• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, we already use EditShare Connect on our edit systems and EditShare's GEEVS master control playback server for our TV channel, just FYI.  They have HQ's in the U.S. (Boston, MA), the U.K., and Australia, as well as offices in the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and the Asian Pacific regions.  So they're not chicken feed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have faith, my friends.  Warner Bros., for example, once acted as Adobe is doing, ignoring our pleas (in this case, to get the Richard Donner cut of Superman II released), refuting us, giving us every excuse in the book as to why it couldn't be done, would cost too much, not enough people interested, blah, blah, blah.  Guess what?  We Internet petitioners prevailed.  You can pick up a DVD or Blu-Ray copy today, complete with special features - http://www.amazon.com/Superman-II-Richard-Donner-Cut/dp/B000IJ79WU/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0?_encoding=UTF...

Keep the fire hot on this CC Linux port issue, my friends.  We've given Adobe every logical reason why they should do this, that we want this, and other major creative software and hardware vendors have already done it - in Hollywood, no less.  They can't ignore us or give us excuses anymore.  They should just make it happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the posts from the community all have valid points. I'm going to go express from a different angle. I really like the creative cloud and it's a good start. Maybe what adobe should do is revisit the CC design and make it truly cloud, local platform independent. I understand some of the software like Premiere require some processing power. However, that should be something they look into. Then it should not matter linux, windows, whatever. I fall in the same category of the others where the only reason I have windows is because of Adobe. The rest of my life runs on linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Don't think cloud solutions would be a good idea, not until every single video editor has at least a 10Gbps connection to the servers. which pretty much no one would have currently. Even if they did, adobe would still need to develop a front end for each platform if the backend was in the cloud. This is basically what's being done for photoshop on chrome books but makes no sense for anything like after effects, premiere or audition.

‌also, lightworks from what I hear is great, but I haven't tested it enough to learn it since it is rather different from the editors I'm used to. Blender had the same problem at the moment, I need to learn to use which is a slow process when I'm doing all my other work as well which is why I am forced to dual boot. Adobe should just provide the best software and let users decide what OS to run it on, instead of locking us into choices we don't like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think a Cloud based version of Photoshop is possible either for professionals. For amateurs yes. I routinely have PS files over 1 gig and I have to use PSB format instead of PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A NEW HOPE...

Fingers crossed...

Today I responded to a follow-up with Adobe Tech Support for a totally unrelated issue and offered something for their "suggestion box".  Then I brought up a sort of "speaking of suggestions...", then asked him/her about the Linux port.  I'm not sure about whether s/he was talking about the first suggestion or about the Linux port, but this is what I had written after I made my first suggestion (basically about lifting the 1 GB restriction on file sizes for Adobe Creative Cloud storage):

While you all are at it, how ‘bout some love for the Linux platform finally?  Major companies like Autodesk and EditShare are already doing it (see my posts on “Creative Cloud For Linux (Ubuntu)" - https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1057800).  Right now our department is on Windows 7, and we hate Windows 10.  We’re also not interested in investing in all new hardware just to go to Mac (it was hard enough getting approved for the systems we do have!).  Once extended support for Windows 7 expires, we would really love to have Linux be an option for us on our existing machines, probably a popular Debian-based distro like Ubuntu or Mint (which is based on Ubuntu).  Talk about a performance increase we would get on our existing machines running Linux-native Creative Cloud software!  Contrary to popular belief, we would still be willing to pay our regular subscription rates even after switching to Linux.  If Autodesk and EditShare can make a business model work with Linux products (e.g., Maya and Lightworks, respectively), so can Adobe!

To which s/he replied:

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate your cooperation and your feedbacks to enhance the adobe capabilities.

I will definitely be sending your feedback to our engineering team to take a look at it and to make it work.

It was really nice talking to you. And please feel free to contact us for any issues with Adobe.

Thank you!

I really hope that person was also including reference to that latter paragraph I wrote about Linux.  We'll see.  The tech did say "feedbacks", plural.  Now if only the engineering team can be convinced, and more importantly, if they can convince the suits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah lets hope something actually happens with this but it if not, it wouldn't be the first time Linux support was sent to the engineers for nothing to happen. It happened with the original getsatisfaction petition when the thread was closed and an official response said "its on the table for our engineers" five years ago. I would love it to happen and hope that it does but I wouldn't count on it too much. Especially since I recently installed on win 7 ultimate n edition (because it was the only Iso I had at the time) to find the Windows cc needs windows media player to work and the mac version probably (as well some things in after effects in Windows) uses QuickTime, neither of which are available for Linux.  So Adobe would need to need to use something else for Linux or just use something cross platform for all systems. They may use this as an excuse not to do it but I think it would be worth the work if they want to keep their subscribers and open the possibility for new subscribers in Linux

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think with Adobe being the 800-pound gorilla in the room, if Adobe decided to port its Creative Cloud software to Linux, the whole rest of the creative tools industry would tend to follow suit, I would think.  And if Adobe made this decision to go forward, I would hope they'd coordinate in advance with all the plugin and helper software vendors, e.g., Zaxwerks, Red Giant, etc. before their own Linux release date.  Hardware vendors such as AJA and Blackmagic Design are already on board with Linux drivers.  (In my case, I would also need Digital Juice and SmartSound to make Linux versions of their software and plugins.)  Don't know about QuickTime, though, as that's made by Apple.  If they ported QuickTime to Linux, that might hurt Mac sales...although they already have a Windows port.  To this day, I'm still amazed that Apple ever made a Windows version of QuickTime.  I think Apple ought to ditch QT anyway, they can't be making any money with it, I mean, who buys the Pro version when there are plenty of import/export features within NLE's and standalone media converters.  Everyone ought to go to open standards for handling multimedia anyway.  I wonder what EditShare is using for their media standard, since their Lightworks editor has a Linux version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason I use Windows is for Adobe. I'm still using Windows 7 Ultimate because I despise the interface of Windows 8 and 10 (a full blown joke). Eventually, I'll be Linux only and if I have to forfeit Adobe then so be it.

I'll continue to use Adobe for now, because I've used their products for years and they do have pretty good quality. There's tons of free products that are right behind them though, so it's only a matter of time before other companies catch up. If those companies offer Linux, I'm going to switch and at that point there's no reason to go back.

**The Windows market would obviously shrink massively if ALL software was available on any OS. Ubuntu will only keep growing, and eventually it'll have a good chunk of the market. **

Be proactive Adobe, and add Linux support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a web developer and programmer. I'm working with designers, who use Photoshop and send me .psd files. I can open psd but I can't get some information from psd files like the font information without Photoshop. So I have to keep Windows installed on my second computer. If I could buy a Linux license for Adobe Photoshop my life would be so much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

belka.ew wrote:

I'm a web developer and programmer. I'm working with designers, who use Photoshop and send me .psd files. I can open psd but I can't get some information from psd files like the font information without Photoshop. So I have to keep Windows installed on my second computer. If I could buy a Linux license for Adobe Photoshop my life would be so much easier.

I think you will need to wait for another 10 years (or more).  At present nobody thinks Linux has any future; even Richard Stallman strongly believes that Open Source has been destroyed beyond repair because although they are giving away their work freely, THEY ARE NOT FREE as he wants them to be free.  He thinks the only way forward is to use his software (GNU) and not Ubuntu (he mentions specifically not to use Ubuntu) because Canonical is passing users' search activities to Amazon.  Now he must know something about Linux because he is the founder of GNU!!

I use whatever is available for my work as long as I can make a profit out of it otherwise, I don't use it at all and I tell my employers to look for alternatives.  Adobe products have served us well so far on Microsoft Technology and I see no reason of changing this unless something else better and profitable comes to market.  I thought, desktop is dying, is it not?  Linux may not see Adobe desktop products as far as I can see.  Even the old pdf reader and flash is no longer developed for Linux these days; Is this not the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At present nobody thinks Linux has any future;

ok It would be logically enough to say that I think, that Linux has future in order to disprove your statement, but I suspect there are a few more people than me thinking that.

Richard Stallman doesn't agree with the understanding of the term "free software"... Well... but honestly: who cares, what Stallman thinks? Stallman and FSF did a great thing and founded an open community and made the idea of the free software popular. But free software is developed by the community and is free to be used as the community chooses. There are a lot of opinions in the community what free software is, therefore there a lot of licences and not just the GPL. Whether Stallman agrees with it or not, it is his problem.

I'm currently not an Ubuntu user, I have Slackware Linux installed both on my desktop and my server. Maybe I wouldn't recommend anybody else to use Ubuntu, but anyway I appreciate very much, what Ubuntu does for the popularization of free software. Why Slackware? Slackware doesn't have any "free software" policy like Debian, you are free to use what helps you to get your job done. I accept it if somebody wants his software to be closed; I don't have any problems to install it on a free system.

Even the old pdf reader and flash is no longer developed for Linux these days; Is this not the case?

No. flash is a past technology in the web. I don't have flash installed in my browser for several years and don't have any problems with it. To be honest, adobe could stop to waste its time for the flash development for Windows and Mac aswell. I can enjoy internet radio, watch youtube videos, watch movies without flash. Flash and MS silverlight was the reason I left maxdome for google play movies and netflix. I mean google play (books without adobe's DRM stuff and movies) and netflix support Linux users and win customers this way.

For pdf there are a lot of alternative pdf-readers that are good enough for the common use case for all the operating systems.

The thing with Photoshop is more the case with the OpenJDK. There was OpenJDK and Sun/Oracle JDK. The first one is free, the second one isn't. The first one buggy and unusable, the second one buggy, but not so much. But I just have Oracle JDK installed on my Desktop and on my server and happy with it. If I think of Gimp it has now much better psd support, than some years ago, but it isn't perfect and compared with Oracle JDK and OpenJDK it isn't Gimp's main purpose to support psd.

I didn't use Photoshop for a year or two and installed now a demo-version and I like it, it is nice, it works much faster on the same laptop than the old CS versions. But I can't install it on my working PC. On the other side I can't use Windows on my working PC since the running of a test web server and web development in Windows is a hell (I had some experience  with it in the past). Photoshop is very complex software, it is understandable that it is very difficult to write an alternative editor or just a viewer. I really don't see any solution to the impasse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Linux has no future Why steamos are working to revolutionize the market for video games? Including Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo doubt that the future of gaming is the current format consoles.

But moving away from the video game market in particular I is completely indifferent What if Linux has no future because if you add users of different distributions exceed MacOS use? And because this endeavor with many detract from the work behind Linux?

Are you happy with Windows or MacOS? I congratulate you, and I do not want the software that work with OS do you want to work is there something wrong with that? I'm willing to pay for the product, you can still happy with Windows, Mac or whatever you work, and I will be happy for me, is everything, what they think some of the future of Linux is another thing that truly brings me carelessly, and finally Linux is OpenSource OpenSource precisely because if one of the eminences project leaves nothing happens because there are millions of anonymous programmers nonprofit working to keep the project alive can you say that Windows or Apple? Of course not, if they decide to abandon the development of its products you can already think migrarte to Linux or whatever it at the time because its source code is private and no one they know what they are doing and how they are doing.

OpenSource is not only a method of distributing software / hardware, it is a culture that even now has another name is something that we ever using something as simple as a light bulb do you think that if Thomas Edison had discovered that wonderful invention and had not shown the world its operation could turn the light on at the moment? That's OpenSource, share knowledge to improve and develop ideas, that is the Open Source culture and that Richard Stallman was not invented in 1985, that is something that is with us since man is man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

belka.ew wrote:

Hi, I’m using with success two ways to discover content of PSD files:

But I need also InDesign, Illustrator, etc... working on Ubuntu. It so similar to MacOS. I thing It must be some kind of cartel deal between Apple and Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using with success two ways to discover content of PSD files:

But I need also InDesign, Illustrator, etc... working on Ubuntu. It so similar to MacOS. I thing It must be some kind of cartel deal between Apple and Adobe...

A bit late, but I just wanted to say thanks! This Bracekets editor seems to be a really great thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matter in Portuguese. Speaking about the version of Houdini for Linux. The software version costs approximately five thousand dollars. Proving that software does not need to be free to run on Linux.

Houdini: Software de composição, animação e efeitos especiais 3D para Linux - Diolinux - Linux, Ubun...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, you MUST port your Creative Cloud software to Linux.  Either that, or work with Microsoft to get them to straighten out their mess.  With the recent updates to Windows 10, they've eliminated the ability to turn off automatic updates - which always involve a reboot.  The only other option they offer now is to delay the reboot, but just by always automatically downloading and installing, that tends to hamper performance in any case, especially with heavy applications like Premiere.  Not only that, but one of Windows 10's updates broke the ability to install a third helper software I use in my video editing.  It gives me some error about not having a certain 2008 C++ distributable, or something crazy like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not trying to be a pain, but if there really is staggering support, why not try crowd funding this and dumping the development money on Adobe's front desk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why not try crowd funding this and dumping the development money on Adobe's front desk?"

Heh, knowing big corporations like Adobe, they'd just take that money and do nothing with it, or something else with it, considering it as easy profit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it turns into: do they deserve the love?

let's say i spearheaded just such a campaign. brought in 350K USD per month to start (an estimate) -- handed it over to adobe -- soon generating 10x that much & climbing.

what would i get?

i would have dedicated maybe 2-3 years of my life to a project -- to have the honor of paying my monthly fee?

seriously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you get the money to Adobe?  I admire your passion, but unless we can get a guarantee that any funds we donate to them would be used for the Linux port project, we might as well throw our money in the fireplace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you write your own publishing software?

Or why don't you write your own documentation?

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why don't you write your own publishing software?  Or why don't you write your own documentation?"

BECAUSE NOT ALL OF US ARE SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS!!!  I, for example, am strictly a video guy and don't know how to write code.  Not only that, but don't you think others tried with Blender, Cinelerra, GIMP, etc. etc?  I'm sure they're really good programs for community-based open source projects, but let's face it, it took Adobe YEARS of development, LOTS of money, and SIZABLE teams to make the creative software they have today.  Yeah, the latest versions are very buggy and crash a lot, and that's an issue they need to work out, but the feature-set and integration are super-rich and unparalleled IMO, and I've used a lot of different digital video non-linear editors (NLE's), for example - since 1993: ImMix VideoCube...Media 100...Premiere 6.5...Avid...Final Cut Pro...now Premiere Pro, which is my favorite of all those.  If Adobe would either port the software to Linux, which in my experience is a lot more reliable and leaner than Windows, or, dare I say, open-source it so others could port it to Linux, that would be a match made in heaven.  Maybe they could work the bugs out a lot faster.  Maybe you could.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ebinrock wrote:

BECAUSE NOT ALL OF US ARE SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS!!!

What is the market share of Linux Ubuntu?  Any ideas?

I would have thought that there must be some intelligent Linux users who can start writing "Adobe Look Alike" software packages as they have done with Office packages to look like Microsoft Office.  The reason they are not wasting their time on this is because there is no demand for them.

I still think that there is not enough market for Linux applications because desktops are used by enthusiasts and academics while web servers and data servers don't need any applications to run on them.

Spending time to write something to run on Linux is a waste of time and money.  In fact most Adobe products are designed for professionals who don't have qualms about using Microsoft Windows or Apple Macs.  People who keep begging here for Linux applications are generally hobbyists and enthusiasts who are using Adobe products to educate themselves with a view to getting a full-time pad employment.  I personally think that they should just keep their mouth shut and get on with what ever they are doing and let Adobe decides what is best for it's balance sheet rather than rather than pandering to Linux junkies who have another 10 years to go before it is ripe enough for commercial desktop adoption.  At present it is still Microsoft followed by Apple Mac.  Linux is only talked within the IT geek circles, who don't use any products themselves apart from email and web browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines