Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with Kobo Touch and Adobe

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a kobo Touch.

Software is up to date as of today. Adobe is up to date as of today.

I have books on it purchased from Kobo and they work just fine.

My issue is when I use Overdrive to download books and then load Adobe Digital Editions and transfer them to my Kobo, the books will show in the library but not open. I get an error message.

"Oops! This document count be opened......Digital Rights Management issue"

My kobo is registered with "account1".

My Adobe account is "account1". My computer is authorized with Adobe. My Kobo device has also been authorized using the same account "account1". Once I authorize it I get a message saying I can now share DRM books between the two devices.

However, once I open the book on the Kobo I am still getting the error message!!!

I have done 2 full factory resets to my kobo, powered on and off multiple times.

This is very frustrating. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 134 Replies 134
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I struck out doing this on a Mac, as the .kobo folder is hidden. However, I used an old PC and was able to follow your very clear instructions. All was fine until the end. The Kobo setup screens are in an unending loop. The Welcome screen presents me with a choice of Wifi or no Wifi. Of course I don't want Wifi. When I choose no Wifi, it asks me to connect to my computer and use Kobo desktop. But I don't want that either. The Home button won't do anything. I tried restarting, and it went right back to the setup screen. The only place I can go from there is one step back to the language selection, but it won't let me go anywhere from there except ahead to the setup screen. No option to skip setup is presented.

Any suggestions?

I finally resorted to doing this (after months of running on original factory settings) because I got a message from Kobo yesterday saying that because they hadn't heard from me in 240 hours they were treating my complaint as Solved. Grrrrr!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Catherine, sorry to hear it's not worked properly. I don't know why that would be. I can only suggest that you redo it in case a step was not done properly. You can use your Mac if in File Explorer using the View tab at the top you tick Show Hidden Items (that's how it is done on my PC).

Maybe someone who has followed this procedure recently, Jan or Shirley, can advise if they encountered this issue as I can't remember but don't think it demonstrated what your Kobo is doing. Did you turn WIFI off before you began the procedure?

The only hope is that Kobo have advised Jan they are working on an update for release in 2 weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not acquainted with Macs, I installed firmware 3.19.5761 with a Windows-desktop according to the helpfull instructions of syrah1 and succeeded with the first attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up syncing with Kobo Desktop so that I could get past the setup screen on the Kobo, then took the Kobo back to original factory settings again. I will hope that they will fix the problem. In the meantime, I can still read library books. Not ideal, but works as a temporary fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Syrah

This worked well am now able to read books from my library, had to improvise a bit with the instructions but all good, hope they fix the upgrade so we can use it with the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update at all? I tried installing the newest firmware that was released this month, but get the same problem again so had to go back to an old one again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I followed the instructions from Syrah and reverted back to the earlier version and it will now work with library books, I recommend you try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,. I have the same problem on my tolino vision. New firmware update and now I can't borrow from public library! Guess who just bought Tolino?  Rakuten Kobo!!! I guess I have to try go get back to old firmware version. Anyone who know how long it will take for them to fix a new version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what Kobo told me on 17th May:

"You contacted us today because you are having issues with sideloading library ebooks onto your Kobo eReader.

Please accept our apologies as the Adobe Digital Editions sideloading is currently a general problem which is affecting many Kobo customers. Please be advised that our development team is working on rectifying the issue as soon as possible.

Our development team has generated potential resolution steps in order to rectify the Adobe Digital Editions sideloading issue. We kindly ask you to perform the following steps and inform us whether or not these steps have resolved the issue."

The steps were all deauthorizing and re-authorizing again, a factory reset and a resync with Kobo desktop. I haven't done this as there is no software fix yet and as my Kobo is working fine using the old software version I'm leaving it until they confirm a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour

merci infiniment. Ca a marché pour moi.

J'ai fait la même chose sur mon mac. Je n'avais pas le dossier .kobo dans le finder mais j'ai copié les 3 fichiers à la suite de digital editions. Avec ADE 4.5 j'ai connecté ma liseuse, supprimé les livres que j'y avais installés (emprunté dans une bibliothèque) puis retransféré de nouveau les livres en glisser/déposer et ça marche!!!!!

Par contre je ne vois pas les couvertures (page noire) mais je peux enfin lire!!

Merci encore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same question as before: e-books from library will not open on Kobo Touch, since last update from Kobo (4.3.8945). Device is 5 years old.Ik askes Kobo help en followed their instructions: hard reset. I followed instructions library helpdesk: uninstall ADE, remove auhorisations; install ADE 3.0, authorise again. But it won't wordk. Kobo says: it is a problem of Adobe; library says, it is a problem of Kobo and so they leave it to me. Books I buy won't give a problem, also free loans don't give a problem, but the DRM-marked books give the problem. Still waiting with most of you for a solution, Jan Wilts, Netherlands

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread while trying to work out why library books error on my son's Kobo Touch.  I have since downloaded the same books via ADE to my Kobo Glo and they work fine.  The version my Glo is running is 4.3.8966 updated on 14/3/17 so reasonably current.

Same books, same library using overdrive, same installation of ADE, only difference is the type of Kobo used, which backs up other peoples theories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like many of us are having the same experience. Although it appears that at least once KOBO has admitted to the problem and said that they are working on a solution, it's too bad they keep telling other people to (waste their time by) go back to Adobe for a resolution.

I was a very early adopter to KOBO. I have tried to reach out to them on several occasions and am always surprised by their complete lack of customer service or concern. It's unlikely that I'd buy another KOBO if one of mine need replacement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Response I've just received from the kobo team: -

"Thank you for contacting Rakuten Kobo customer service. It was a pleasure to help you today.

You contacted us today because you have an issue with your e-reader regarding to borrow book from the public library. We are really sorry for this inconvenience. Since this month the Adobe Digital Edition experiment some glitch, we are already advised about this issue and our technical team work to resolve this issue as soon as possible"

In the meantime my son is reading his library e-books on an android tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an unhappy update: I just downloaded through ADE a library book I've been waiting for (John Sandford Golden Prey) and it won't open on either of our devices! ADE will read it from it's library or - very interesting - it can open and read it from either of the KOBO's libraries (on the devices). It looks like the last KOBO Aura update (Mar 17) knocked out my ability to read library books too.

I'm really pissed now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you live? I have asked customer care for the email address of Trevor Hunter CTO, not sure if they will supply it, as I want to escalate it to him. I live in the UK if anyone who lives in Canada could ring their office it might be an idea to get his email address or speak to him, their number in Toronto is +1 416-977-8737

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just spend a lot of time with the Kobo people on the phone trying to resolve this. From looking at the message boards it seems that several different people have had luck with several different things. This is what finally worked for me:

- factory reset of the Kobo Touch

- uninstall Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 and 4.5 which I had previously used

- install Adobe Digital Editions 3.0

- set up Kobo Touch after factory reset

- Authorize computer and device in Digital Editions 3.0

The first book I borrowed from the library transferred to digital editions without the "Error. Check Authorization" message I had previously got from Digital Editions but after transferring it to my Kobo I was still getting the error message about not proper authorization when I tried to open it on my Kobo. The Tech guy had me try downloading a second library book. It transferred to digital editions and then I transferred to my device. When I tried opening that one it worked. I tried opening the other one that had given me an error message a few minutes before and it worked. Hoping this is finally solved.

The Kobo tech told me to NEVER update the ereader unless I was having problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded Kobo's latest update for Touch (4.4.9344 (6f700792a0; 16-05-17) available since a few days in the Netherlands, borrowed an e-book from the public library and guess what: Kobo solved their software-problems, everything works fine again!

Locked the wifi again, you never know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, I updated to the same version of firmware but still get the Oops DRM not authorised message.  What version of Digital Editions are you using 3.0 or 4.5?  Did you have to reauthorize & reauthorize everything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE 3.01; didn't reauthorize; after installing new update Kobo it just worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jan, still not working for me.  I got 1 book through Overdrive at my library and the next 2 failed. Tried ADE 3.0 and 4.5, de-authorized and reauthorized etc., etc.  ... I don't think they have a final resolution yet.  I even tried using different Adobe ID's and resets of everything.  Just an FYI for all those hoping we had reached the end of this fiasco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Has anyone had any success now with a new software version to overcome this problem? If so what version number? Kobo keep emailing me telling my just to try it and let me know how I get on, but I am reluctant to be their guinea pig without firm assurances. I am still running December 2015 version but my Kobo locks up occasionally so I would like to be on the newest version if possible but only if this bug with library books is definitely fixed. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I've done the update and can now open my library books. I was just about to do what you suggested in prior posts but thought I would give the new update a try. So far, so good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated today to the newest firmware for Kobo Touch (4.4.9344 (6f700792a0; 16-05-17)). I am using ver. 3.0 of ADE. The first library book I tried putting on (without re-authorizing) caused the dreaded black book cover and a DRM error message (different from the earlier OOPS message) to appear on the Kobo. I removed that book, erased the Adobe authorizations for my Kobo and my computer, reauthorized my computer and the Kobo, and then tried another library book. That book worked, as did another book.

Kobo had assured me that they would notify me when the library book problem was fixed, but I have not heard anything from them yet. So I'm not sure if this fix is still problematic for some, or if Kobo isn't organized enough to push out a notification to the people who contacted customer service.

I am noticing that the page turns seem to be much slower than they were before. Maybe I am imagining it?

Thanks very much to everyone on this list who shared their experience. Your comments were very helpful. It was good to know I was not alone on this frustrating journey!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kobo didn't notify me either; I shared my problem with The Royal Library of the Netherlands which runs the common helpdesk for e-book-reading of all the public libraries in the Netherlands. They were very keen on this problem and they notified me about the new update ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines