things that had to be done. If you come up with something, I'd be happy to try it.

I'll think on it some more when I have more brain. Today (and most of the week) I have too many other commitments/deadlines. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI the workflow with a Timer interaction on each slide works perfectly. The amount of time is not very 'exact' but I managed to have the Exit performed on each slide. I tried with 3 minutes. As I mentioned it is perfectly possible to make the interaction 'invisible'. However, with fluid boxes you'll need a fluid box to contain that interaction and it will look empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try it! Thanks! I'm pretty sure I can manage that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mod! I responded via email and it auto added my signature. Tried to edit to remove but couldn't see a way to do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources