Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When revisiting retain overall slide and states

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

URGENT HELP!!!!!!1

Can captivate resume slide on the last action. 

For example,  I have a slide that has animation entrance, audio and all interactive button came in with the audio timeline. 

When the user click on the button it takes them to another slide but when they return, the whole audio and animation played all over again. Is there a way I can set it as on revisit you can continue from a specific time stamp on the timeline but the next button will not show until all other button has been seletcted. 

Thank you for your help. 

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

You want to run a marathon without any training? 

You only need to know how to use a shared action. Here are two videos. If I needed to create videos for all the use cases I have on my blog, it would be a full-time activity without any ROI, similar to the blog which has taken thousands of hours so far. 

http://blog.lilybiri.com/who-is-afraid-of-dot-dot-dot-shared-actions-crash-course-lesson-1-video

http://blog.lilybiri.com/who-is-afraid-of-dot-dot-dot-shared-actions-crash-course-lesson-2-video

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the states you need to check the button 'Retain State...'

For the rest use this shared action which can be used both for the audio and the other things happening on a slide to refrain them from replaying on second and later visits. It follows on two other blogs (Force first view and Play Audio only first time)

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-to-shared-action-step-by-step-micro-navigation-showcase

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'm quote new to captivate and still getting use to the terminology,. is there ad video tutorial 🙂  as I'm finding it hard to understand the blog. for example preview action tab.  don't know how to get there etc 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to run a marathon without any training? 

You only need to know how to use a shared action. Here are two videos. If I needed to create videos for all the use cases I have on my blog, it would be a full-time activity without any ROI, similar to the blog which has taken thousands of hours so far. 

http://blog.lilybiri.com/who-is-afraid-of-dot-dot-dot-shared-actions-crash-course-lesson-1-video

http://blog.lilybiri.com/who-is-afraid-of-dot-dot-dot-shared-actions-crash-course-lesson-2-video

BTW there s no Preview action tab. The advanced actions dialog box has a button which creates a Preview of the advanced or shared action? You find a complete explanation of that dialog box in:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

The 'micro-navigation' which is used in the shared action is explained here:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/micro-navigation-introduction

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soo much for your help.

I have a had some training but the training I had did not cover the shared action but only covered advance action.  I 'm a articulate storyline user. 

Because on storyline, there is button for When Revisiting (Resume saved state) which is the last time you are on the page, all animation and audio are already completed and will not replay and the button takes you to different slides. 

I've attached what I'm trying to achieve and storyline screenshot because everything I tried the instructions online ,the audio and animation starts again. 

Only want the animation on timeline to play once and every time you back to the slid, all the audio and animation are completed and next button not visible until all action are selected. 

I was hoping for something as simple action has articulate storyline but it seems everything is in advance action and share action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it also seems like what I'm trying to achieve seems a little comepleted on Captivate. Some of the ideas on what I'm trying to achieve was not in the training so I have to use online forum , chat  or FAQ for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I offered is the most simple solution in Captivate, I reacted to your 'URGENT' scream. There are many workflows which are easier in one of the two tools, and this one may be easier in StoryLine, but the reverse will be the case for other workflows. Reusability is much better in Captivate than in Storyline, but there is no simple button for this particular use case, probably because much more complicated setups can be used as well.

A Shared action is much easier to reuse than an advanced action, and since this workflow is needed on many slides and in many projects I created a shared action, which is moreover possible both for Force View, Play Audio only first time or the combination of both which is what you need. I have no problems understanding your use case (please do not attach images but insert them - I do not download attachments and the Preeview is not working for your screenshots). I could set this up in a very short time using that shared action. I also have another shared action allowing me to create lot of variables in a breeze. 
Once you have the shared action, you only need to enter the time in seconds to the frame where everything has been settled and the audio clip is finished and enter that as parameter. To track the visits need a variable for each slide. 

For states in a multistate object you have a simple checkbox, not for everything what can happen in a complete slide: animation, staggering objects, effects, audio, video.... 

Sorry to disappoint you, but please do not compare tools before you know them a little bit better.  That your training didn't include shared actions is bad luck. You don't need to understand programming logic to use a shared action, contrary with creating an advanced action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources