• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2019 + YouTube video + CC

New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the Media/Video/YouTube option to insert the URL for a video, then exported as html5, SCORM 1.2

On my LMS, YouTube CC does not show, although it is enabled and works fine on YouTube.

Question 1: Is YouTube CC not available as part of SCORM? If not, is there a way to enable it?

Question 2: In a past forum, someone mentioned embedding YouTube. This may solve the problem above, but I don't see a way to do it. Any tips on how to solve the CC problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Adding YouTube videos in the method you mentioned is great for creating interactive videos but not so great for closed captioning as you can't add your own and users can't access what is available from YouTube. If you want users to be able to access the closed captions you might want to use the YouTube learning interaction instead. It has some limitations but your learners can access the YouTube controls. Here's a video about that feature that might be helpful.

YouTube Learning Interaction for Y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will probably find that YouTube is preventing content from their site being displayed on someone else's domain and that's why the content is blocked.

Vimeo or some other video hosting solution may be a better option as they are more willing to allow content displayed elsewhere as long as you are paying for their subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are paying for YouTube Premium so as to not have advertising. And yet they block CC - interesting.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.  Just noticed you said it was only the CC not displaying.

That might be a different issue connected with the fact that the YouTube CC is not embedded inside the actual MP4 but is generated via a different method. 

Talk to the YouTube support people about that.  Maybe their Help files will give you a clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got YouTube CC to work by choosing the Interactive video option in Captivate.

Now another question - If I embed a video in Captivate, is there a way of uploading the subtitles file I generated in YouTube to Captivate? The Youtube format is .sbv, but I can convert that to .srt, .vtt, etc.

Doing so would save me a lot of work.

Thanks. N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know you will have to type them in yourself. You could fill out a feature request to a way to import those files. I asked for this a year or so ago but not so far. The more people ask for new abilities the more likely they are to provide. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you get Youtube CC to work on an Interactive Video?

When I preview or publish my course, the Youtube CC widget on the video player is hidden. This rules out displaying CC through the embedded video, especially as Captivate won't let me use an adapted iframe that would force the CC to display when selecting the Interactive Video option.

In Captivate, when I go to 'Edit Video Timing' the option to add Closed Captioning is greyed out for my embedded video. 

What is the solution?

Thanks,

Reuben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding YouTube videos in the method you mentioned is great for creating interactive videos but not so great for closed captioning as you can't add your own and users can't access what is available from YouTube. If you want users to be able to access the closed captions you might want to use the YouTube learning interaction instead. It has some limitations but your learners can access the YouTube controls. Here's a video about that feature that might be helpful.

YouTube Learning Interaction for Your Captivate eLearning https://youtu.be/AtRn2b30diQ

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - and you vids are great!

What you suggested seems to work - the CC now shows, but strangely when I publish the SCORM package the video shows for a few seconds, then disappears from the screen.

Question - Can you do 1-1 tutorials (Skype or Adobe Connect) where you can walk me through? I have a specific project for which the client has requested a SCORM package. Happy to pay whatever your hourly rate is.

Cheers, Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I missing something as I do not seem to have the YouTube Learning Interaction in my Learning Interaction list (although I swear it had been there previously.) Was it removed in the most current version. (I am on version 11.5.5.553.) I managed to add it in an iFrame which gives access to the Closed Captioning in YouTube.  Only issue is I can find now way to force people to watch the whole video (that I can determine) as they have the YouTube control to fast forward it.  I was hoping to hide the playbar until the YouTube video completed. (I am using the Skin playbar.)  Am I missing something? Thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erik. It's been a while since I used Captivate (I've moved over to the light-side and am now using Articulate - it has it's issues but there's way less hassle!!!). May I suggest placing a filled box over the top of the video (eg. white or blkack) and make the transparency 99% or 100% so it can't be seen. I believe that should stop people from being able to interact with the video. Forgive me if I'm wrong...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the suggestion.  I actualy got the requestor to agree to not restrict them so I think I am OK for the moment. I am a former Articulate Storyline user who has not used Captivate in a number of years to trying to bone up on everything but several of my first projects ended up being more complex than I hoped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can visit my website at CaptivateTeacher.com, however, I am fully booked until June.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

Was there a final answer about whether the lastest Captivate (11.5.1.449) can access YouTube's closed captions? As a test, I tried adding a YT video that has closed captions, via the Video > Media > YouTube option (as the YT Learning Interaction is no longer available), but when I preview it in HTML and press the CC button in the nav bar, no captions show.

Is there something else I should be doing or is accessing YT's CC's through Captivate no longer available?

BTW, my final video is a recording of a Zoom webinar that provided both the video file as well as the .vtt file. Does YouTube have a way of importing that .vtt file for CC's?

Thanks!

Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources