• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FMR slides showing up blank in Chrome

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project with some screen-capture slides that use FMR for screen scrolling. There are no issues with these slides in our HTML5 output when viewed locally. However, users of the version loaded on a server are reporting that the FMR portions of slides are showing up as blank white screens in Chrome but not in Firefox on both Mac and Windows.

You can see the published project at https://teach.mapnwea.org/impl/captraining/StudentTutorialNE/index.html

Unfortunately, the issue doesn't appear until you are a ways into the tutorial. The first place that you can see it is picking choice 2 on the tips slide.

Any clues as to what settings we might look at to alleviate this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For HTML output I try to avoid FMR slides whenever possible, or replace them by video demo slides. I hope that it will be come easier in the future to replace FMR by Video Demo slides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, removing them isn't an option for this particular project at the moment (we'll do it next year.) Any ideas of what might be causing it or how to alleviate it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Flash Player plugin enabled in Chrome? Not sure what it is the cause, but after I had similar problems I decided to never use FMR slide, about two years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I enabled Flash for the site and tried again; no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The captured animated sequence in an FMR slide will usually end up being an SWF file (unless you have specifically captured it as a Video Demo).  These SWF files will not be published out to HTML5 content, which might explain why you are seeing blank slides at any point where FMR was originally captured.

Can you please take a look inside the Library of your Captivate CPTX file and see what format the content on FMR slides is?  Do you seem to have an SWF file for each of the FMR slides?  If so then this would explain your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Rod, that is what I tried to explain as well. The workflow with stopping the sim recording to have a CPVC slide recorded is cumbersome but seems at this moment to only way to avoid blank screens for moving mouse recording in HTML output.

I offered also the tip to avoid  those video slides whenever possible. In many cases there are alternatives for mouse movements: clicking the scrolling bars instead of scrolling them. The only video slides I mostly need are dragging movements, no alternative for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The captures are indeed SWFs. What I can't explain, however, is why the published files work fine in the HTML5 output in Chrome on my laptop but do not work on the version that was uploaded to the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any HTML5 output from Captivate will not contain any SWFs. 

Are you sure you were actually viewing the HTML5 version on your laptop and not perhaps the SWF preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes; this was done by uncompressing the .zip file and running the index.html file from there. I just did it again with a freshly-published file to make sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the first time this is reported, and had same experience. Told already that I always replace FMR slides by Video Demo slides which are mp4 in output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just went through the output, and the FMR slides are converted to .mp4. There are no .swf files anywhere in the directory. FMR.png

I know using Video Demo is preferable, but that isn't an option for this particular file this year as it's already in use and there's no time built into the schedule for it this year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If these MP4s are the same bits that do not appear at runtime from your LMS, have you checked with your LMS Server Administrator to make sure that MP4 files are allowed to be served?  MP4 may not be enabled by default and that might be causing your issue with blank spots appearing instead of the animated sections.

Just a thought.

EDIT: Just noticed up the top of this thread that you said it worked in other browsers but not in Chrome.  If so, then the web server must have MP4s enabled already.  So my suggestion may not be valid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources