Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 crashes on startup

Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running Technical Communication Suite 2015, Illustrator and Photoshop CS6 without a problem on an i5 Windows 7 Professional machine. I just upgraded to an i7 Windows 7 Professional machine with more memory, and a bigger disk. I deactivated the old machine and installed everything on the new machine. Everything seemed OK at first, however after allowing Adobe Device Manager to upgrade to Adobe Creative Cloud and taking the updates to Illustrator and Photoshop, Captivate now crashes immediately on startup.

After reinstalling without success I uninstalled everything, ran AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool, and reinstalled everything. I tested every application and everything including Captivate started OK. I noticed the fonts in the browser and dialogs looked very jagged, and attributed this something that the Cleaner tool must have done. I noticed that ClearType was turned off and turned it back on while taking the Illustrator and Photoshop updates. Captivate started crashing again. I'm a little unsure as to whether this is due to the Creative Cloud update or the ClearType business. I turned Cleartype off, rebooted, but Captivate still crashes.

What is happening and how do I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Well, after reinstalling Tech Comm Suite yet again, Captivate is not crashing on startup. I turned ClearType back on, rebooted, and Captivate is still working. It really seems to me that the Creative Cloud update to Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator broke Captivate. I don't know if this is a reportable bug or not and I really don't care to go through the whole process to verify it. Seeing as how this occurred twice after taking the updates, I feel pretty confident that was the cause. At any rate,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, after reinstalling Tech Comm Suite yet again, Captivate is not crashing on startup. I turned ClearType back on, rebooted, and Captivate is still working. It really seems to me that the Creative Cloud update to Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator broke Captivate. I don't know if this is a reportable bug or not and I really don't care to go through the whole process to verify it. Seeing as how this occurred twice after taking the updates, I feel pretty confident that was the cause. At any rate, I'm working now. The proper order might be to install Photoshop, Illustrator, take the updates, THEN install Tech Comm Suite 2015.

The lesson of the day seems to be to install and update older products before installing newer products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources