• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advanced Actions

Explorer ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Captivate 2019 (11.5), I see many Existing Advanced Actions i.e. FLIPCARD02V2 with 3 variables already defined.  

What I'm not finding is help on these actions.  For instance, a demo of what they are supposed to do, how to configure them, etc.  

Is there any documenation, help text, etc to see what advanced action they perform and how to configure them?  

Thanks,

IDOLProff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 7 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

You are talking about the Quick Start Projects? I have to disappoint you. There is NO documentation whatsoever about the actions in thos projects.  I have helped alreadys ome users with explanations. If you have issues with some actions, just tell me from which Project, which slide(s) and what you want to do.  Some of the advanced actions are OK, ot of them do have superfluous commands.  If you visit my blog, you'll see that I am writing about advanced/shared actions since over10 years. It is re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Flip card 2.  As far as I can tell, it's non-responsive.  Since i'm new to this version (previously v4.5 in 2010), I'm not sure how to tell the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Rather simple advanced actions for the flip cards themselves:

• They have an 'active' state which will be made visible. It has text instead of an image. The image itself is a bitmap image which is used as button. The Rollover and Down states have been taken out. A custom state was added, which is labeled 'Active'. 
  • Spin effect is applied to the card as a visual effect mimicking flipping the card.
  • And the card is disabled, to avoid clicking it again (which would not return to the Normal state, tha

Votes

Translate

Translate

There are no variables on that slide.

But you have broken ALL commands. The original advanced action was this:

FlipCard.PNG

In your file you probably do NOT have an object with the name 'FLIPCARd+..... Since the action needs that object in the three commands, all of them are replaced by the default Continue.

That IS the biggest problem with most acctions in the Quick Start Projects. You are meant to use them as they are. In your case you should have replaced the images in the original slides, and kept the n

Votes

Translate

Translate

Just switch from the original image to your image. I'm sorry, but they have used a shape filled with an image (thought first it was the bitmap image itself, don't know whay they did that, to make it more complicated?)^:

MyFlip.PNG

Click the Browser icon to replace the present file by ours. Make sure the image has the same size, and it is easier when you import it first to the Library.

Go then in the Object state, to replace the text on the second state 'Active'.

Check the addnvaced action (Actions tab) to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Keep it with the advanced actions at this moment. Repeat the same workflow for the second and the third image. They have similar advanced actions. Replace the image, and the text in the Active state. Do not try to mess with the actions themselves, that will keep you safe. I continue to plead for integration of reusable shared actions. Designing shared actions needs another 'mindset' to make them very useful. The crash couse I showed you is only about 'using' them, not about creation. Have lots o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Duplicate the first flip card slide All items will have a new name and the
Actions will have adapted. Follow same workflow to replace images and
states content.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about the Quick Start Projects? I have to disappoint you. There is NO documentation whatsoever about the actions in thos projects.  I have helped alreadys ome users with explanations. If you have issues with some actions, just tell me from which Project, which slide(s) and what you want to do.  Some of the advanced actions are OK, ot of them do have superfluous commands.  If you visit my blog, you'll see that I am writing about advanced/shared actions since over10 years. It is regrettable that they didn't choose  shared actions, lot easier to use by newbies. Have a look at those two videos which I created recently:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/who-is-afraid-of-dot-dot-dot-shared-actions-crash-course-lesson-1-video

http://blog.lilybiri.com/who-is-afraid-of-dot-dot-dot-shared-actions-crash-course-lesson-2-video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response.  Yes, this is from the Alliance quick start.  Specfically the 3 pic Flip Card slide.  I'll check out the links you sent.  Thanks very much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flip Card 1 or Flip Card 2? Responsive or not responsive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flip card 2.  As far as I can tell, it's non-responsive.  Since i'm new to this version (previously v4.5 in 2010), I'm not sure how to tell the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather simple advanced actions for the flip cards themselves:

• They have an 'active' state which will be made visible. It has text instead of an image. The image itself is a bitmap image which is used as button. The Rollover and Down states have been taken out. A custom state was added, which is labeled 'Active'. 
  • Spin effect is applied to the card as a visual effect mimicking flipping the card.
  • And the card is disabled, to avoid clicking it again (which would not return to the Normal state, that interaction is not included).

What I told about Shared actions applies here as well. If this was a shared actions, it would be a breeze to reuse that action anywhere on a slide just by triggering it on a similar multistate interactive object to which a custom state was added.   Not only an image used as button, but also a shape, a group, a SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the 3 Continues in the Variable listing for Flipcard02v2 applies to each of the images for the active state.  

Is there a link that would explain using/adding variables for the Active state to to trigger them?  Do I ned to create a variable for each pic? 

Idolproff_0-1589827416169.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no variables on that slide.

But you have broken ALL commands. The original advanced action was this:

FlipCard.PNG

In your file you probably do NOT have an object with the name 'FLIPCARd+..... Since the action needs that object in the three commands, all of them are replaced by the default Continue.

That IS the biggest problem with most acctions in the Quick Start Projects. You are meant to use them as they are. In your case you should have replaced the images in the original slides, and kept the names. This is really not well done if ussed by newbies.

If it had been a shared action, you would only have to define the flipard name, and the name of the custom state and it would work.

I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.  

If I'm ready your response correctly, it sounds like I need to insert a new Flipcard slide and add the images/text without changing the names of what's already there? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just switch from the original image to your image. I'm sorry, but they have used a shape filled with an image (thought first it was the bitmap image itself, don't know whay they did that, to make it more complicated?)^:

MyFlip.PNG

Click the Browser icon to replace the present file by ours. Make sure the image has the same size, and it is easier when you import it first to the Library.

Go then in the Object state, to replace the text on the second state 'Active'.

Check the addnvaced action (Actions tab) to see if it looks like what I showed before.

Test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really appreciate all the help.  I think I'm getting it.  2 other questions: 

1.  Once I get this advanced action working, I want to save it as a Shared Action.  When I try to save it, it's asking me for the starting Parameter Value.  What should that be set to? 

2. Instead of creating a new advanced action for each image, is it easier to duplicate a previous advanced action and then updating it with the new image name? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep it with the advanced actions at this moment. Repeat the same workflow for the second and the third image. They have similar advanced actions. Replace the image, and the text in the Active state. Do not try to mess with the actions themselves, that will keep you safe. I continue to plead for integration of reusable shared actions. Designing shared actions needs another 'mindset' to make them very useful. The crash couse I showed you is only about 'using' them, not about creation. Have lots of blogs about creating shared actions, but that is more for advanced users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got everything working!! Thanks for all your help.  You put me ont he right path.  My problem was that I was missing changing to the image name in the dropdown.  Once I did that it made sense!  ID10T Error on my part! 

Hope your help and advice will help others! 

Thank you again! Hope you and your family stay safe and healthy! 

IDOLProff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please close the thread by marking one or more answers as correct? That is meant as guidance for other ursers looking for a similar use case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard last question, figured out the answer.  I had to change the style in the state view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate the first flip card slide All items will have a new name and the
Actions will have adapted. Follow same workflow to replace images and
states content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please mark at least one answer as being correct. To help other users, they cannot find the answers immediately in such a long thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources