• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Adobe wants to use the local items keychain?

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I work on a Mac and received a message from the OS that says "Creative Cloud helper wants to use the local items keychain".

It turns out that the local items keychain contains many passwords, that can be synced with iCloud. In my understanding, granting access would allow Adobe to read a lot of passwords that have nothing to do with Adobe products.

So, my question is: why Adobe wants access to all my passwords?

TOPICS
Libraries

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Nevermind, it turns out that a Mac app can only access its own items in the keychain. I wish this information was more visible, or the prompt was more clear. For anyone who's interested, here's the reference from the Apple docs: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/1398306-secitemcopymatching

When you use Xcode to create an application, Xcode adds an application-identifier entitlement to the application bundle. Keychain Services uses this entitlement to grant the application access

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Hi 

Keychain is where macOS stores passwords.

@Stan19 No, Adobe cannot access the other passwords in your keychain. That's not how keychain works. All Adobe can do is ask to store your Adobe PW in keychain. If you deleted all the passwords from macOS keychain, you

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, it turns out that a Mac app can only access its own items in the keychain. I wish this information was more visible, or the prompt was more clear. For anyone who's interested, here's the reference from the Apple docs: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/1398306-secitemcopymatching

When you use Xcode to create an application, Xcode adds an application-identifier entitlement to the application bundle. Keychain Services uses this entitlement to grant the application access to its own keychain items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to happen if you quit the Creative Cloud app from the top menu bar tool icon.  Apparently not all the CC processes exit.  This helper process must normally request access from the Creative Cloud app, which caches access when you boot the system or restart that program.  I'd guess that when it fails to get the credential from the CC app, it defaults to prompting the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting all these Keychain pop ups. Was wondering if Adobe, itself wants access? Don't like that idea. Eitherway, I'm trying to stop all the keychain popups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you figure out how to disable keychain popups? I'm getting this popup window at work and I don't have or know the keychain password so I can't get it to go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a while but, I think deleting all the Adobe keychains helped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Keychain is where macOS stores passwords.

@Stan19 No, Adobe cannot access the other passwords in your keychain. That's not how keychain works. All Adobe can do is ask to store your Adobe PW in keychain. If you deleted all the passwords from macOS keychain, you will have to eventually put them all back in again, as they are no longer being remembered.

@Kelly28426700yhzt : the pw for keychain is the same as for login for your computer unless you change it on purpose. If your Mac keeps asking for your keychain password, see this help page from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/guide/keychain-access/mac-keychain-password-kyca1242/11.0/mac/13.0

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Whatever I did seems to have worked. It may have been what Apple recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines