• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are some of the captivate project files so huge?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There! 
Why are some of the captivate project files so huge, What factors can cause files to be large?
Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you exactly talking about: the raw cptx-file or the published HTML (or SCORM) folder?

It may be due to using images in a very high resolution, and resizing them in Captivate, about audio or video with a quality which is too high and is not adding more efficiency to the learning process. If you gave more details, it would be easier to answer. Including the OS and the exact full version number you are using is always useful as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jutigrana,

Lilibiri's request for more details remains valid. But when you say "captivate project files" I assume you are talking about the CPTX project files. There might be a number of reasons for a huge file size:

• the number of slides
  • all imported media (images, svgs, audio, video, web objects like oam, backgrounds etc.) go into the Library and increase the project's file size
  • the Library might contain many media files which are unused in the actual project. There is a button: Select Unused Items to detect those and delete them
  • Image, Video or Audio files might need better (file size) optimization

These a some reasons for massive file sizes. Please tell us your file size which you consider as huge. Generally speaking Captivate's project files are relatively large. In my experience I can't remember a CPTX file smaller than 30 MB (in my practice).

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kdmemory  You may be correct about the cptx file. However I would add that the output folder will not benefit from deleting unused items in the Library. I would be very careful with using the option 'Select Unused items' and delete, because in recent versions I often see items indicated as unused whereas they are used. Recently I sent another bug, where I have a Shared action which is ised several times, being indicated as being Unused. Same happened with images in states. 

The size of the output folder is very important on the contrary. It can be estimated using the panel 'Project Info' which has a check button to estimate that size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking about the CPTX project files (the raw cptx-file). My CPTX project files is over 1GB and some just 300MB. 
Thanks
Jutigran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To get to that kind of filesize you would normally have a lot of videos or high resolution photographic images.

How many slides are there?

If you have videos, how many and what is their total filesize?  (MP4 videos are already compressed so the compression the CPTX uses is not going to make them any smaller.)

What about high res graphics?  Have you pre-processed your images in Photoshop beforehand so that they are exactly 100% of the size they need to be before inserting them into Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources