• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Example of how to "attach a callback handler to the CFMAIL tag to get delivery notifications."

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've been looking at the ColdFusion feature list and under Email Management, I read "Attach a callback handler to the CFMAIL tag to get delivery notifications." Can anyone provide a link to an example of what this looks like? Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find anything that describes how this should work. I found out that OpenBD has a way to do this, so I took a guess that CF 2018 might work the same way.

CFMAIL / OpenBD CFML Manual

In OpenBD, you can add a CALLBACK attribute to the CFMAIL tag, and point the value to a CFC with two methods to handle mail being sent or not - it's not clear whether the success handler method should be named onMailSend or onMailSuccess, but that's not important I guess since my testing didn't get that far.

So I tried that in CF 2018, with a very simple component with two simple methods that did nothing except use CFLOG. But that didn't work. Instead, I got an error message from CF that the only allowed attributes for CFMAIL are:

BCC,CC,CHARSET,DEBUG,ENCRYPT,ENCRYPTIONALGORITHM,FAILTO,FROM,GROUP,GROUPCASESENSITIVE,IDNAVERSION,KEYALIAS,KEYPASSWORD,KEYSTORE,KEYSTOREPASSWORD,MAILERID,MAXROWS,MIMEATTACH,PASSWORD,PORT,PRIORITY,QUERY,RECIPIENTCERT,REMOVE,REPLYTO,SERVER,SIGN,SPOOLENABLE,STARTROW,SUBJECT,TIMEOUT,TO,TYPE,USERNAME,USESSL,USETLS,WRAPTEXT.

None of those look like they'd be used for a callback handler. So, my guess is that this feature was never actually put in, and that the marketing materials got slightly ahead of the actual product features.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2019 Feb 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AndyPetersonCFUGMgr  wrote

Hi. I've been looking at the ColdFusion feature list and under Email Management, I read "Attach a callback handler to the CFMAIL tag to get delivery notifications."

I know of two notifications:

(1)

<cfmail failTo="admin@domain.com">

</cfmail>

which sets the mail envelope reverse-path, the e-mail address to which the recipient's mail server should send delivery failure notifications.

(2)

<cfmail>

<cfmailparam name="Disposition-Notification-To" value="someone@somedomain.com">

</cfmail>

which triggers a receipt notification prompt when the recipient opens the mail. Were the recipient to click on OK, a read-confirmation would be sent to the sender. There are more values of the name attribute of cfmailparam, including:

Message-Context

Apparently-To

Approved-By

Fax

Telefax

For-Approval

For-Comment

For-Handling

Mail-System-Version

Mailer

Originating-Client

X-Mailer

X-Newsreader

X-MimeOLE

User-Agent

Originator-Info

Phone

X-Envelope-From

Envelope-To

X-Envelope-To

X-Face

X-RCPT-TO

X-Sender

X-X-Sender

Posted-To

X-Admin

Errors-To

Return-Receipt-To

Read-Receipt-To

X-Confirm-reading-to

Return-Receipt-Requested

Register-Mail-Reply-Requested-By

Abuse-Reports-To

X-Complaints-To

X-Report-Abuse-To

Content-Alias

Delivered-To

X-Loop

Translated-By

Translation-Of

X-UIDL

X-URI

X-URL

X-IMAP

X-OriginalArrivalTime

Precedence

X-MSMail-Priority

X-Priority

Content-Length

Content-Conversion

Content-Class

Content-SGML-Entity

X-MIME-Autoconverted

List-Digest

Mailing-List

X-Mailing-List

List-Software

List-URL

X-Listserver

X-List-Host

Fcc

Speech-Act

Status

X-No-Archive

See cfmailparam CFML Documentation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I was expecting something to which we could directly attach code, but that sounds like a reasonable reading of the docs.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation