• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Another performance monitor question

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "plan" was to install PMY on my home server and use it to monitor a clients AWS server instances and fire alerts etc. My problem is that if I manually add an instance to PMT on my local machine to connect to the AWS server it does not connect.

I think the issue is that all instances on AWS are using the internal CF server for admin, running on 127.0.0.1. I do have all the necessary ports opened for PMT and Datastore, and I can access CF admin for each instance using this url format: <my domain name>:8500/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm

If in PMT I set the instance to use something like <my domain name>

and port 8500 and set the correct secret, the result is the html of of 500 server error page when it fails.

So I am not sure how to monitor a remote instance in PMT from my local machine. Any advice appreciated as always!  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's that the PMT is not the simple one-way monitor we would tend to think it was. In other words, you'd reasonably think that as long as the CF instance is accessible (ports opened) to your machine where the PMT and datastore are, you should be "good". But that's not the case.

You ALSO need to open your local machine and the ports for the PMT and datastore to be open to the machine where the CF instance runs (AWS in your case). Yes, that can seem goofy or at least totally unexpected by most. It is what it is.

Try that, and let us know how it goes. If it works, great.

PS If you or others would ask "how would I know that?", it's admittedly not well-documented. The best public discussion of it was in a presentation from Adobe engineer Nimit Sharma (use the "register" feature to be able to view the recording). There was also a discussion forum thread on this last year, where I also pointed out this info. In that case, the person had both the CF and PMT instances on AWS, rather than in your case with the PMT in your local env, but most of the same info applies. (I also point there to that recording, with a plea to Adobe to get some of that valuable into into the PMT deployment guide, which is itself pretty substantial and missed by most folks it seems, from my experience helping people).

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the response. I will take a look at the presentation. Yes I do have ports open on both machines, the ports used by PMT and by Datastore. Not sure why the error happens other than the host I am entering on my local machine to try to connect to the server at AWS.

The ports I have open on both machines are: 8500-8515, 8020-8032, 9250, 9350

Am I missing any?

See the attached for how the instances are currently set up. Using that info what do you think I would enter into PMT on my machine to connect to one of these remote instances?  I think the problem is that the instance CFAdmin urls when clicking the links on this image all go to 127.0.0.1, and the ones to remote port all show 404 errors because there are no sites set up for the internal web server, so when I enter host info in PMT using the domain that the actual instances run under, they do not connect to the instance and instead connect to the IIS web server which knows nothing about PMT or the instances?

On the cf server the cfusion instance path to use for PMT  is: 127.0.0.1:8500

But from my machine outside the network I can't reach that address.

Should or could the instances have been set up running under the IP of the AWS server instead of localhost?

As always any advice appreciated.  Should I have not used the internal web server when setting up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation