Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with Kobo Touch and Adobe

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a kobo Touch.

Software is up to date as of today. Adobe is up to date as of today.

I have books on it purchased from Kobo and they work just fine.

My issue is when I use Overdrive to download books and then load Adobe Digital Editions and transfer them to my Kobo, the books will show in the library but not open. I get an error message.

"Oops! This document count be opened......Digital Rights Management issue"

My kobo is registered with "account1".

My Adobe account is "account1". My computer is authorized with Adobe. My Kobo device has also been authorized using the same account "account1". Once I authorize it I get a message saying I can now share DRM books between the two devices.

However, once I open the book on the Kobo I am still getting the error message!!!

I have done 2 full factory resets to my kobo, powered on and off multiple times.

This is very frustrating. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 134 Replies 134
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news thanks for letting us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have replied to me after I reported the bug saying they have exhausted all their troubleshooting ideas and to contact Adobe! Sounds like they don't know what they're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I have solved my problem! My problem was on a Kobo Glo but with the same E10 error message as all of you. When I checked the space available on my device through the Kobo Desktop or the ADE (not sure which now) it indicated the I had no space left on the Kobo Glo. I then deleted some books on the device through the Kobo Desktop/ADE and the problem disappeared, copying completed. After all was well and the device disconnected I checked on the space available and there was lots. So the problem is with the Desktop thinking that the device has no more room and thus blocking the copying. There is a problem but I was able to get around it quite easily.

Good wishes to all of you

PPV001

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ppv001 ... I deleted all my books, and did a factory reset...but it didn't help.    Hoping Kobo gets it resoleved in their next software update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got an email back from them.  They said my Kobo's were not latest version and to update them again (even tho I had done that).

Anyhow, I did....low and behold, the versions I updated today were even newer than the one they told me to use.

Anyhow, they told me to do another update, deauthorize then reauthorize, delete the book and than reload.

I did everything they told me, in the same order they told me.  I even tried a new book I haven't borrowed before.

Same darned result.  I just sent this info back to them again...Sigh.

Sorry....if I find something that works, I will let you know asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no what a shame. Do you happen to know the version number of the software, you can find it under Device info? I know version 4.3.8945  doesn't fix it as I tried upgrading to that.

Do you think they understand the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They said to do update 4.3.8945. ...

but when it finished running it actually installed another 4.3.8966 on one and 4.3.8967 on my other.

They r forwarding now back to their IT dept and will let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worrying if they think it was fixed on 2 different versions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now they are asking for examples of specific books ISBN's.

Maybe someone is actually looking into this in detail.

I have lots of examples to provide them.

Will update you....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes maybe someone is looking into it. Tell them their version 3.19.5761 December 2015 worked just fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a message very early this morning from Kobo saying that the status of my original question to Kobo was "solved". However, I am still unable to open library books on the Kobo unless I revert to the factory settings. I used the "chat" service again and ended up at the first tier of support (again) despite my original complaint having been escalated. The chat support asked me to go through all of the steps again (factory re-set, install current software, erase and re-authorize ADE, etc.) but nothing made any difference. The only thing that was a little different is that Kobo Desktop has been updated. I installed that update and used Kobo Desktop to update the Kobo. I hoped that would change something, but it did not. Once again the complaint has been escalated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had any joy yet with Kobo resolving this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They sent me a request last week for ISBN numbers for books I had problems with. I haven't answered yet because I didn't keep track of the books I tried to load and I am fed up with doing factory resets and updates (after which I have to do a factory reset again to use it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I would bother if I were you as I don't think it's got anything to do with one book versus another one. I've just got back from holiday and my Kobo was fine with the downloaded library books with my fix of going back to old software from December 2015 as I explained earlier - it might be worth telling them that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heard nothing since Mar22 when they asked me for ISBN #'s...which I sent to them.

Just sent them a follow up email requesting an update.

Not looking hopeful.  ;(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also sent them an ISBN for one of the books I couldn't open, and informed them that the same thing has happened with EVERY library book I tried to put on the Kobo since the operating system was updated. I expressed my view that it is a problem with the update to the Kobo operating system, not with individual books. Their response was as follows:

"We apologize sincerely for all inconvenience caused. We are aware of the issue with Public Library books and we are working to get it resolved as soon as possible. We requested the information in order to better identify the problem and which books are mostly affected. As soon as there is a fix we will let you know. In the mean time, you can continue to read you Library books from the Adobe app on your computer."

I would rather use the original factory settings than read books on my computer. I don't think they understand their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think you might be making some progress as they have admitted there is a problem and they are trying to fix it, but might be barking up the wrong tree investigating the books, all the ones I tried about 10 did not open. I have asked customer care for the email address of Trevor Hunter CTO, not sure if they will supply it, as I want to escalate it to him. I live in the UK if anyone who lives in Canada could ring their office it might be an idea to get his email address or speak to him, their number in Toronto is +1 416-977-8737

If you want to go back to software from 2015, rather than factory reset, so you would have been running with this for most of 2016, this is how to do it:

This is all from memory as I can't redo it on my Kobo. This procedure is written for people with reasonable PC skills but not an IT boffin. It means you will not be able to access any purchased books on your Kobo in future as with WIFI being turned off the books are not accessible but this fix works for the library books.

Make sure that the Kobo Desktop is NOT running and you have WIFI disabled on your Kobo.

Click or open this link, by right clicking and open in new tab or new window:

Firmware 3.19.5761 - MobileRead Forums

This page should appear:

Under the first heading:

Mark 3 Hardware: Original Touch(N905/N905B Model)

select the link below it:

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwares/kobo3/january2016/kobo-update-3.19.5761.zip

This will open a zip file, on my PC in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, click on this to unzip or open it.

Connect your Kobo to the computer and select Connect on the device (if asked), making sure WIFI is still turned off to stop automatic updates.

Open File Explorer.

Locate where the zip file has been extracted to (kobo-update-3.19.5761). On my PC it was in "Downloads".

Do not copy the original unopened zip file (kobo-update-3.19.5761) itself to the device, instead:

Open the zip file.

The zip file contains the following 3 items:

Upgrade folder

manifest.md5sum

KoboRoot.tgz             

Select all 3 items together and copy the entire contents of the zip file to the .kobo directory on the Kobo.

Safely remove the device from Windows (or your operating system of choice).

Disconnect the device from your computer.

The device will now install the new software on your Kobo.

Do not switch WIFI back on as otherwise your Kobo will try to update its software back to the current version which we know does not work.

This worked for me for library books using either version of Adobe 3.0 or Adobe 4.5 which makes me think it is a problem with the new Kobo software version and not Adobe.

Let me know if it works for anyone.

Hope this helps, if you need any more help or get stuck just ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed your advice and it works. I can read borrowed librarybooks on my Touch again. Kobo helpdesk still convinced the problem doesn't their latest software-update (4.3.8945). Keep the wifi "off"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan Glad it has worked for you, I suggest you stay on the old version for a while until we are sure they have fixed it. They told me yesterday they are aware of it and are resolving it but don't hold your breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having the same issue. Talked with Kobo support this morning and they act like I am the only one with the issue. Followed all their suggestions and no success, now when I try and phone the customer support number I receive an error message saying their inbox is full? WTH?

I am going to try and revert to old software on the Kobo touch. Wish me luck/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi What terrible customer service, one hand doesn't know what the other one is doing! I never got a reply asking for the email address of their CTO.

Well if you get stuck post on here and I will try and help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@syrah1

thanks so much for your helpful post, even I was able to follow the instructions. I was thrilled to see it worked successfully, I didn't even have to reload the books to the Kobo or do anymore deauthorizing/reauthorizing. When the update finished on the Kobo I can now open all the library books that I couldn't previously.

I can't believe Kobo has not addressed this problem after all this time. For the past couple months I purchased Kobo books instead of reading library books, thinking it would give Kobo plenty of time to fix their software. Now I will continue to use the old version and only read library books. I won't be giving any more of my money to Kobo, their service is pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shirley glad the procedure worked for you just remember don't put the Wi-Fi back on or use the Kobo desktop app. The older version of software is fine for a long time I think as they only made small tweaks on the last updates. Unfortunately you won't be able to read any more purchased books so hope there are plenty of available library books, I struggle sometimes that's all and have to wait on holds for ages!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

Kobo helpdesk yesterday finally admitted to me there is something wrong with their latest update and  promised to release within two weeks e new update wchich solves the problems. In Dutch a copy fom their answer:

Hartelijk dank voor uw contactverzoek bij de Rakuten Kobo klantendienst. We helpen u graag verder.
Het is inderdaad een bekende software probleem. Onze software developers werken er hard aan om het probleem op te lossen. Wij verwachten binnen nu en 2 weken een release van de nieuwe software dat dit probleem oplost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally acknowledgement and a timescale for fixing it! Thanks for the information and keeping the pressure on Kobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines