• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unknown exception: ..\..\..\source\components\ziputils\CPInternalZipUtils.cpp716

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently updated to Captivate 2019 (most current update) and am experiencing difficulties in saving/conversion of older (.cptx) files. The file opens correctly, but upon saving as a different file name, locks. (on Windows 10 PRO, 64 bit).

This error is received when the application locks up, and clicking on it only brings the same error up over and over again:

Unknown Exception: ..\..\..\source\components\ziputils\CPInternalZipUtils.cpp716

In addition werfault.exe is seen as being problematic by my anti-virus. An alert tho this effect pops up after forced closing out of my locked Captivate 2019 application. werfault my only be error reporting after the hung app is closed, but may be connected.

Has anyone experienced something similar, and if so, have you been successful at a remedy?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

I've created a new thread here for the latest updates on this issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/captivate/having-trouble-saving-adobe-captivate-files-on-microsoft-windows/m-p/11892489#M289474

Short answer: Engineers are recommending that you temporarily work offline (disconnect from the Internet) to avoid the file open, save, new and other errors that have appeared.  Please see the above thread for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 217 Replies 217
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I would try...

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 2019 x64\utils

Double click on CleanPreferencesWin.bat

This will reset your installation of Adobe Captivate back to its initial installed preferences (you will lose any settings).

Also...

The file werfault.exe is part of the Windows operating system, specifically to report Windows errors back to Microsoft. I'm not a software engineer but it's possible you have corrupt Windows system files. Here are my steps to checking and correcting for this.

Open a command prompt with administrator rights and type or copy and paste each line below and hit enter. Wait for each step to complete and then copy and paste the next line and so on. Don't worry if there is nothing wrong with Windows. This is non-destructive and if there is nothing wrong with your PC these steps won't harm your computer.

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

chkdsk /scan

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul, I'm getting the same issues. I was fine yesterday. Today I cannot save my files. Started getting the zipUtils error. I have opened multiple CP files but none will Save As to a different filename. I have tried a few different CP files with same results. I also tried to clear my eLearning assets and cache but it did not reset my preferences. My default saving location is in a custom folder where I have my working files. CP saves as to the default My Cp Projects folder even though my custom location is still appears in the preferences.  Any more suggestions? Neither clearing eLearning assets and nor running CleanPreferencesWin.bat made any difference.

I'm on Win 10 with Ofc 365. Cp2019 v11.5.5.533

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem; just started today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone also experiences images disapearing from their work along with this error during saving? Images are still in timeline but have just disapeared from my slides? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have been experiencing the errors AND this issue. Slide thumbnails showed the images, but full size view didn't. I just ran Captivate offline and none of the errors occurred, and all images were in my slides (which was a relief).

I updated Windows yesterday, and uninstalled and re-installed Captivate this morning (before realising this was a wide spread issue). Only thing that was worked so far is working offline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Glad to know this is not just me. I have to say coudnt have come at a more inconvienent time with projects due shortly.... Hope it is resolved soon. Sorry may be a stupid question, but when you say using captivate offline, do you mean not connected to newtweok/ internet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, disconnecting my wifi and then launching Captivate. It was suggested in this thread, and has been the only thing that as worked (running in Admin mode didn't work for me). I disconnected wifi, launched Captivate and it opened with no errors, I was able to open an existing file (which had errors and image loss when online) and all images were showing. I was then able to save the file, and close down captivate - all without any errors at all.

Come back online and having all the errors again.

So we will all just have to work offline until a fix is found, unfortunately. But, i guess, at least there is a fix of sorts that makes the software usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly having the same problem, on multiple production workstations. We can no longer save our work, and even when exiting without saving we get the unknown exception. Cleaning the preferences did nothing and all three workstations are working perfectly. Captivate 2019 for Windows 11.5.5.533. Need a solution yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that my reply to the original poster was from several years ago. I don't believe this is the same issue as Adobe Captivate has experienced several updates since then. I too am experiencing problems today as well. I'm sure Adobe will provide an update quickly due to the number of people this is affecting.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issues as everyone else.  Same verson.  Error trying to save.

sharonm25758585_0-1615584826942.png

Images missing. 
When I close Capitvate through Task Manager I can't open my file because it says it is already open.  Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

HAve the exact same issue - just that doing CleanPreferences.bat doesnt help...

Any other ideas?

thx

- Reinhard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue. It just started today. Been working in Captivate all day yesterday with no problems. I tried the suggestion above and that didn't fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check which exact version number you are using under Help, About Captivate? Are you on Windows or Mac? Is this also linked with the original question about converting older files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I also have the same issue, starting today (yesterday was all fine)! I am using Adobe Captivate 19 Release Version 11.5.1.499.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following this - running into the same issue. Are other users using Office 365?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened to me too, I did some Microsoft updates earlier this morning, maybe that caused the problem. Since then I restarted the computer and it seemed to go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, mine did not go away with a restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the issue as well as Office 365, but I'm not sure why it would be related to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're still on Office 2016

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10

Adobe Captivate 2019 Release 11.5.5.553

My issue doesn't have anything to do with older files. I can create a blank project and save it, and after making a few changes, the error happens when I try to save.  Worked great yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue happening for the first time today, version 11.5.5.553.

I'm also having trouble opening cptx files, as it says they're open already or damaged. I have to clear my cache, close Captivate, delete the hidden .cpl file, then start Captivate and open the file. Works about 50% of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of our Captivate users is having the same issue on version 11.5.5.533. No Windows updates or anything seemed to have been installed today, and everything was working fine earlier today. 

We tried the other troubleshooting steps and I ensured the project cache was cleared and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have a similar setup and I am not experiencing any issues. The same Captivate projects work fine on my machine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources