Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert to html from swf or not?

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I've asked this question before here but then I actually heard from Adobe support themselves that they are looking into a solution that will replace flash, that might help to convert flash content. With that said, they said I could continue to publish in both SWF and HTML.

Have you also heard about this? If so, do you continue to publish your e-learning in both formats? Or do you re-publish/publish in HTML only until this solution is official?

Another question, when previewing in HTML output rollover captions works on some slides and on some not at all. Do any of you know why?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

I've not heard about any recent attempts to create an SWF to HTML5 converter.  It was tried some years ago when mobile devices really took off and it was decided that none of them would support SWF.  But converting Flash content to HTML5 just isn't as simple as it might sound.  There are lots of things you can do in AS3 and SWF that are just not as yet possible in HTML5.

If Adobe has been resurrecting this idea again, they're keeping it very quiet.

My suggestion would be to publish only in HTML5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not heard about any recent attempts to create an SWF to HTML5 converter.  It was tried some years ago when mobile devices really took off and it was decided that none of them would support SWF.  But converting Flash content to HTML5 just isn't as simple as it might sound.  There are lots of things you can do in AS3 and SWF that are just not as yet possible in HTML5.

If Adobe has been resurrecting this idea again, they're keeping it very quiet.

My suggestion would be to publish only in HTML5.  I think that's your safest bet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your respond Rod.

Additional question though, if I still would continue to publish in both formats, no matter the reason I would do so, what could then happen when flash is gone? I mean, since I actually have the HTML version published as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you publish a CP piece to both formats, it creates an HTML file for each format and another one called 'multiscreen.html' (or, at least it did back with v.8  - I've stopped publishing to both so I can't actually verify that with CP 10/2017).

If you create a SCORM file with both versions, the imsmanifest points to that multiscreen file as the launch file...

That multiscreen file checks...something (I think it's just the size of the screen) and either shows the Flash version (big screen) or the HTML version (small screen). 

So...if you continue to publish to both and Flash support just totally dies (it could be argued its dead already), the multiscreen file doesn't know that, and will continue to launch the Flash version when the condition is met (if not screen size, then some other desktop vs mobile flag). 

In short, at that point, your Flash/desktop piece will simply be non-functional at all...UNLESS you launch the index.html file, which loads the HTML version.
If you publish to SCORM, then you'll have to change all the imsmanifest files to point to 'index.html' instead of 'multiscreen.html'.

Overall, there's almost no reason to not just publish to HTML now...unless perhaps your users are stuck on old browsers. All current browsers support HTML5 now that those versions should work fine. The only, slight, advantage to Flash publishing are the few CP features (i.e. some effects) that aren't yet supported in the HTML version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Erik! I believe my reason it's the last thing you wrote about some CP features.

I will not, however, use mobile devices ever, but I assume HTML is still the only way to go for the desktop computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even at this moment some desktop browsers don't have the Flash Player plugin installed by default as in the past. It needs to be activated by the user. Since quite a while I do not publish the SWF anymore, and certainly not to both SWF and HTML because often the multiscreen.html fails. The difference in output between both versions has become bigger, unless you only create very simple projects.

As for the non-supported features in HTML, some of them will work anyway when you limit to desktop/laptop: Slide transitions and Rollovers are two of those features. Avoid Text Animations because they are SWF's. I also replace FMR-slides in software simulations by CPVC-slides, because FMR tends not to work always in all browsers for HTML output. Replaces SWF animations by OAM's (HTML animations).

I didn't want to answer immediately to your question. Similar to Rod I never heard about plans to convert SWF to HTML by Adobe. Captivate is even more complicated than simple SWF's. Wanted to ask who is spreading this wishful thinking? Flash itself is very alive, stil used for most games around, although the fomer Flash Builder app has been renamed Animate CC and can also be used to publish animations to HTML (with its limitations). I wonder if some people who are not well informed are seeing this as the 'conversion'' tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri.

I actually did hear it from the support themselves. Although, nothing more than they are working on something that might help convert flash content. With that, nothing is official or final yet. They mentioned it will be informed on their website when the day comes.

This might be a stupid question, but replacing FMR slides by CPVC, did you mean just replacing with video slides? if so, what about the interactions in my simulations?

And replaces SWF by OAM, did you mean I have to use Animate CC for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was talking about the Full Motion Recording slides, which I did see do not play always in HTML output. That is why I replace them wit a slide recorded with the Video Demo funcitonality included in Captivate (those files use extension cpvc). Either you record those video demo slide separately and insert them to replace the FMR using Insert menu, option CPVC-slides. The second workflow which I mostly use is to stop the recording of the software simulation when a video (FMR or Video Demo) cannot be avoided, and use the Big Button Slides, to capture a Video Demo slide. After that slide you can continue with the normal software simulation slides.

OAM is a HTML animation. It can be created with Animate CC, but also with Edge Animate (not further developed but much better UI) or with other applications. Or you can find/buy them on the web.

Captivate has offered the possibility to publish to HTML output since many versions, I am really sceptical about a magic way to convert CP published SWF (with its companion files) to a functional HTML output.  I wouldn't bet on it, and face the situation where suddenly all eLearning courses are not functional anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah you meant the FMR option in the recording setting window! Now I got it!

Last question about this, the big button slide, did you mean the button where you choose the option Video Demo Slide?

Thank you Lilybiri, Rod and Erik for all your help and guidance in this! I appreciate it a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Big Button Bar is the toolbar on top, first button is Slides, second button is Themes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are in the process of republishing all of our Captivate videos in HTML5 only. Before we republish hundreds of videos, can anyone tell me if we can get the same results by directing our existing links to the existing index/html within the folder of the already published "multiscreen"? It works but I don't know if it will work as well as republishing as HTML5 only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not publish to both SWF and HTML anymore, it is not functional like before if you are on a recent version of Captivate.

You don't tell if you upload to a webserver or to a LMS. They need to be able to run JSON mimetype.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know not to publish to SWF and HTML anymore. The hundreds of Captivates I referenced are posted on a web server. My question is "Do I Need to republish all of them or can I direct the link to the index.html in the existing folders, instead of multiscreen.html?" The links work but I don't know if this will cause any issues down the road with any browsers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would republish!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for my previous short answer, was on the road. You would get rid of a lot of unnecessary files in the published folder only when you republish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources