Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turning Off Autoplay for Narration and Videos

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a training course in Captivate (12/2023) and need help with an accessibility issue.

Currently, slide audio narration and videos autoplay, which conflicts with screen readers and causes users to miss important content. Specifically, the audio from narration and videos start at the same time screen readers begin announcing slide content.

Is there a way in Captivate to disable autoplay for slide audio and single videos?

I tried removing the slide audio and setting up a button to let users choose when to play the audio clip, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to add captions to this audio which causes another accessibility issue. I also turned off 'autoplay' in the preference settings, but to no avail. 

Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the On Enter slide event, and use the action 'Pause Timeline'. You will need to add a button to 'Resume Timeline' to start both the video and the narration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2024 Jul 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your suggestion. I've implemented the 'Pause Timeline' action with a button to 'Resume Timeline' as you advised. While this works to some extent, I've encountered a few issues:

1. The button to resume the timeline sometimes doesn't appear before the timeline pauses, despite being set at the start of the timeline with no animations.
2. The sudden stop of text and photo animations feels visually jarring and could be mistaken for an error by users.

Do you have any further recommendations to address these issues?

Thanks again for your assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources