• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot transfer library book on my KOBO

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.11.  I have downloaded books from our local library to my laptop. The computer is authorized as is my KOBO Aura One reader. I can read the borrowed books on my computer. When I look at 'My Books' on my Kobo, I see the books but the cover is black and when I try to open the book it states I am not authorized, DRM etc. I have gone back to the start a few times, deleted the books in question and cancelled the authorization on my laptop and reader, restarted  from the initial download from the library and still no luck. I even re-initialized the kobo and re-installed ADE.

I don't know what else I can do. I have a MAC running under Catalina.

HELP please!!!!!

TOPICS
ADE authorization , DRM , Kobo editions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you get a reply, as my wife and I are going through the same problem with our Kobo Mini, and Kobo Aura.  I have done every fix mentioned, and even updated the firmware on the old Kobo Mini.  It all reads fine on ADE 4.5.11, but any library book downloaded is a black cover and cannot be opened, with the error message about the Kobo not being authorized, even when it says it is authorized on ADE under device information.  So this is two different adobe accounts on two different computers, with two different Kobo readers... in the middle of a global pandemic.  And barring any help we might receive, anyone know of another way to read an epub book?  Android based tablet or phone?  Wish I'd bought a Sony e-reader when they were still out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was so surprised to have a "respond"..... I still have that problem. 
I am sure that it is Kobo that should give that support, but I still have to find the  website where I can explain the  problem. I am really p***d off because I love to borrow digital books. 😤😤😤

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am having problems with this. I have Aura H20 First edition. On my Mac I have ADE download and have authorized my computer, but then the next stage asks me for Login which the selection for ID and password has been auto ticked, but it’s giving error key. I have looked in my saved passwords and stopped all saved info for this yet still it continues.  I have  Libby downloaded  on my iPad which I can acces books through but mine is larger iPad and gets too heavy.

i have asked the question several times through chat but nobody appears to want to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your reply and sympathize.  What my wife and I are moving toward now is what I guess most people have already done - installing an epub reader app on our Android phones.  If you have an iPhone or Android based phone, have you considered installing Libby on it.  Much lighter than your iPad!

If enough people have this problem, I imagine Kobo will disappear through their own lack of interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with my kobo. Sometimes I could work it out, but now I try and try and I get nearly crazy. So if anybody has an idea how to fix it it would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact same problem. Were you able to resolve it? I'd really love to read my library book!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem opening Adobe DRM from the public library.  My Kobo Touch is almost 8 years old but loads Kobo's books without problems.  I downloaded a library book directly to Libby on my Android phone.  Later I downloaded the same book to my Kobo via ADE 4.5.11 (Windows 10) but could not open the copy on the Kobo.  The Kobo kept on saying I was unauthorized to open the book yet ADE said I was authorized.  I did everything Adobe & Kobo say and tried hints under the heading "Issue With Kobe Touch and Adobe" from 2017.  I reauthorized the Kobo e-reader and computer multiple times, uninstalled ADE 4.5.11, reinstalled and tried ADE 3.0, reinstalled ADE 4.5.11, did a complete factory reset of Kobo, deleted all copies on computer and Kobo, redownloaded and nothing worked. I was able to download the same book to an old Blackberry Playbook and open it without problems.  Somewhere here I found the suggestion that older Kobos need to be the first device you download to from your computer.  I have searched here but unfortuantely cannot find the exact reference again to credit.  Today without fiddling further with my Kobo I tried a downloading a different book from the public library onto my Kobo via ADE 4.5.11 and it opens on the Kobo without problems. Unfortunately I no longer have the first book on loan so I can't test whether it will open now to tell you.  For the future I will download to my Kobo before I download to my phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thank you for this! My loan also lapsed but I was able to get another book by not opening it on my phone first. What a strange glitch - but I'm so happy to be able to sign out books agian. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I constatntly have this problem. About 50% of books from library transfer ADE to Kobo AuraH2O first try, others never do. Obviously reader is authorized as otherwise purchased books wouldn't transfer. 
Any one who gets an intelligent answer out of Adobe I'd love to hear about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to download a library book on my Kobe yesterday. I wanted to try the trick of maple5000, i.e. download the book directly on my Kobo, from my computer without  fiddling with it. 
Well, I couldn't, not open the  book when I Imported it in ADE. It opens automatically. But I haven't done  anything with it and got back to my library. I then  downloaded it on the Kobo. Surprise!!! Everything was fine , I could  open the  book on the  Kobo.... Chance?  Bug resolved? I don't know, I'll see the  next time I borrow a book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sylvie1244. I am having the exact same problem, with my Kobo. I have tried de authorizing my computer and the Kobo and deleting and reopening the book I downloaded. My computer and Kobo both appear to be signed in to my adobe ID. The book opens fine on my computer, but I get the same message (because you recently deauthorized your kobo.. you need to re upload this book with ADE..) It's so frustrating! I hope we get a fix soon. I saw the fix below for older Kobos, but mine is brand new. I have had no problems reading pdf's on the kobo, just that ADE doesn't want to work. Hmm! I sympathise with you and everyone here. Let's hope we get a fix soon! In the meantime I'll be reading the book on my computer ADE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact same problem since the beginning of summer. I finally gave up after trying repeatedly for months...each time we went camping. I'm commenting because I'd like to follow this threat and see if we ever get a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...I just tried again after this post and did as Maple5000 said and didn't open the book at all before opening it on my Kobo. And hallelujah it worked. I usually download the book from the library, load it on Adobe Digital bookshelf, then move to my kobo and then open the book in Adobe to ensure it was there. This time I just loaded it and didn't look at it at all and it was there! I have no idea if this is just chance and Kobo fixed this problem since the last time I checked. But I'm so thankful I can read my books again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I would love to know if there is any new news on this.  I cannot even get ADE to recognize my Kobo Arc.  Tried all versions and did the unauthorization/authorization method as well.  It was only recently that my Kobo started acting weird and a library app that I had been using for the last couple of years stopped working and is no longer compatible with my ereader.  Hence my attempts at using the ADE method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a Kobo Arc, It has worked well for years, and I have read a lot of library books on it. Have never had trouble downloading books via wifi after borrowing on my computer. Kobo has now stopped supporting the Arc and will no longer update the software. And Overdrive will no longer accept the Arc as  device that it will connect with. So I have tried countless ways to be able to transfer the books from my computer and have found nothing works. ADE will not recognize my Arc, nor will Kobo Desktop. Calibre will recognize it but I can't seem to transfer books to the Arc from there either. My latest attempt was to download Dropbox cloud on my Mac, but it will not load on the Arc so I can't transfer that way either. This has been so frustrating that I am seriously thinking of not getting another Kobo - but what else can we use for library books??? I thought I had posted this already but it seemed to have disappeared the first time. I hope this works this time - or I apologize for repeating myself if the first post reappears!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you defaultohnx1atcbn39.  I was hoping that wasn't the case but everything I was reading seemed to piont in that direction too.  I sent out one last inquiry to my library to see if they are able to contact the company of the app it uses and ask for alternative to ADE.  If there is an answer to this I will post it.  Otherwise I will be purchasing a new tablet.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Have almost given up, but last night I finally realized that my attempts to download the dropbox app to the Kobo was being thwarted because the Kobo isn't liking the Google Play app, where all the app downloads take place. It would crap out and give me an "Aw Snap" page. Very frustrating. So now I have to figure out why that is happening and if I can get it to work, and then download the dropbox cloud app, then maybe, just maybe I can move the books from my Macpro downloads out of Overdrive, up to dropbox, and then back down to the Kobo and read with BlueFire.    

sigh, can't believe how much time I am wasting on this. But reading the reviews of the new Kobos and the trouble people are having with getting books from Overdrive, I am not sure I am going in that direction either. It is so silly that it has to be so hard. The libraries perhaps need to find a different company other than Rakuten/Kobo to be running their ebook lending.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The libraries perhaps need to find a different company other than Rakuten/Kobo to be running their ebook lending."

I haven't replied to many of these discussions, and I am very happy to hear that some people have actually got their Kobo to work for library ebooks, but I just wanted to chime in again with my experience that if you own a decent smartphone or an android tablet (not sure about the Apple apps), all you have to do is download Libby from the Google app store, link your library card to the app, and you're ready to read all your available library e-books!  Very easy to navigate, and I actually don't mind reading my books on my phone as much as I thought I would.  If you're tired of fighting with Adobe Digital Editions and your Kobo, I can't recommend the Libby app enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue.  I give up...TIRED...reading should be relaxing...TThis issue make me CRAZY!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks default91yjzai4axm9

Have kept trying with my kobo arc. But read your post about using your phone so thought I would give it a try. I have an iPhone6 plus, so a bit bigger but thought it would be way too small to read on. Downloaded the Overdrive app, signed in as I have done for years with the Kobo, easy - well mostly except it made me sign in numerous times before it finally liked me enough..... Just like it would do with the Kobo sometimes. 

anyway it downloaded two books that I had saved in my loans on my computer and I think it is going to be doable. And save me having to buy another ereader. At least it will give me some time to make a decision on the next reader. Or whether I will keep banging my head against the wall trying to make the Kobo work again.....thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem - and am searching for a solution

is adobe having some kind of war with kobo - on one screen it asked if I wanted to buy some kind of upgrade -is that the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem, but nobody seems to be able to provide the answer.  Just for the record I have a almost new Kobo Clara HD and borrow books from Gloucestershire library in the UK.  They don't use Overdrive or Libby so I have to  download the books from their website to my Mac and then transfer them to my Kobo - and therein lies the snag.

When I download the book to my Mac ADE opens it automatically and thereby locks it to my Mac.  The only way round this is authorising and de-authorising and all that!  However IF I could set ADE on my Mac so that it doesn't automaticaly open the downloaded book file I'm sure I would be able to  transfer it to the Kobo before opening.  DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DO THIS? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thought exactly: stop opening the books automatically in ADE after  the download in the  library. At least, it is worth a try. But I couldn't find how to do it. It is very frustrating, CAN WE HAVE SOME SUPPORT FROM ADOBE???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support from Adobe  -  Don't make me laugh!  More likely that the Chinese will give Hong Kong their freedom!

However this has just worked for me:

1. Download the book to the Mac

2. Right click on it and choose "show in finder"

3. Connect the Kobo

drag and drop the file in finder from Mac to Kobo.

Probably won't work next time though!

david

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines