• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Collision box ends up square instead of contoured.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make a particle system of hail bouncing off an umbrella.

I have the collision tag on the umbrella. And a Particle behavior with collision turned on on the hail ball

1.png

When I run the scene, the hail falls and things collide but the umbrella has a rectangular collision box.

The collision settings on the Physics behavior are set to "contour" for shape, but the collision box isn't countoured.

2.png

If I make the umbrell not independent I can see the countoured mesh, but then the collision doesn't work.

3.png

I could sware I was able to get this working previously but I don't know how. Is there a way to make a contoured collision box work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Oh, I took a quick look, and made this one change in the rigging, and this is what I get

Umbrella.png Umbrella.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I've tried it so far is to have the snow and object in separate files. Here's what that looks like.

SnowCar.gif

SnowCar.png SnowCar_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I tried it with the hail in a sepparate puppet but the problem is the same. Could this have something to do with the last update Oct 2019?

I looked at the physics playground example puppet here:Character Animator Examples and it seems like all the balls in that scene have square collision boxes.

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 1.10.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The example I posted is done in the latest update, using puppet files from earlier CH releases. The umbrella seems to be causing the problem. If you post a link to your project I could take a closer look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be amazing! Here's the project Dropbox - Umbrella Test.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, got it. I've something I have to do right now, but will get to it in a couple hours. In the meantime, I did a test with both in the same puppet and I see the same thing you're seeing. So right now it's a mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I took a quick look, and made this one change in the rigging, and this is what I get

Umbrella.png Umbrella.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. So the key was to make the main group independent. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since posting above I have done some more testing, and found that changing the independence doesn't always work. Another way I found to get the particles to follow the umbrella contour is, after everything else is set up, to just move a handle on the umbrella in the rig panel. It doesn't seem to matter where the handle is moved. I have no idea why this makes a difference, but it seems to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just move an existing handle? That sounds like it is triggering a cache flush or similar. if repeatable sounds like s bug report candidate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines