Exit

Video Demo - Crashes Captivate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue addressed here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2511645 when I launch the software and

choose Video Demo the software crashes instantly.

Have deleted my preferences, run as administrator, no difference program

cannot be used (or purchased) as a result.

Sincerely,

Jay Lepore

(PII removed by moderator)

TOPICS
Audio and video , Getting started , Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Sorry about the support experience. Both Rod and myself are just users, we are not working for Adobe.

Being administrator is not the same as run Captivate with the setting 'Run as Administrator', on Windows. Use the right-click menu to activate it.

Preferences have been reset, was the cache cleared? I know that temporary Video Demo files are not stored in the cache, but nevertheless.

Can you start it when you disable the new webcam? I have no webcam on the system I use for recording, it is not comp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I tried the video demo feature on my built-in webcam a few days ago and I was able to launch it, take a snapshot and play around with the background. I didn't try recording yet. Then the following day, I tried video demo with my Logitech webcam plugged in, and Captivate crashed as soon as I tried to create a video demo project. I have since tried it again with the built-in webcam, no luck. 

I have cleared cache files and run the program as administrator. I have the 2019 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check if you have the most recent version, which is 11.0.1.266?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the one I have. I reinstalled the program yesterday, went to check the version after your reply, and it needed an update. But now it's 11.01.1.266. Still no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I spoke to Adobe support and they told me to update my Windows. My PC shows that my device is up to date but, apparently, there is a new version I don't yet have! So I'm slowly but surely updating to version 1809. Then I have to reinstall Captivate. I'll come back to tell you what happened - fingers crossed now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for keeping us informed! Are you on WIndows? Win10 or Win7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10.

I just did everything they asked me to. Captivate still crashes every single time I try to create a video demo. I will contact them again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it has been asked (this is a long thread), but do you activate the Run as Admininstrator feature when llaunching Captivate? It is indispensable for recording, both Video Demo and Software Simulations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I run it as administrator.

Adobe agent was on my computer and said the problem could be one of the following:

1. C-drive is full.

2. Special character in my user folder. (ä in my name)

So we agreed that I'll clean up some space and try again. I deleted a load of stuff from the C-drive and there's plenty of space now. 95Gt, to be exact.

Still no luck.

Now I don't know what to do because the customer support is closed. They pass me from one person to another and I have to keep explaining this again and again. I don't want to change any usernames without hearing from them first because if I've understood correctly, changing the name will affect a lot of other things, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feeling sorry! I am always very careful with not including special characters nor combination characters in names (I am Belgian, need combi characters as well). English speakers often assume that the whole world has as little characters as they have on their keyboard 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the Technician said, it could possibly be due to the special character in your name.  One easy way to test if this is the case is to use (or create) another user profile that only contains normal alpha characters and see if Captivate exhibits the same behaviour when you log into that profile.  If that profile fixes the issue, you at least have a way forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. We tried this with the Adobe technician yesterday. Still no luck.

The technicians I've had working on my PC have been great. However, I'm at a loss for words when it comes to the way the communication works in the support. An agent tells me they're going to look into my case, and they disappear for hours. The next agent tells me a different team is handling my case. That team seems to have gone home by then. I get an email saying they are still waiting to hear from me, but it seems to be impossible to get hold of the team. 

I was told by a technician that they need to look into the problem I have. Here are some of the things we've tried so far:
- tried resetting preferences of Captivate
- tried to change the video demo folder location
- tried to stop third party apps which might conflict with Captivate
- technician says I don't have admin rights on my PC which I do, it's mine and I'm the only user. This was confusing. Anyway, we did the following: we created a new user on my computer with full admin rights, and tried reinstalling etc.
- in the end, the technician suspected there was something wrong with my video drivers. Checking them was one of the last things he did before he said it needs looking into more.
- I informed the technician that the video demo worked the first time I used it. The following day I tried it with a new webcam, and I was never able to launch it then nor after that.

I hope this gives someone else tips on what to do if you have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the support experience. Both Rod and myself are just users, we are not working for Adobe.

Being administrator is not the same as run Captivate with the setting 'Run as Administrator', on Windows. Use the right-click menu to activate it.

Preferences have been reset, was the cache cleared? I know that temporary Video Demo files are not stored in the cache, but nevertheless.

Can you start it when you disable the new webcam? I have no webcam on the system I use for recording, it is not compulsory for Video Demo. Did you try to start a Video Demo without?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri, I can't seem to tag you but you are a star!

So what you said about trying Video Demo with no webcam got me deleting the program that came with my new Logitech webcam. It disabled my built-in webcam for a while and I was a little lost for a while, but I was indeed able to launch Video Demo, without a webcam! So then I knew the problem was the Logitech program which I had installed between the times when Video demo did work and didn't work. I updated the imaging devices in the device manager and rebooted my computer, and now I can launch video demo!! I cannot believe this. Yesterday, I tried to tell the technician that there's a new device, perhaps it's because of that, but because he wasn't too interested in that, I didn't think it was the problem and wouldn't have known what to do.

I guess I'll take my brand new webcam back to the shop, unless you have any tips on how to make Logitech C920 and Captivate like each other? 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe because I am not a technician at all, but a practical Captivate user with a logical (not a Logitech) mind. Your sentence that it worked before the new webcam was the 'light'.

You cannot mark my comment as correct, because the original poster of the question never came back to see answers. I have the 'power' (bad word, hate that word due to all the power-greedy dictators) to make an answer as correct. If you allow me to do that, will do so.

It is a bit astonishing that your webcam wouldn't be supported, used to have Logitech 920 and it worked fine with Presenter Xpress from which they took over some features to Video Demo. Looks like a driver conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I seem to have high-jacked this thread so I'm going to leave to you to mark it or not mark it.

I'd better let the Adobe team know I figured out the problem. They spent HOURS on my PC! I should have been louder about the webcam, but when a tech professional brushes something off I just assume my thoughts are too far-fetched!

Thanks again for your help!

Which webcam do you use now, then? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it broke, have no webcam on this system.... spend too much time helping for free.  Use Surface Pro, which has a webcam, but cannot use it for Video Demo because of its tiny retina screen. No dual recording for me at this moment. Not a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

honestly, while i feel lucky for you and thank god we have this kind off community help. But WTH...

If i want to do a screen-recording with webcam using Adobe Captivate's Video Demo capability, how on earth could it be considered a solution, to start "Video Demo" with disabled webcam?

Its like my cars engine makes strange sounds and you recommend me to turn off the engine. How should i get from A to B then? Dont say bicycle, as i have bouth a car for a reason.

Has anyone found a solution which does not require turning off the web cam?

I also tried everything from the older posts and yes, my version is up to date (installed/updated one hour ago).

Thanks,

MS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running as admin is not the solution here and does not help with the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we had the same problem recently and it came down to a Logitech program that recently installed itself, called Logitech Capture.

We uninstalled Logitech Capture, and Captivate Video Demo worked perfectly after Logitech Capture was uninstalled.

Seems to be a clash.

Hope this helps.

Screenshot 2019-02-11 11.32.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this possible cause!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having issues with my Logitech Brio webcam when trying to launch Video Demo. Uninstalling the Logitech Capture software did resolve the immediate crash when launching Video Demo. Now, i can open Video Demo and select the built-in web cam, but when i switch to the Brio webcam, Captivate 2019 (latest version, run as Administrator, all local drive locations) crashes. I have also removed the Logitech camera settings app and Personify Chromacam. Oddly enough, when ChromaCam was installed, Captivate did allow me to select this as a web cam and create a Video Demo. (ChromaCam essentially impersonates the Brio web cam, or whatever web cam you select in the ChromaCam settings). My Brio also has the latest firmware and Windows 10 driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto with the Brio camera; causes Video Demo to crash. I don't have any of the Logitech software installed at all, and I've just updated the BIOS on the camera from v1 to v2.2; didn't help.  My Microsoft Lifecam USB camera works beautifully.  I did wonder if it was clashing with Skype/Teams, though with the LifeCam I was able to do a video demo of Teams, with Skype running, so they all seemed to play nice.  I'm running Windows 10 1809, fully patched. 

So - what is it about the Logitech Brio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please log a bug report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would if I could figure out how.

When i go to the tracker (Tracker)

Captivate is not available for selection as a Product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources