Photos look different on my phone compared to photos on the computer.

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I edit my photos in either Lightroom or Photoshop. The photos look vibrant and colourful on my PC, as per the editing I had done. But when I save these photos in my S9-Plus, they look colourless and weird.

Can someone please help me here? Do I have to save the files differently once I edit the photo in Photoshop or Lightroom?

Example 1 -

The photo on PC -

DSC_3173-Edit.jpg

Photo/Screenshot from my Samsung S9Plus -

Screenshot_20180901-212831_Gallery.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example 2 -

The photo on my PC -

DSC_3183-Edit.jpg

Screenshot from my Samsung S9Plus-

Screenshot_20180901-212908_Gallery.jpg

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Hi

The explanation is in the way colours are stored in the image. Each pixel stores the colour as three numbers representing Red, Blue and Green. However what actual colour is represented by each number depends on the colour profile. Your original document is using a profile called ProPhoto.

Photoshop is colour managed. It uses the color profile embedded in the document to tell it how to use the RGB numbers that make up each pixel and correctly display it on your monitor (using the monitor color profile stored in your system).

Many applications (including phones) are not colour managed and just send the raw numbers to the display.

To be safe when sending an image to the web (or to an unknown device) , Export a copy of your image using "Save for Web (Legacy)" and ensure that both  "Convert to sRGB" and "Embed Color Profile" are checked. That way if the other device is colour managed it will use the profile. If it is not , then sRGB will display close to correct on many devices.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The explanation is in the way colours are stored in the image. Each pixel stores the colour as three numbers representing Red, Blue and Green. However what actual colour is represented by each number depends on the colour profile. Your original document is using a profile called ProPhoto.

Photoshop is colour managed. It uses the color profile embedded in the document to tell it how to use the RGB numbers that make up each pixel and correctly display it on your monitor (using the monitor color profile stored in your system).

Many applications (including phones) are not colour managed and just send the raw numbers to the display.

To be safe when sending an image to the web (or to an unknown device) , Export a copy of your image using "Save for Web (Legacy)" and ensure that both  "Convert to sRGB" and "Embed Color Profile" are checked. That way if the other device is colour managed it will use the profile. If it is not , then sRGB will display close to correct on many devices.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, davescm, that worked

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave and Saurabh,
I am also facing the same issue I mean when I edit photo in my laptop and view in my laptop and mobile photo looks totaly different.
I am using Lightroom Classic, as per Dave's reply I cannot find "Save for Web (Legacy)" , "Convert to sRGB" and "Embed Color Profile" option.
Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Preferences > External Editing. Change the color space from ProPhoto to sRGB.

Lr_prefs.png

Save For Web is in Photoshop, not Lightroom.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... it worked perfectely.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another example of why having ProPhoto as default for Lightroom's "Edit In Photoshop" is a monumentally bad idea. Why can't it be sRGB, so that newcomers don't get into this trouble time and time again?

Those who need or want ProPhoto will know how to get it. They are experienced users who waste no time in changing most of the default settings anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

it's safe to assume that mobile devices are close to the sRGB colorspace.

So that’s what we need to give them - they do not have the facility to read the embedded profile so it's important to bear that in mind.

neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should ask if 8 bit or 16 bit is best for external editing and do all apps recognize it?

(Not a frequent Lr user, but I should know what's best practice.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For editing, I would always recommend 16 bit over 8 bit. There is far less chance of visible banding being introduced. As for whether all apps support it, I don't know.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. 8 vs 16 used be quite the religious arguement years ago.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines