• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to insert web object inside SCORM package?

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to put inside SCORM package my own HTML-page and open it then SCORM-course will be publish in my LMS.

So I tried to use web-object in Adobe Captivate and in Address bar inputted /page.html.

Then I published course in SCORM 1.2 and putted my page.html inside this ZIP-package.

After that I publish this course in Moodle LMS and SCORM-cloud.

But then this course was launched  in both systems - page.html does not appear on slide!

In this case I tried to put my page.html inside SCORM package and after publishing to LMS it must be uploaded to LMS like uploading to web server.

As you see I try to use  relative link but it does not work.

What I do wrong?

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

If you are using Captivate 8 or 9, you can zip the HTML page and insert in Captivate as an HTML5 Animation. This should work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Captivate 8 or 9, you can zip the HTML page and insert in Captivate as an HTML5 Animation. This should work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! This method works. Thank you for your advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TLC-MD and all other Gurus out there,

I came across this post as I was researching a solution to a problem I have which sounds very similar to the original posting and wondered if you could assist with any suggestions to a solution.

I too have a Captivate project that has multiple interactive emulators embedded in it but am having issues getting everything working in a Moodle environment. A little history may help in clarification.

This project is a training package containing multiple user interactive emulations.  The emulations were originally built in Flash and the original project was built in Captivate 7. With the demise of Flash, I have been tasked with changing all the Flash emulations to HTML5 and undertaking a complete revamp of the project. I have started undertaking this considerable task using Captivate 2019 for the main training package and (sorry) Articulate Storyline 3 for the multiple emulations,  as this proved the easiest way I could find to obtain the interactions I required without having to digest a manual on JavaScript. Converting Flash directly wasn't an option, it just didn't work.

I have built and tested the interactive emulator which is built in and exported out as an HTML5 package. The emulator is currently embedded as a web object and works fine inside the main training package which was also exported out as an HTML5 package. As a stand-alone package, running directly of the PC all works as expected....so far, so good.

The issue comes when I create the SCORM packages and upload to a Moodle server. I created two HTML5 projects as a test, the first containing a couple of pages from the main training package and a second containing a single interactive emulator. Here I tried both having the emulator embedded as a "web-object" (story.html file for the emulator) and secondly, as an embedded zipped "HTML5 Animation". I then exported (a) both the training package test and the emulator test out as zipped SCORM packages and (b) the second version of the project with the zipped HTML5 Animation and uploaded the packages to the Moodle Server.

The result was that I could run the training packages within Moodle, and the separate zipped emulator package, the training package being embedded into the Moodle interface and the emulator running in a pop-out browser window. Quite why one displays within Moodle and the other in a pop-out window from Moodle, I am unsure....again perhaps you may have some experience on this?

However, in both cases, whether as the web object or the HTML5 Animation, the emulator failed to display within the training package. Instead, I just get an empty box.

Could you, or anyone else out there with more experience in uploading to Moodle than I suggest why the emulator is not displaying within the training package. Also, if anyone could tell me how to always get the training package to pop-out in its own browser window would also be really useful, else the whole feel looks a bit squashed.
Thanks in advance
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you export the Storyline Package as SCORM?

I believe it should not be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I have tried:

1. In Storyline I exported 3 different versions of the Storyline project as normal exports (unzipped):

• 1 for Web
  • 1 for CD
  • 1 for LMS

2. Then I repeated the process, but this time created zipped versions from within Storyline,

So I now have 6 versions of the same emulator

3. Then in Captivate, I created 6 identical slides within the training package and in these, I inserted a single web object into each of the first three slides and a single HTML5 Animation into each of the last three slides.

4. Then I linked each of the web objects to the unzipped storyline exports (story.html)

5. Then I linked each of the HTML5 Animations to the zipped Storyline exports so that I ended up with:       

1.      Slide A Web Object linked to unzipped Web exported storyline story.html
    2.      Slide B Web Object linked to unzipped CD exported storyline story.html
    3.      Slide C Web Object linked to unzipped LMS exported storyline story.htm
    4.      Slide D HTML5 Animation linked to zipped Web exported storyline folder
    5.      Slide E HTML5 Animation linked to zipped CD exported storyline folder
    6.      Slide F HTML5 Animation linked to zipped LMS exported storyline folder
I figured this way I would be testing all the possible options
6 Then I published a non-LMS version and a second LMS version (zipped) from Captivate
7. I opened the non-LMS version in a web browser and checked the emulator functions. All the Web Objects worked, all the HTML% Animations displayed but had but interaction functionality. In addition, the browser put up a message giving me the option to either save or download the zip file.
8. I imported the zipped version into Moodle....none of the emulations displayed. Only white boxes appeared.
On checking the contents of the zipped file, there were no indications that the linked objects had been included. I could find where the emulators that had been linked to lived and had (perhaps foolishly) believed that when I created the package, Captivate would have zipped up all the required components.
I hope this all makes sense as I'm still at a loss as to what to try next.
Here's hoping......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think the non-scorm publish version of Storyline, zipped should be inserted into Captivate as an HTML5 animation.

When you publish the Captivate to SCORM, do not publish zipped.

Look in the WOR folder and make sure that the Storyline file is unzipped in that folder.

Also look in the imsmanifest and check if those files are listed as resources. Some LMS's need them to be listed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I'll have a look and let you know how I get on....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something else I would try (just for the heck of it) is to build a small example simulation in Captivate instead of in Storyline and try inserting THAT as a web object instead.  If the root cause of your issue happens to be some incompatibility between Storyline and Captivate then perhaps your only option might turn out to be that you need to do everything in the one product to get the result.

Just worth doing a quick test to at least check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've been playing around with this and tried Rod's suggestion of creating a test animation, for which I used Animate CC, although I am in no way experienced enough to try and recreate the emulations we have in Animate CC, so that pathway is not an option. However, the small animation I did build worked as Rod had predicted and played as expected when viewed in a web browser, which is a step forward from the emulations, which only displayed in the web browser. So I'm guessing it is just a compatibility issue between the output of something like Animate CC into Captivate and Storyline output into Captivate. Shame, as the isue doesn't exist when a web object is used and viewed locally on a PC, but only exists where the packages need to be loaded up to an LMS.

I could use multiple windows inside the LMS for the different packages, but this is not an elegant solution and would prefer to keep it as a single package with the emulations embeedded within the main training package.

Any other thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but at the moment, it looks as if the whole thing may have to be rebuilt in Storyline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also try looking in the web browser console / debugging area to try and find out WHY the Storyline objects are not appearing.  If it turns out to be something simple, you might still have the option of going the way you originally wanted.

However, if I had to do what you are looking at, I think I would be looking for a way to build everything in Adobe products.  Learning how to build the simulations in Animate is going to give you a lot more flexibility over whatever you could do in Storyline.  The learning curve will be initially steep for sure, but once you crack that nut, you will have just added a VERY powerful ability to your e-learning toolbox.  I am finding that what you can do with Canvas and OAM files in Animate is very nearly nowadays as powerful as what we used to do with Flash and SWF.  It gives me hope for the future of e-learning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice as always Rod, I'll bear that in mind. All options are still on the table

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Rod,

When you refer to Canvas, it that the lms or the html element.

I have been looking for replacement for Flash.

I try svg with smil,css and javascript.

Also A-Frame, three.js and other library.

H5P, Xerte, still looking.

I solve a lot of the nuance of captivate with flash, now I am depending

on Javascript.

WebGL look promising.

I do not want to use animate, after 10 years with Flash.

I do not want to get burned again.

What are you using.

Thank Luis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press f12 in the browser when the Emulation is not showing and see if any errors are being registered in the console.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources