• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My character mouth is flashing on and off...

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've read through similar problems on the forums and none of the solutions seem to help me out. I think I'm getting close to understanding the cause, but I don't know how to fix it. I think it has something to do with the layer cycles for "Aa" visemes, and possibly the "Uh". 

I've watched the Okay Samurai tutorials and can't seem to figure out where I went wrong.

Everything else seems to be working well enough for me to use. Only if the mouth would stop flashing.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate you're time. 

Rik

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Your Ah / A 1 layer seems blank? So the first frame of the cycle layer shows nothing (hence the flicker)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is some of the visemes are bound to the wrong layer (or not bound to any layer). If you look in "Lipsync" behavior, it shows which layers the visemes bound to. You could check they are all correct there (did they bind to the layer you expected?)

The other thing you can do is create a recording, then put playhead over a viseme. You can right click on the viseme to change it (drop down menu) - go through each viseme one by one to see if they are all working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying so quickly! I'll triple check the layers. And for the cycle layers behaviours, A and U, the bounding sound mouth would be on JUST the folder, correct? I think the only one that I needed to "assign" was the W-Oo, and that was because I miss labled it as "Wo". 

I supposed I could just accept that his mouth flashes and I can fix it in post with teh playhead over workflow. sure would have been nice if he just worked. I did the samething in the non-beta Ch and I didn't have any flashing on my other characters. I'm almost tempted to start from scratch and bring the photoshop doc into there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, on the folder. No idea why its flashing - usually there is a reason. It can be educational to diagnose as you learn more about problems for next time (rather than starting from scratch). But tags can be finicky. You get one stray tag on the wrong layer and things can go really crazy at times. That is why I check tags first (e.g. look at Lipsync paths for each layer and make sure they are all siblings under the parent - if one bound the the wrong layer it gets really confusing).

Doing a recording in a timeline and checking each viseme there is the utimate check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the recording test I did is how I was able to narrow it down to the A and U sound visemes. But yes, you're correct about the tags. I did the left arm and right arm the same way for this character I'm working on, and for some reason the left arm pulls on his face when reached out... I see no difference in how the handles are set up and tagged. In fact I redid it to make sure it was as close to the right arm as possible. Even enabled Arm IK. But I can deal with the stretch face with the arm... it looks kinda old cartoony.... but the flashing mouth is... just unacceptable. Unless it can be fixed in post... which would kinda suck because... that's the main meat and potatoes of Ch! To cut down post production, the switching out of visemes is for tweaking and fine-tuning... I might as well just do frame by frame animation. Is there a chance that the frame rate could be causing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be something like the cycle layers does not have "hold on last layer" set? So it plays the cycle layer then disappears?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do, I even did what someone suggested with using the "Blank" character and copying the behaviours and pasting them to my cycle layers for the Aa and Uh visemes. I'm really at a loss. And with this program... I'm sure it's something so simple, but so tiny I'll be kicking myself once we find the solution. I really appreciate you helping me brain storm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the puppet? If you use "export puppet" from the menu, can you upload to google drive or similar and share a link? Normally start with screenshots, but harder ones are best solved looking directly at the puppet. (Feel free to direct message if you don't want to share publicly.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly can and will, I'll share the link first thing in the morning. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Ah / A 1 layer seems blank? So the first frame of the cycle layer shows nothing (hence the flicker)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HAHAHA, see I knew it would be something ridiculously simple.... It's so weird how just another set of eyes can really help you out. This is why writers need editors... we just see what we wrote... not what's actually there! AlanK, I really hope this is it! I've a feeling it is. I'm going to work on it, and see where I went wrong. THANK YOU very much for your time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THAT DID IT! THANK YOU AGAIN!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines