• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clickable Navigation Menu

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to create a clickable navigation button and sub buttons that also has an X to close the menu? Using Captivate 2019. Thank you.

CaptivateSubMenu.png

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is yes, this is possible.

There would be a number of ways to come at it depending on your level of proficiency with Captivate and the look and feel you want to achieve with it such as simple open/shut menu vs sliding in and out menu.

I would not personally consider this a beginner level task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out Paul Wilson on YouTube.com he has videos of what you are talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm3qOekdsZ4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Yes! This is totally possible. All you have to do is set up everything you want to appear on the first slide, put them all inside of a Group, and then in the properties panel give the group a good name like "Main Menu" or whatever its for, and click the eye so its hidden. Then you can create a button and set it to SHOW the "Main Menu". I would probably suggest using an Advanced Action so that you can show the main menu, and apply an effect to have it scale and zoom open, and maybe play a click sound, and you will also want to program it so the Close Button (which you will also hide) shows up when the panel opens up. You can also set a delay so the panel opens up with a transition, and then after .5 seconds you show the close button. 
 Then the close button would also have an Advanced Action that would hide the Main menu, and then hide the close button, and perhaps play a little boop sound.

Hope that helps! If you need help creating this, I can be hired for consulting or to help build your project.

Cheers,
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very important question, not yet seen from the other users, are you on a Responsive or a Non-responsive project? I do ask this because the workflow with groups cannot be used in a responsive project with fluid boxes.

You are on CP2019 but which version? In 11.5.1 you have the possibility to explore a Branching example in the included Quick Start Projects (Assets panel). If you are rather new to Captivate that may be the way to go.

More lacking information: do you want to have this menu on one slide, or to offer it on all slides as a slide in or pop up menu?

Sorry for all those essential questions. As a bonus, here a link to a blog post (sorry still with SWF example, need to update) where I explain how to use a hyperlink on a character X to close a popup.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/more-is-in-a-dot-dot-dot-hyperlink-close-button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri. Non-responsive. Using Captivate 2019 11.5.1.499. Have used Captivate for 2 years. Would like to offer the menu on all slides with content as a pop-up menu from the "hamburger" icon, but not transition/header slide, the knowledge check or the last slide with links to more training and feedback. Thank you for the blog link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a small project here that uses a menu that I believe behaves in a similar way to what you are looking for.

Beginner Guide To JavaScript 

The project does not show how to make the menu but it is a working example of one.

In this example - the hamburger button is at the bottom left and is used to both open and close the menu.

I am sure you would make yours much prettier than mine. 😉

Here is another one that might spark ideas.

Sliding Panels 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the excellent information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know if you want to go with JS, in that case I will leave you to StagPrime.  My approach is to avoid JS whenever possible. But JS may be the way you want to go.

Here is another blog about a sliding menu:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/sliding-menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri, I'd prefer not to use JS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

have you tried any of the above examples? The way I suggested by simply placing your navigation in a group (no problem with your non-responsive file) and then just hide and show the group as needed. 

No JS necessary! Just some advanced actions.

Hope you can figure it out... if not, I can help... I do training & consulting... so I can either TEACH you how to do it, or I can do the work for you.

Cheers,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources