Interactive Video Keeps Playing in Background

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using an interactive video in a course. While it may be normal that a video continues to play in the background while I am viewing another tab in Chrome, is it possible to have the interactive video pause automatically if the learner navigates away from the course?

I ask because I have some overlays set to appear after a certain time, if the video continues to play in the background while they are in a different tab, the video is never paused at those overlay points, until the learner comes back to the tab, where the overlay now appears at the correct point in the video. By this time though, they may have already listened to the audio from the rest of the video, which gives away what answers to select!

I would not hope learners do not navigate away from the course while it is in progress, but it is a possibility because of how this course is displayed on the LMS - it is not in a seperate window. 

If anyone has had any experience of this, or some ideas to control this in Captivate, please get in touch. 

Thanks,

Reuben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 08, 2021
TLCMediaDesign Adobe Community Professional , Feb 08, 2021
You can execte this JavaScript on the first slide onEnter in an advanced action or just execute JavaScript.   It will pause any slide if the tab loses focus. It will then resume when the tab regains focus.   The only caveat with doing it this way is that if it is at the end of a slide, it will resume to the next slide. This can be fixed but it involves more JS to detect the end of a slide.   document.addEventListener('visibilitychange', function(ev) {if ( document.visibilityState === 'hidden'){w...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to program some type of event listener that detects if your browser tab for the course is no longer in focus. This is not a built-in function of Adobe Captivate. You might be able to program something in JavaScript but it's beyond my abilities. 

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. It's not my skillset either, I was hoping for something built in, nevermind. 

Just got to hope the video can keep their attention 🙂

Best,

Reuben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the problem with eLearning. Unlike being a teacher in the classroom we can't see what our students are doing. In my case I design training for adults and I leave it up to them to behave like adults and complete their required training. If I spent all my time policing the bottom ten percent by putting difficult to avoid restrictions in my courses, the course would be not very enjoyable for the top ninety percent who are responsible for learning what they need to learn (just my two cents).

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can execte this JavaScript on the first slide onEnter in an advanced action or just execute JavaScript.

It will pause any slide if the tab loses focus. It will then resume when the tab regains focus.

The only caveat with doing it this way is that if it is at the end of a slide, it will resume to the next slide. This can be fixed but it involves more JS to detect the end of a slide.

document.addEventListener('visibilitychange', function(ev)
{
if ( document.visibilityState === 'hidden')
{
window.cpCmndPause = 1;
}
else
{
window.cpCmndResume = 1;
}
});

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I've never tried executing JavaScript in captivate before, I'll give it a go!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually works, thanks so much.

With my lack of knowledge, unsure if this should be current, top, or parent - but all seem to work in any case.

Cheers!

Reuben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really should be current

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines