Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Scheduled Tasks - Adobe may want to look into this

Explorer ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings one and all -

I recently tried to create a new scheduled task, and I made enough of them over the years that it should be an issue.

I go through the process, and the get this message:

An error occurred scheduling the task.
For input string: "u=4"

I have no idea where or what this message is referring to.

I look under the Additional Settings, and under Priority in the input field it shows:

u=4.

I know I didn't enter it.

When I change it, it resets it back to 'u=4,' and I get the error message again.
No matter what value I choose, (blank or a number), I get the error message, and the value is back to u=4.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Hi everyone,

I have looked into this and think I have found:

1.  a likely cause of the issue;
  2.  a solution.

1.  Likely cause: Steps to reproduce

1.1  Save the following line of code as a CFM file.

<cfdump var="#getHTTPRequestData()#">

1.2  Launch the code, in turn, on the most recent versions of the browsers Chrome, Firefox and Edge.
A picture of the result:

BKBK_0-1721392224785.png

BKBK_1-1721392386790.png

BKBK_2-1721392478992.png

1.3  Take a look at the headers. You will see that Firefox, and Firefox alone, has the PRIORITY header. The value of this header is i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug, so a few things:

1)  You don't say here what cf version you're running. That could be important, as well as what update you're on.

2) Along those lines, were things working previously on this instance of cf? If so, when did things break (after what change).

3) You say this happens when adding one. Does it happen when adding any? Are any existing ones working?

4) If you did upgrade recently from one version to another, did you import its scheduled tasks? If so, how did you do it (there are a few ways)?

5) Finally, if you may wonder how many others have experienced this, I'll say that I've not heard of it at all before--not here (or elsewhere) in the community, nor in my consulting services (helping hundreds of folks each year). But perhaps Adobe or someone else may have seen it, to offer specific thoughts on it. 

Sorry for more questions than answers, but sometimes by answering them you may help us narrow in on either a solution or more specific diagnostics to suggest. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie -

I'm sorry for not providing more details.   Details do matter!

1)

Server Product ColdFusion 2023
Version 2023,0,06,330617
Edition Enterprise
Operating System Windows Server 2022
OS Version 10.0
Update Level /CF23/cfusion/lib/updates/chf20230006.jar
Adobe Driver Version 5.1.4 (Build 0001)
Tomcat Version 9.0.78.0

adminapi[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] administrator[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] ajax[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] axis[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] caching[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] debugger[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] document[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] eventgateways[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] exchange[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] image[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] mail[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] pdf[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] pmtagent[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468] saml[2023.0.05.330608 2023.0.0.330468]

2) Things have been working just fine since late October.  I don't put in scheduled tasks all the time, but as of October, everything was good.  As for what updates or changes have been made since October... not sure, except for almost regular updates, and maybe a couple of new packages installed.

3) When it comes to adding new tasks, I can't add any new one.  Everything I try has that value hard coded.

It's always Priority u equals 4.   I've tried different options and values to test out creating new tasks, and every process fails. 

There are a number of existing tasks, and I've checked all.  They all have a valid priority value.

4) We went from CF 10 to CF23 (Yes, a big jump).  We didn't import the scheduled tasks from the old server.  I created them from scratch,  just to play with the different parts of the new server admin software.  And at that time, I had no issues.

5) As to how many are experiencing this problem... That would be like Schrodinger's Cat.

You don't know you have a problem until you have to look at it.

Thanks for starting the conversation Charlie!

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

We just noticed this week that we are gettting the same error message. I have been successful in adding new scheduled tasks through last Friday (5/24). However, when I tried to add one on Tuesday, this error message began to occur. Even if I go into an existing task, not change anything, and try to "Submit Changes", I still get the same message.

We are using the following:

Server ProductColdFusion 2021
Version2021,0,12,330257
EditionEnterprise  
Operating SystemWindows Server 2019  
OS Version10.0  
Update Level/E:/ColdFusion/scheduledTasks/lib/updates/chf20210012.jar  
Adobe Driver Version5.1.4 (Build 0001)  
Tomcat Version9.0.78.0

Thanks,

Clark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this happen when using Firefox and switching to Chrome resolves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

renke_parkway,

I tried that and it worked! Thanks for your help. This saves us a lot of headaches trying to figure out how to get around this error to add and edit our scheduled tasks.

Have a nice weekend.

Clark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  This just popped up on a production server this morning and sure enough - Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Doug_E_Fresh , has your problem been solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Doug_E_Fresh , that looks like a problem. Report a ColdFusion bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue! Very frustrating and I can't create or edit any scheduled task for the past 3-4 weeks I'd say. I'm on Coldfusion 2021 Enterprise Update 14. This was an issue on update 13 as well. It wasn't on 12. I've been on CF 2021 for a while. I haven't upgraded from a previous version recently.

For any scheduled task (new or current) I submit changes and it always says "An error occurred scheduling the task. For input string: "u=4"". I found the u=4 under additional settings -> priority. I don't add u=4 there. No idea why it keeps showing up. I clear it out, or also change the priority to 5 (seemed to be what it should be maybe) and click on Submit changes and it gives me the same error. I check priority again and it's back to u=4.

I don't see anything in the logs really. Seems like a client side issue almost. I've tried in Chrome and Firefox on my laptop and on a Windows server. Same issue everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that it's on Chrome for you too.  As soon as I swapped FF for Chrome it went away.  If it's (now) in Chrome too this would be bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the issue in Edge too, which i Know is Chromium based. Can't find a workaround yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you added this, but I added a comment to https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/CF-4222880. Now we wait forever for it to maybe get reviewed. Not sure what I'm going to do in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To everyone experiencing this, let me offer some more thoughts/suggestions. 

First, since "switching browsers" seems to "fix things" for many, I'm suspecting this could be about cookies. Can any of you try a new incognito or new private window, to see if the issue happens then? Or try clearing cookies (even if just for the domain or ip you're using for the cf admin url)? Do both approaches "not work" for any of you? That would itself be a useful diagnostic. 

Second, as for why it's happening to you, it may be some configuration or environmental issue on your end, whether in cf or in your browser or OS. Until we truly identify the cause, we can't know if this is so. 

And I allude there to this being an issue that's not impacting everyone. I want to amplify that: despite the number of you reporting this here, it's not something I've heard about from anyone but you all here. To be clear, I help people use all versions--in multiple places online, as well as in my daily consulting. (Could I have missed some other thread? Sure.)

I'm not saying this to dimish the significance for you. I'm simply clarifying in case you may wonder "how could Adobe let such a significant problem linger, if it keeps everyone from managing scheduled tasks?"

But that brings to mind one more tip that may help some of you: you can also manage scheduled tasks either with the cfschedule tag (very old school) or with the cfsetup command line tool (new since cf2021, allowing management of most cf admin settings via the CLI or json files). I have a talk on using cfsetup, at carehart.org/presentations. Then also, those using Commandbox can leverage its even more powerful cfconfig tool as another workaround to this problem.

But please report if you look into the cookie matter, both for its potential as a simpler solution and useful diagnostic to help Adobe.

(And I can help anyone with any of the above via remote screenshare consulting. I'm afraid I can't offer that for free even for cf bugs: I don't work for Adobe, and I could be kept busy all day but never getting compensated if I offered that.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Charlie - I just hopped onto our production server to test.  Using FF without any changes, I confirmed the error exists.  Switched to Chrome, error does not come up.  Back to FF and opened a new incognito window - error exists.  Went back to FF main window, cleared all cookies, restarted FF and issue still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So weird. I can definitely confirm it still is an issue in Chrome 126.0.6478.183. Clearing cookies, etc. doesn't help.

Ha! Since this server happens to be Windows 2019 server I still have IE 11 on it. I can confirm it's not an issue in Internet Explorer 11! My saving grace. 

I've never really fully figured out cfsetup for scheduled tasks playing around today. I tried to export the scheduletask to a json file, edit it, and then did an import. It didn't pickup the change, even after a restart of the service. IE 11 is how i'll have to do it for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have looked into this and think I have found:

1.  a likely cause of the issue;
  2.  a solution.

1.  Likely cause: Steps to reproduce

1.1  Save the following line of code as a CFM file.

<cfdump var="#getHTTPRequestData()#">

1.2  Launch the code, in turn, on the most recent versions of the browsers Chrome, Firefox and Edge.
A picture of the result:

BKBK_0-1721392224785.png

BKBK_1-1721392386790.png

BKBK_2-1721392478992.png

1.3  Take a look at the headers. You will see that Firefox, and Firefox alone, has the PRIORITY header. The value of this header is in the form "u=N", where u denotes urgency and N is an integer between 0 and 7 inclusive. My hypothesis is that that is where the "u=4" in the error comes from.

It just so happens that the scheduled-tasks form in the ColdFusion Administrator has a field named PRIORITY.

My hypothesis is that the following happens in the action-page of the ColdFusion Administrator when it processes the scheduled-task form. It incorrectly populates the PRIORITY form-field with the value of the PRIORITY header.

1.4  Steps to demonstrate the issue:
(a) Open the ColdFusion Administrator in Firefox. Create a new scheduled-task in the Administrator.

(b) Close then restart the ColdFusion Administrator, and go to the Scheduled Tasks page.

(c) Click on the button to edit the task you created in step (a). 

(d) Press F12 to launch Developer Tools.

(e) Click on the button Submit Changes.

1.5  Examine the request headers in Developer Tools. You will see the PRIORITY request-header. Its value is "u=4". 

BKBK_3-1721395209699.png

2.  A Solution

The solution I propose is to temporarily disable the PRIORITY header in Firefox. To do so, proceed as follows:

2.1  Type about:config in the address field in Firefox, and press <ENTER>. That will open Firefox's configuration page. Press the button to accept the risks.

2.2  In the search field, type priority. You will then obtain a list of all the settings that contain the word "priority".

2.3  Locate the setting network.http.priority_header.enabled. Its default value is true. Double-click on the setting, thereby toggling its value to false.  

2.4  Close Firefox.

2.5  Reopen Firefox. Launch the ColdFusion Administrator and edit the scheduled task you created in step 1.4 (a). 

You should no longer get the error 'For input string: "u=4"' 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great sleuthing. Let's see if that proves to work out for everyone suffering this. Those experiencing it on chrome may need to tweak some steps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really good insight! This sounds right. A scoping issue lol. I'm surprised this isn't more widespread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an awkward workaround for Chrome. And thanks BKBK for spotting the issue.

1. Download the Modify Header Value Extension https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/modify-header-value-http/cbdibdfhahmknbkkojljfncpnhmacdek

2. Go into the settings and add the following to override the Priority Request Header

URL = https://domain.com/CFIDE/administrator/scheduler/scheduleedit.cfm

Header Name = Priority

Header Value = 5

3. Now go to the CF Admin site and work like normal.

Hopefully Adobe will update the code to not pull from the request header and we will be back to normal. My guess is this is an issue as a resault of the scope update: https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/coldfusion-2021-update-13.html#scoped-variable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I happend into this same issue.  I used the fix above and that worked great. 

Here is my system info:

Server ProductColdFusion 2023
Version2023,0,0,330468
EditionDeveloper  
Operating SystemWindows Server 2022  
OS Version10.0  
Adobe Driver Version5.1.4 (Build 0001)  
Tomcat Version9.0.72.0  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to be clear.  I used the FireFox fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation