libgit2 error

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please help!! 
when I open my project, Im gettitng this error:

3.png

i had many puppets and other files in the project and it's very important for me to open it 😞

TOPICS
Bugs , Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

If you open the file Ch Data/repo.noindex/refs/heads/master in a text editor and paste in the below string of letters/numbers and save it, the project should open again: 

0f99058b0912dd880db2d7a49910c99fdba6274e

DT

P.S. You may still want to look for other explicit or automatic save points in the history panel, but this one will at least get the project to open again (it was the most recent I found).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm a member of the Character Animator team. If you can post (or direct message) me a zip file containing the "Ch Data/repo.noindex" subfolder of your project, I may be able to help get it back in working order.

Dan Tull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually wait, I see you sent me a direct message already. I'll download that and take a look and get back to you soon.

DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the file Ch Data/repo.noindex/refs/heads/master in a text editor and paste in the below string of letters/numbers and save it, the project should open again: 

0f99058b0912dd880db2d7a49910c99fdba6274e

DT

P.S. You may still want to look for other explicit or automatic save points in the history panel, but this one will at least get the project to open again (it was the most recent I found).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much Dan! 
could you tell me what causes this error? how can i protect my project to avoid this again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually this kind of error only happens if the project does not get closed cleanly. It can sometimes happen if there's a power outage or other abrupt closure of the project. It could also happen if the project were on an external drive that was unplugged without unmounting it or (in rare cases) by an application crash, though usually it's a filesystem flushiing issue (like the power outage/disconnection cases).

DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

 Similar issue, though the solution mentioned doesn't work. Help please!!

Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 13.45.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the solution on this thread (the particular string of characters for that master file) will probably never work again, but if you want to zip up the Ch Data/repo.noindex folder and private message me a link to download it, I can probably help diagnose your issue and see if I can repair the project.

Dan Tull

Character Animator Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I know you posted this reply a long time ago but I am having the same issue. I have attached a link to download my repo.noindex folder. Would you be able to take a look and attempt to repair the project? I am so worried that all the work I put in is gone. Also, I am using CH version 22.5. I can't upgrade to the new version because my hardware is outdated. If I do get new hardware and get the newest version of CH, will these old project files open? Thank you so much for your time. Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14mbSr42HDY8XBkRQtK9h-kI1Ghf0MNeA/view?usp=sharing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied to the private thread about this project with some questions on the 3rd, just in case you didn't get a notification I'll reply here as well. The project seems older (opened in 3.5 instead of 22.5). The master ref was invalid and that was easy to fix, but the much older dates make me think this may be an older copy of the project. Let me know and we'll see if we can get you back to good.

Dan Tull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have same issue but the only files ing folder are this 

LhordKamedaki_0-1669617446242.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting with version 4.0 we changed the project file format to fix almost all situations where this type of corruption can happen. What version of Ch are you using? OS version? Please share a screen shot of your exact errror.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 11 Pro, OS build 22621.1413

All I want to do is save a project on my external USB drive.  I have git on my system, but there is no repository in this drive.

error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply. I thought I'd responded to this, but apparently missed it.

This reinitialization git error message is related to an updated version of the libgit library being overly paranoid about file ownership settings which can misfire (especially on network volumes but apparently in some USB drives as well). The latest Beta builds have a fix that should address this issue. The Beta builds install side by side with current released builds and (at least currently) use the same project version so they can interoperate freely. The main difference is that beta builds get updated much more frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Confirming that I had the exact same issue and I was trying to open a project file on USB drive.

When I opened it on my local desktop, it was working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines