Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with Kobo Touch and Adobe

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a kobo Touch.

Software is up to date as of today. Adobe is up to date as of today.

I have books on it purchased from Kobo and they work just fine.

My issue is when I use Overdrive to download books and then load Adobe Digital Editions and transfer them to my Kobo, the books will show in the library but not open. I get an error message.

"Oops! This document count be opened......Digital Rights Management issue"

My kobo is registered with "account1".

My Adobe account is "account1". My computer is authorized with Adobe. My Kobo device has also been authorized using the same account "account1". Once I authorize it I get a message saying I can now share DRM books between the two devices.

However, once I open the book on the Kobo I am still getting the error message!!!

I have done 2 full factory resets to my kobo, powered on and off multiple times.

This is very frustrating. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 134 Replies 134
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it interesting as well that all of us having problems is with the kobo touch and that they were all working fine until the latest update.  My kobo is 5 yrs old as well and I have been borrowing at least 2 books a week from my local library and have never had a problem until this last update.  In fact I was in the middle of reading a borrowed library book when I did a sync/update.  So I feel quite certain that the problem is with Kobo upgrading my e-reader. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife has a Sony E reader and works OK with ADE 3.0 and 4.... and I can not download to Kobo touch, in ADE as soon as I plug the KOBO I can see it in ADE, but it is not working the gear to "authorized it" I can see the books in Kobo Touch but are not "authorized" to open them. I contacted KOBO and after taken out ADE 3 e installing ADE 4 at the end they told to contact ADOBE???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having same problem. After update from Kobe I can't get my library books on my Kobo Aura. Computer, kobo are both authorized, but when I try to open library book I get this message:

"Your reader is not authorized to open this book.

This book is protected bu Adobe Digital Rights Management(DMR). Because you previously deauthorized  your e-reader, you need to re-import the book using Adobe Digital Editions(ADE). Please visit kobo.com/help for more information."

I have authorized my reader several times( ADE and my reader both say its authorized), but KEEP getting this message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi!

Now in 2020, i'm experiencing the EXACT same problem as you were. Everything was fine until 2 days ago... Very pissed about it, There are no solutions so far on the internet 🤷‍:female_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for help on this issue....I'm not exactly sure how I got this to clear today.  I unauthorized & re-authorized the software & my reader(s) etc & even tried to return the e-book to the library as thes916281 suggested....couldn't do that either......I did download a new e-book from the library as suggested - & it loaded to the reader & can be opened to read.....just on the off chance of some dumb luck, I copied the original ebook that was giving me issues to the reader (after the new download loaded & opened) and to my surprise it copied on to the reader with no problem.  I'm surprised that things have worked out today when I've been struggling to get them to work for about a week now.  Back to the joy of Reading!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with my kobo touch.  It started after I did a sync which automatically did an update as well as an upgrade to my kobo.  When I was finished I could no longer open my partially read library book.  So I tried borrowing other library books and it wouldn't let me open them either.  I keep getting the "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"  I have done two factory re-sets on my Kobo as well as un-installing and re-installing ADE. three times.  I've also talked with a kobo rep twice and they walked me through a bunch of stuff to no avail.  I've also talked to my local library and they can't figure it out.  Finally I sent a message to ADE but haven't heard back yet.  If you figure it out please let me know.  I am feeling really discouraged and frustrated!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went out and bought a Kobo Aura One.

Took 30 seconds to set up with kobo via wifi.

1 min set up with Overdrive Library.

15 seconds to download a book directly to the kobo.

No adobe needed.

Its awesome. And the backlght is so nice.

Buying a a new one ended up being my fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry don't believe a word. I bought Aura also and have the same problem viewing books on the reader. I've tried all the remedies without success. Not to mention that is keeps re-booting on its own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am thinking if I have to buy a new e-reader it won't be a kobo which is a shame because I have been really happy with mine until the last update.  I guess will depend on the resolution to this problem.  Apparently Kobo help says they are working on the solution and I still haven't heard back from ADE yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....5 days later....is Kobo any closer to resolving the issue....after various attempts at authorizing/de-authorizing & installing/uninstalling ADE 3.0 & 4.5 and installing/uninstalling Kobo desktop...still no success with library protected DRM ebooks...one of my colleges attempted a clean start...took my Kobo touch ereader and installed Kobo destop and ADE 4.5 with new accounts...still unable to read library DRM protected ebooks on the kobo touch....I continue to try various scenarios....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please keep us posted! If there is an issue with the update, I wish they'd just admit it. I found my first encounter with customer service to be extremely negative and am reluctant to call again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From all that I've been able to gather the problem lies with Kobo software.

How long it takes to resolve is anyone's guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found any other useful tips for this issue?

I have a Kobo Touch and am experiencing the same problems. I've done absolutely everything and I still can't read library books. I call Kobo and it was no help.

I agree is frustrating and am now thinking of buying a new ereader. I do not want another Kobo but the e reader market is so small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep trying, but have not been able to get it to open borrowed books.Spent a long time with Kobo live help, but he could not help.This  is a new Kobo update and I think that the problem stems from it.We need to contact Kobe and ask them to repair this  update glitch.

Please everyone, push Kobe to get on this right away.

Blake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After several days I still can't get library books to open on my kobo.  Adobe Digitals still hasn't got back to me after 5 days and kobo was supposed to contact me when they found a solution but I still haven't heard from them.  I agree that it is a Kobo issue as didn't have any problems until the last update.  I am really disappointed in kobo support! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add my voice to those who are having this problem. I've worked on this for at least 3 hours tonight and tried many combinations of uninstalling / reinstalling and unauthorizing / reauthorizing ade and Kobo desktop. Also tried factory reset. I agree that it seems to be related to the recent Kobo upgrade. Hoping there is a resolution soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked on this for a few more hours today. I chatted with Kobo help and these are the instructions they provided (this did not work):

"Please tap on 3 lines from home screen of Kobo Touch, then tap on " settings" then tap on "device information " then tap on "repair Kobo account". Once done then delete the public library book from Kobo Touch, then unauthorize / reauthorize computer and eReader with ADobe ID on ADE, then try with new/ different book from Public library."

They said this was all the troubleshooting they could do. I asked if others were reporting this problem after the upgrade, and they said they have received no complaints...

They did provide me with a free book to download from the Kobo library and open with ADE and this did work. So I'm not sure where that leaves me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting….I asked Kobo the same thing and they replied the same - no other complaints!  Find that hard to believe!

(I didn't get a free book though!)

I wonder if the free book worked because there isn't a time limit on it, like the books from the library. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - you're probably right about the time limit. The Kobo book probably isn't protected the same way library books are. My live chat was over at this point, but I've followed up with them to let them know the free book worked and I asked what that tells us. PS - The free book was Alice in Wonderland, which is in the public domain, so it wasn't really "free."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting ridiculous. There has obviously been a lot of complaints and Kobo is doing nothing about it.

I received an email that this issue was being escalated to a higher level of customer service but haven't heard back. I've emailed Kobo the link to this forum to show that this issue is widespread but still no response.

I may just go back to to old-fashioned paper books. I'm extremely reluctant to buy another Kobo. I'm in Canada and the Kindle ereaders apparently don't work with overdrive and we are not able to purchase books using the Nook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is time Kobo owned up to this problem. Having said that, this

really isn't the place to vent about it. We need to do this on a Kobo

forum. I think we've established that this is not an ADE problem.

The simplest and quickest relief would come from Kobo putting out the

previous software while trying to understand what is wrong with the new

update.

I've returned my Kobo for a full refund as it does not do what it is

adertised to do. Back to reading on my tablet. Hopefully Kobo will stop

lying and get with the program.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that this should be discussed on a Kobo forum. Where are the official ones? I cannot find anything on the Kobo website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent email to kobo saying they should admit the fault is theirs  and regarding their so called upgrade "if it ain't broke to leave things alone.  I was in the middle of reading a book called " The Plantagenets"  this is a library ebook so of course there is a time limit on the loan I know the book is easily obtained in print form but I am afraid my eyesight is pretty bad so i rely on the ability to enable larger font sizes  .Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download library books on a Kindle"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a very similar problem ongoing for quite some time. Windows 10, ADE 4.5, Kobo Aura HD and Kobo Aura.

I can download a library book into ADE through Overdrive. I can open and read it on ADE. I can transfer it to my Kobo Aura and read it just fine. If i transfer it to my wife's Kobo Aura HD I get the dreaded "Ooops...." message.

I have tried everything suggested (authorizing, reauthorizing, etc) with no luck. It appears to me that it's an issue with the Kobo Aura HD and not the ADE software. I'm going to start pursuing that angle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem with Kobo Aura H2o

Adobe team !!!!!!!!! fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines