• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import Character Animator to After Effects (2018)

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each and every time an Adobe update goes into effect I become extremely worried because inevitably it does nothing but cause me a great deal of headache and loss of productivity. This time, it seems I can no longer import a Character Animator recording into After Effects 2018 (CC) because that functionality appears to have vanished (script) and any apparent help in rectifying the matter seems to be unavailable. I was not in need of an update and wish that updates were optional or at least come with the ability to be reverted to previous versions without further issue.

Now that I have voiced my complaint: I have uninstalled/installed the latest versions of both AE and CA but I am still unable to create a dynamic link between the two and the script that used to allow me to import CA to AE is no longer present. It seems I am now left with performing a standard import of CA .png sequences along with the import of the associated .wav files then painstakingly matching them together in AE. If there is a better way to accomplish getting CA (CC) into AE (2018 CC), I am eager to know.

Thanks. 

TOPICS
Dynamic link

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

OK, with no Adobe apps currently running, launch Character Animator and wait for it to start up, launch After Effects, then try the import. Still the same issue?

I'm assuming the .chproj was created in the latest Character Animator CC 2018 and not from an earlier beta version, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you select that "Scene - JOEY" scene in the listbox, the OK button still is disabled? It should be enabled once you select a scene.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that if both Character Animator and After Effects are running, you can simply drag the scene from Character Animator's Project panel into After Effects' Project panel. Just start the drag operation, Alt+Tab to After Effects, then drop it into After Effects. No need to import from the .chproj file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok looks like I'm an idiot, it wasn't obvious that I needed to click on the scene name

Seems to be working

thanks

Lance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to import my file from After Effects I get this message. If I just drag the scene it will show but it does not include the recordings.

This library folder doesnt exist at all on my computer.

Can anyone help?

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 11.02.27 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now this one

Screenshot 2018-05-28 11.59.08.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That "com~apple~CloudDocs" might be iCloud? Are you creating your CH project folder in your iCloud folder? Can you try creating it in a folder that's not continually being synced? A CH project folder contains several files, and the continual syncing/scanning of files might cause some issue.

I'm surprised just dragging the scene from CH's Project panel into AE's Project panel didn't include the recordings. Trying with a project whose folder isn't in iCloud would hopefully help diagnose/isolate what might be going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, you were exactly correct. My files had not downloaded fully onto my hardrive on my other computer. Once downloaded everything was back to normal.

Cheers,

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines