• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

We need to be able to throttle app update downloads.

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10:02am
As most people know, updating Adobe apps via Creative Cloud Desktop chews up almost all available bandwidth.
I work from home due to Covid. I live in regional Australia where our broadband network is not good, but adequate for every other use besides updating Adobe apps. However, updates for every single other program and app download at reasonably sane, shareable bandwidth speeds.
Adobe apps chew up all the bandwidth and make getting on with other online work while they are updating literally impossible.
Why doesn't the update process allow bandwith sharing??? Does Adobe think they're more important than anything else the user might be doing? Do they think we only update with there's nothing else to do? Surely Adbobe's programmers can work out this simple fix?
When I receive files created on a later update, I have no choice. I have to sit and twiddle my thumbs. Often for an hour or more at a time. It's utterly unproductive and frustrating. Others in the household cannot use the internet. Even when I was in the office on fast internet, work mates would complain about the slowdown of their connections. I'd have to stay after everyone else had gone home to run the updates.
Enough people have complained about this, that Adobe should give users the option to throttle the download bandwidth. Adobe may say, 'oh if it downloads quickly, you can get on with your work faster', but that's no help when the internet is at 25mbps on a good day to begin with - I wait ages for apps to update and can't do anything constructive in the meantime. It's a waste of time and results in lost productivity, something Adobe claims to care about.
I am currently updating Premiere Pro. It was at 14% when I was finally able to load this Adobe community page, and now it's at 18%. I won't be able to press 'post' until the update has finished, lest the page time out because of the greed of Adobe's bandwidth updating process.
In short, give us a choice. Some people have a deadline. Some people don't have 1mb connections. No other software vendor I've ever used has this issue.
Also, how big are these updates? Does it download and install the entire App from scratch?
Get with the program or we'll get another program.

10:29am - 39% downloaded. Unable to do any other internet related activity.

TOPICS
Cloud storage web assets , Collaboration , File sync , Libraries

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not a problem for me and I also work at home.  But feel free to submit a feature request where the product developers will actually see it.  They don't lurk in these user-to-user forums.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

For what it's worth, I only update when I need to.  I have turned off auto updates for everything except the CC Desktop App.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines