• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I prevent Creative Cloud updates from deactivating synched fonts?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Situation: The Creative Cloud update procedure has been causing my synched fonts to be deactivated without any warning or notification. This can cause serious problems, because the layout changes for no apparent reason.

Version of Creative Cloud: not sure; the app only shows that an update is available ("Features in Version 4.0.1.188"), and the only options are Install Now or Quit.

ACC problem00.PNG

App area: unavailable; the gear icon only offers Help, Pin to notification area, and Quit.

I am using synched fonts in a Microsoft Word document; specifically, Adobe Garamond Pro, and Adobe Garamond Pro Bold. Yesterday, the font faces displayed correctly. The computer has not been shut down or restarted. This morning, the same document is not showing the faces correctly. Word reports the font as Adobe Garamond Pro Bold, but it is not bold. This screen capture shows Word reporting that the highlighted text is set as Adobe Garamond Pro Bold:

ACC problem01.PNG

The CoreSynch-2017-03-30.log file was saved yesterday at 15:44 while I was away from the computer. When I came back to it much later, the browser, the Word document, and other apps that had been open when I left were still running, so Windows had not been shut down or restarted. The final two lines of the log file are:

20170330-154434.474: t=022c: Info: [livetype] deactivated all fonts

20170330-154434.475: t=2324: Info: AppHookControllerImpl::onShutdown out

I do not know how to interpret these log files, but those lines suggested that the fonts had been deactivated, and that I would likely need to need to complete the update to re-activate them. When I clicked the "Update Now" option in Creative Cloud, it took ~10 minutes to download and complete reinstallation. The app now reports being at version 4.0.1.188, and in Assets, it lists my synched fonts. The activity stream reported that I updated Creative Cloud minutes ago, and also 2 days ago (I did that manually when I encountered the same issue). In both update activity lines, the "What's New?" link takes me to https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/release-note/cc-release-notes.html where the most recent release is shown as "Version 3.9.5.353 released on 12/14/2016".

After updating Creative Cloud, I returned to my still-open Word document to see that the fonts were now being displayed correctly. Here is a screen capture of the same part of the document with no change other than having updated the Creative Cloud app:

ACC problem04.PNG

There had been no notification to let me know that the fonts had been disabled; nor was there any notification to let me know that they were once again enabled after I allowed the update to install. This means that if I had happened to print or create a PDF for my book while Creative Cloud had disabled my synched fonts, the entire layout would be wrong because Word would have used a substitution.

1. If Creative Cloud will deactivate my synched fonts automatically when a new update simply becomes available, how can a user be notified that the fonts are no longer available to the applications using them (in my case, to Word)?

2. Is there a setting in Creative Cloud to prevent font deactivation until it is convenient for me to manually install a Creative Cloud update so as to not disable the fonts for an application I have open?

3. There is no indication in the Creative Cloud "Update Available" notification about the download size for the update. The "Full Release Notes" link just connects to https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/release-note/cc-release-notes.html (with the most recent release shown as "Version 3.9.5.353 released on 12/14/2016"), and gives no information at all about the update that is available.

4. If I check the "Always keep Creative Cloud desktop up to date" option, will this prevent synched fonts from being disabled while documents are open? (And, if so, how much bandwidth will such automatic updates consume?)

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Creative Cloud forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines