• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love how this post is specifically about getting cc on Linux and there is someone that keeps posting about get over it and saying lets move on etc etc etc. If you have Windows and don't care about development on linux why are you even posting on here. I mean really, have fun with windows. We don't like or really care about windows. We care about linux.  it will work on Wine but its slow. Nativity would be so much better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Native Linux support would be sweet, without WINE, etc.  But I digress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also perhaps worth noting, it appears Adobe doesn't support case sensitive file systems: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-case-sensitive-drives-supported.html

I personally find this to be sloppy practice as it's very easy to create a standard that your developers should follow (e.g. use all lowercase or uppercase filenames for the software's assets/libraries). I doubt it would be a huge undertaking, but I imagine this is another stumbling block for porting the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main stumbling block is that Ubuntu or what ever distros to use

hasn't got the Standard Application framework like Microsoft has. For

example, Microsoft provides all the user interface codes to embed in

your product, so the developer only needs to concentrate on features.

I guess, Adobe could start basic versions for all its applications that

can be run in Linux but using the server side scripts like Microsoft has

done for its Office Application packages. As you may know, you can

access Microsoft Office Word or Excel from within Ubuntu and also save

the documents to the HD or USB drive. For email they have Hotmail,

Outlook and MSN which will all be ported to Microsoft Office Cloud by

end of the year and so people using Outlook email client, or TB or WLM

will have to make some settings changes soon. People using the web

browser won't even notice anything as the changes will be behind the scene.

Let's hope Linux users will keep dreaming for the next few years until

they have something else to work with. Adobe has still the best product

range for Windows and Apple Macs. Some say Adobe PDF reader is

available for Linux but I don't have any info about this. Firefpx for

Linux has got its own PDF reader and this works according to Mozilla

Community Forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌really? adobe can't do it because there's no standard way of doing it where half the work is already done, is that what you're saying? There is no "standard" because Linux allows the developers of software to work how they like, use the libraries they want to use and do as they wish. The exact same things you do with microsofts standards are not possible and just as easy after 2 mins on Google to replace anything windows exclusive to cross platform (sometimes better) alternatives which Adobe probably already use for their Mac version. you Microsoft has things in place for the gui to be premade so developers can focus on features? I learned cross platform c# using free software on Linux that did exactly that where I wanted it to. The aim not to produce windows software or Mac software or Linux software, but to just make software and let the user decide which OS to use. I never tried them on Mac because I didn't have a Mac for testing but the only difference between releasing win and Linux versions was the compiler options which literally took 10 seconds to change. when I was testing it, the code ran the same on both operating systems apsrt from windows processes slowing it down on the windows tests.  Also who cares about Adobe pdf reader, there are dozens of readers that do the exact same thing and none of them are relevant to this thread about getting creative cloud, a suite mainly for producing multimedia content such as graphics videos animations and web sites, onto Linux where it's user want it. The same can be said about ms office and anything else because either we don't care, use something else, or have it working anyway.

we are not asking for basic versions, we are asking that we get the same software as windows and Mac on Linux, and bear in mind some of us have/do programming so we know that it isn't much work to port, we know that means it wouldn't cost huge sums of money, we know the industry we work in, we know the Adobe products, we know how Linux works and the only thing we don't is why Adobe refuse to give their customers what they want when it opens their market more, gives them more money and wouldn't require that much time effort or money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well there's one other thing I don't know: Why happy windows users hang around in this thread, instead of just enjoying their privileged situation.

I'm honestly happy for any windows users who are happy with windows and who enjoy that CC is available for their operating system of choice. You're the lucky one, enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using Windows 10 for 2 weeks my desire for a Linux version of Adobe's products has grown even more. I do not want to work on an Operating System that is constantly updated and spy's on you. They only way to Get Windows to to stop spying is to Disconnect it from the internet and disable networking Hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I was having problems besides just the spying, the technical preview I was testing before release worked better then the final release, I lost the start menu for two and got so fed up with windows that I wiped it completely off my laptop including premiere, Photoshop, flash, dream weaver and more from Adobe. I now have it just on one drive (not even the main drive)  on one workstation and as soon as cc comes to Linux, every system I use except my server will have most of the suite installed on each. I'd even consider using media encoder on my file server so it can compress my after effects exports directory to my web storage server which would be extra subscription just for that. Unfortunately I'm down to just one system with Adobe because I hate what windows is becoming, can't get good enough hardware from a Mac (the OS is okay but I still prefer Linux and hackintosh hardware support and stability isn't worth it) and Linux remains unsupported by Adobe despite all its major competition having some form of Linux version to tempt me away from Adobe. If I can find a way to get my regular projects (mainly a video podcast and weekly news show with animated graphics) to work the same in Linux software, which I'm not far from doing, then adobe and windows are both gone though I'd be sad to see Adobe gone, it'd be a worthy sacrifice to have windows gone too. If any staff at Adobe bother to read this here's my summary, I will keep paying if you get linux support and maybe even pay you more, if not, I will cancel my subscription until you bring Linux support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's one way to do it.

i mean a company "should" care about what their customers not only are thinking now --- but what their customers are going to think.

in this case, likely, adobe is measuring current metrics and has made "current" deals, and my honest impression is: adobe does not care.

there are also many requests here on this forum that indicate an increasing tolerance for forced & unnecessary end-user procedural inefficiency.

what would be really ugly, is if adobe, in the future, were to "buy and bury" smaller software startups that provide better solutions -- which would be a sad future not only for adobe -- but for all of us.

anyway, i guess it just makes room for "newer and better" solutions. anyone on this forum is welcome to look me up and contact me in the future with software suggestions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dainiswmichel wrote:

what would be really ugly, is if adobe, in the future, were to "buy and bury" smaller software startups that provide better solutions -- which would be a sad future not only for adobe -- but for all of us.

That's been done for many years - I know of at least 3 companies that were bought by Adobe just for their IP and the company was immediately killed.  It's just business as usual. Over time some of the buyout IP has been incorporated into Adobe products.

Remember that Adobe is a MARKETING DRIVEN company and their collective marketing smarts will always trump a startup TECHNOLOGY COMPANY that has only ONE key player surrounded by drones. When doing an acquisition, the primary objective is to identify that person who has the recipe and dispose of everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should be looking at *nix more and more by the week or month.  Unsure if you all are up to date on the crap that is happening with WINDOWS 10, calling/homing home with personal stuff and cannot undo.  The Superfish Lenovo tried to pull and now they did it again but it is not as simple as removing ssl certs from windows, this time Lenovo screwed their clients royally by embedding spyware/root-kits in their BIOS and regardless if you reformat, reinstall Windows you're still screwed.  Google it because I'm too lazy to post it, the only way to avoid that on Lenovo is a '*nix* distro.  So yea, once CC becomes *nix friendly I'm jumping ship on all 4-5 stations.  Rigth now I'm sitting pretty on Win7 till 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a lot of discussion about Windows vs Linux and where the downs and ups are, but to be honest: I don't care if Linux is better or worse, I just want my software not to bind me to one system. Have a look at Windows 10 phoning home. Now we have to eat this shit, because we're not really able to migrate somwhere else. And Apples OSX is even more closed than Windows.

As a customer, I just want my Software to work on whatever OS I use. As a programmer, I know, this can be work, but hey: they already got it running on OSX, so how far could the step really be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a long time Adobe Photoshop user since version 4 and have been happy with running it on Windows. However, with the recent release of Windows 10 and my horrific experience with the upgrade then having to reload my workstation back to Windows 7, I now realize that my days on Windows is limited. My only other choice is Mac OSX but I'm a geek and do love building my own machines so if I switch to OSX then I'm stuck with the models Apple have for offer for a premium. I have always dabbled with various Linux distros over the years and would love to see a version of CC for Linux.  What if we asked Adobe for a price quote for a version for CC since their main rebuttal is that its not cost effective? We could then setup crowd funding to raise the needed capitol to make this happen. For your contribution Adobe could provide a discount for CC. I would think that some of the larger Linux companies would see a huge benefit from this and thus I would expect for them to also put some funds up to see this happen. If Adobe is right and not enough users are willing to pay for CC on Linux then all the funds go back to the individual contributors and no harm done. However, if we meet the goal then we would finally get what we all want. And lets face it, we already have Adobe code running on Mac OSX which is based on BSD which is a version of Unix very similar to Linux, and we also have Adobe code running on Android which IS Linux under the hood so what we are asking should not be all that hard to do. Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could try a hackintosh build for now or if you only use photoshop, perhaps emulation could work or using an alternative such as pixeluvo which is surprisingly good. however, if those won't work for you, then you are unfortunately gonna have to put up with the disappointing hardware of macs and occasional annoyances of OSX or put up with windows selling you instead of the software that we are forced to put up with. adobe simply dont care about us enough, its not a money problem because the small amount of development time and resources would pay for themselves within the first year of sales just in the people who responded to the get satisfaction thread which was closed 5 years ago for too many submissions. the fact that this thread and many others on more sites than just this one says that there are people who are willing to pay for. crowdfunding has been suggested a few times but it wouldn't succeed unless adobe agreed that they'd do it but they won't. they are barely willing to acknowledge that a linux community outside of servers and android and they still showed off their iOS apps more than android despite them being the exact same apps. they have no rebuttal at all, they are simply uncaring and unwilling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not as easy to build a hackintosh, many have tried and most laptops are not supported.  Most these days use laptops and not custom built to where you can tailor something to work
with a OSX for now and when another major release you might be left in the dark because it will not work.

Crowd sourcing won't work if money is given to the Adobe, they won't even take it.  The money needs to go to a decent project like Wine, PlayOnLinux or some sort of project, if they can get Adobe CC to work *nix platform they can probably get any application that was a native Windows to run on *nix.  That alone would be too scary for Windows or Apple, millions would flood to *nix systems like Mint, Ubuntu, Zorin,
or anything that resembles Windows but would not have to worry about rootkits (like Lenovo & their bios), malware, ransom-ware, viruses and so forth..

Laptops aren't fast enough to VM windows within *nix, I'm sure 150k of funds can give some existing projects a huge bump or potential.. I'm sure 20k people donating 5 bucks (a cup of mocha) one time or several times through-out the year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then this is pretty disappointing. I'm also a professional photographer and I don't really want to try a hackintosh or try to run with wine as I need a really solid platform with good performance and no issues. Someone mentioned that other alternative software is getting better and catching up and they are right. I have been keeping an eye on several other pieces of software which are really decent such as RawTherapee and a few others. They are really starting to get some polish but aren't quit there yet and don't get the third-party plugin support that CC has. I think we have until 2019 when Windows 7 is retired so maybe something will change by then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve Jobs had called Adobe lazy at one point in time. I highly doubt Adobe will ever port any of their software to Linux. "30%? Still not porting to Linux. "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just would like to point there was a Time when Adobe Supported 4 Operating Systems for Photoshop. Macintosh, Windows, IRIX, and Solaris. Seems that when OS X came out they already had a foundation since IRIX and Solaris are UNIX based just like OS X. They supported IRIX, Solaris, and OS X all of which had less than 2% percent of the Market Share at the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because before 1990 unix based systems were extensively used in graphics and desktop publishing so Photoshop and Pagemaker/Framemaker were originally developed by programmers who really knew the flavors of unix. Those people are long gone - retired, riffed, bought out, etc.

I remember the jubilation expressed by programmers who worked with VAX based systems when the first Power Macs were announced - "Now we can program in unix on a Mac!" and they rushed out to pre-order a machine.

The current generation of Adobe coders are hired because of their expertise with Windows and OSX. No one in personnel at Adobe forsaw any need to hire people with Linux skills - so they'd have to contract work out to get anything done anytime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This response makes a lot more sense than anything that Adobe themselves has said as to why there is a Linux cc, but it begs the question, how much of a Linux dev team would be needed since there already a unix version for Mac? could it just be the side project of the Mac team to produce an unsupported version (like how spotify on Linux came about unsupported but now runs just as well or better than the windows and Mac versions) and just give more to it based on demand if needed, or would it need a huge team to start from scratch? based on my experience, the code running on Mac is almost identical to that of Linux software in most cases (and even widows in some as long as no windows exclusive dependencies are used which we know isn't the case for Adobe) and the only thing to change is how the software is packaged. if that's the case, surely one developer at Adobe can just google how to package software for Linux, show their colleagues and then we have what we want with almost no effort from Adobe.

or perhaps a small team is needed to do it properly, just advertise on any job site saying Linux ddvelipers needed at Adobe and they will have a Linux team pretty quick which would cost money but it wouldn't take long for the Linux versions sales to more than pay for it. They've had years of receiving this same request so even though they didn't have foresight into the need for CC on Linux, hindsight should have produced it by now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You  may not appreciate how far the GUI on OSX has diverged from X-windows, Gnome, KDE, etc.

Yes - the fundamental executable code of the Mac based product should run under Linux with little modification - BUT 90% of an Adobe product is about the user interface (the GUI). Way back in the early 1980's when the original Mac 128k was designed Apple wrote a standard graphic user interface in firmware.It has been updated many time since then, but Apple continues to hold the keys to that GUI with an iron fist. Every application must conform exactly to the spec or it may not work. This simplifies many things in the Mac world but it came with a price.

Therefore: OSX is (absolutely) not Linux (it is a flavor of BSD). One of the hallmarks of Linux is the variety of GUIs available - anyone can write their own (though it would be a waste of time unless you have a really big team) and many people have put an incredible number of person years into developing these, but they vary much more widely than the relatively freewheeling MS Windows environment ever did.

And that is the real problem. Should Adobe try to develop for Red Hat/Fedora? Ubuntu/Debian? Gentoo? SUSE? etc? Which GUI/desktop? Unity? Gnome? KDE? Xcfe? In 2013 there were at least 8 desktop environments.

It is going to take a real genius systems architect to make the kinds of decisions that would make it possible for Adobe to build a Linux distribution - and they don't grow on trees. In fact there might not be more than 3 or 4 of them on the planet - and reality is that someone else already pays every one of them at least as much as Adobe can offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the GUI?

one of the biggest let-downs i've experienced with Adobe products is the difference between how i would make the GUI and how it actually is.

another difference is between how i would make the documentation, and the actual state of the documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GUI should be the least of problems. Either you let the system handle it, or you ship your own.

There are apps like steam and blender that look and feel exactly the same everywhere, they just use and ship their own GUI.

Alternatively there are many apps that just use whatever GUI is used by the system and thus may look different on individaul systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe porting software is null. Support existing native software. Start your own cross-platform software project. I would love to see additional viable alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to the GUI posts. If you know much about development, or even if you'v just used the CC versions of Adobe software, you would realize Adobe only uses their own in house framework and only abstracts draw calls (and most likely mouse events) to/from the OS. This is also why the GUI is almost identical for Windows and OSX versions.

In layman's terms, they treat their software window like a giant canvas, and draw in the tool panels and workspace areas like a game engine would instead of dealing with the OS's built in GUI frameworks (of course with some exceptions, like the browse for file dialogue boxes). I really think porting their in-house GUI would be as trivial as creating another abstract library for X-server.

As far as supporting multiple distro's, that point is also fairly moot. Supporting multiple package managers is common place and fairly trivial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines