• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Oops! This document couldn't be opened.

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very frustrated with Adobe Digital Editions at this time.  When trying to read a book from my library on my ereader (Kobo Glo) I continue to get the message "Oops! This document couldn't be opened.  This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID.  Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again."

I have followed all of the instructions and I have even reinstalled the app onto my computer.  When I check the authorization it is attached to my library card.  Can someone please help me.  I have several books checked out at this time and cannot read them on my ereader.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave it one last try.

Closed everything down.

Borrowed a new book from local library (Overdrive) onto ADE 4.0

Connected Kobo Aura

Downloaded new book to Kobo

Now both the new book and the one I borrowed yesterday open.

Success.

I really think there should be some sort of warning to Kobo Aura users to not download ADE 4.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no reason that the fix shouldn't work on ADOBE 4.5.

It worked on 4.5 for me.  I think you may have needed to close and re- open ADE 4.5.  Or maybe power off and re-start your computer.  Or perhaps press the reset button with the paperclip on your ereader.  The software is highly glitchy though.  I think if one's  device freezes mid-load or mid-sign in, one might have to do a factory reset on the  device.  But seriously, doing that and then re-loading all my books took only around ten  minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou Maureen, I was battling with this for two days before finding your post.  Following your instructions to the letter has worked for me with a Kobo Glo & ADE 4.5 in Windows 10. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FionaK:  You are SO welcome.  I am thrilled that something I wrote might have helped one person.  But the real thanks go to the person, who originally found the fix  (even though that person thought we had to downgrade to ADE 3.0.  That just didn't make sense to me.  Updated software is supposed to fix bugs and work better with our library software etc.  Though not always. )

Suzanne:  There are two places where you need to be authorized  to transfer library books to your ereader.  They are: your computer, and your ereader. First open ADE 4.5 software.  First let's look for your computer's authorization. Your computer's authorization is found under the 'help' button located near the top left  (where says: file  library help).  Click the word help.  The first two menu items are about your computer's authorization. This is where you should deauthorize your computer fully. BEFORE you plug in your KOBO, take note of the left hand columns.  You should see: LAST READ, and BOOKSHELVES with various items listed below each.

Next Suzanne, let's look at your kobo.  When you plug your kobo in, you must see the kobo give you a message that says 'computer detected', and at the bottom two options: 'connect to your computer' or 'cancel'.  If you click 'connect to your computer', then when a 'kobo reader:F' folder might open up automatically allowing you to explore what is on the ereader. You can minimize this folder: it's not necessary. ADE 4.5 will refresh itself, because the next time you  look at Adobe Digital Editions, the column on the left should have switched over to now say  LAST READ,  DEVICES, and BOOKSHELVES.   Does it? If not, I have no idea what the problem could be with you kobo.  If it does say devices, then underneath  that it must say KOBO eREADER.  To the right of the word DEVICES, you should see a small gear symbol  (like one of the gears on a clock or a bicycle).  If you hover your mouse over it, the words 'device options' will pop up. Click that little gear symbol to see your authorization options.  This is where you can deauthorize your kobo.

GOOD LUCK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did everything above (thanks to all my fellow frustrated ADE-users!) and finally was able to transfer library books to Kobo a few times, but now the error messages are starting all over again.

I'm preparing to start the whole process over again but returning the offending book and re-ordering it is not a helpful solution for public library books -- you wait months on the holds list, finally get the book and then have to return it without even reading it and go back on the holds list for months only to be unable to read the book, return it, wait months on the holds list, etc. etc. etc. Has Adobe seriously not found a better solution than returning the long-awaited book and starting over? How can I be sure I will be able to transfer the book next time I get to the front of the holds line?

After viewing all the posts, I am not optimistic that Adobe will respond in the near future or with useful advice so I am hoping any surviving ADE-users share new solutions that may have been found since March 2016.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

August 27th, 2020 - This is still an issue. It's happenned 3 times in the last year with my Kobo.

I have 2 computers, one with Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 and one I use frequently which has Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.

When this happens, I have to connect to the old computer with Digital Edition 3.0, I de-authorize my device. Keep your device connected with the USB cable.

Go to your public library, rent a NEW book. You might have to return one if needed. It has to be a book you have never tried to opened before on the device (I tried deleting one but it did not work for me). 

Download the new book. Re-authorize your device. Drop your book on your device. 

"Pray with all your heart..." 

Close everything and un-plugged properly, try opening the book, it should work!

Thanks to : maureenhutch for the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ADE 4.5 and read a lot of library books on my kobo glo reader. 9 Out of 10 books transfer without a problem from my computer to my e-reader via ADE but every once in a while I get the "oops" message. The funny thing is, that I can open the book on my computer and on my tablet, but not on my e-reader.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have the same problem as you and the only thing I can think of is the type of book you download. Some will let you and some will not. Why? I do not know. That's the only thing I can figure out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

não consigo baixar o adobe digital editions,ainda não consegui baixar o

e-book

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>

Livre

de vírus. www.avast.com

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>.

<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

2016-05-05 14:41 GMT-03:00 davinal <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Oops! This document couldn't be opened. created by davinal

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/davinal> in Adobe Digital Editions - View

the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/8731764#8731764>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check out the thread "This book has been returned, loan not on record".

This appears to deal with the same problem just different message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that were true I would not be able to read the book on my tablet or pc. It had just arrived in my check-out box at the library and I downloaded it right after. Oops......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you!! So, only 3 hours for me to solve this problem! I'm so grateful to all of you who wrote your solutions here! I can't believe it's two years since this thread started and the problem still exists!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked on this for ages trying to figure it out.  4 hours today at least.   Finally I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I had Overdrive on my system first then bought the kobo.  Downloaded ADE and installed that.

So this is what worked for me.

I went into settings on my KOBO.  Three bars top right.  Then into accounts.  then deauthorized the KOBO.     Then I went into Adobe Digital Edition and deauthorized my computer.  (under help erase authorization) .    I then reauthorized the computer but when the screen comes up to type in your name and password, over top of that you will see a click box for the type of authorization you need.   I forget exactly what it says but the box will say Adobe Digital Editions.   If you click on that you will see a heading way down the list called Overdrive.  Set that as the authorization.  Click it so the box changes from Adobe Digital to Overdrive.    The KOBO automatically authorized itself from ADE for some reason.   Downloaded a book put it on and it was fine.

It might possibly be because I have both Overdrive and Adobe D.E. on my machine and Overdrive was there first.    Just a guess but it worked for me.  At least for now.   Let me know if this works for you and if you have Overdrive installed.  Maybe it is getting mixed up over the two authorizations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing in the forum has worked for me. I have a Kobo Aura.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset my Kobo to factory . I didn't go to Kobo to update my kobo but bypassed the Kobo site. Then I downloaded a book and put it in ADE and plugged in my Kobo. I authorized it and added the new book. When I opened it in the e-reader it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have to do that every time you borrow a book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted again to the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, I am past frustrated an getting to enraged. None of these fixes are working, I borrowed a book five days ago and haven't read word one! ADE please respond,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you help I have done everything in the forum. uninstalled ADE 3.0 (PC windows 10) (i had a different problem in december and the upgrade was not the answer) , the regedit delete the authorization for the computer and the ereader. restarted multiple times. reauthorized several times. I even tried downloading the book from another library. still this  Oops! This document couldn't be opened this document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. I have tried the fixes in the forum and nothing worked. I tried the chat but this is an unsupported product. I get library books at least weekly and really want to be able to read them on my kobo ereader.  Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the same question I asked, not a reply to my question...

Envoyé de mon iPad

Le 16 mars 2017 à 23:35, jackieg31291561 <forums_noreply@adobe.com<mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com>> a écrit :

Oops! This document couldn't be opened.

created by jackieg31291561<https://forums.adobe.com/people/jackieg31291561> in Adobe Digital Editions - View the full discussion<https://forums.adobe.com/message/9397160#9397160>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem "Ooops this document cannot be opened, protected DRM etc. for over two weeks.  Have tried all forms of deleting, reinstalling, authorizing, de-authorizing, Kobo factory resets, dropping back to ADE 3 from 4.54 and absolutely nothing works.  Books appear in my ADE Library, from public library, and can be read, but Kobo cannot open them!   Should a person be looking for a different type of e reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jean:

My name is Rosalind and I have had the same problem - Op's - and I have now figured it out on my Kobo Glo HD Ereader.

It seems that there are certain Books/Authors that are DRM Block on Abobe - Mine was M.C. Beaton - Death of a Village.

I read all the other Books on my Computer and got feed up and tried numerous site and found this - DRM does NOT ALLOW COPING of this Book.

I have down loaded other Authors and have had no problem.

Hope this helps solve the problem of - Op's - It's not ADOBE's fault - it is the Book/Author.

Regards - Rosalind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for those who are trying to find ADE 3.0, hopfully this will help

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/digitaleditions/ADE_3.0_Installer.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I share your frustration.  For two years my Kobo Touch worked perfectly with the public library.  Suddenly, it quit!  I am sick and tired of the days, not just hours, that I have spent on deletions, installations, authorizations, different versions of ADE and still nothing has changed.  I can read library books in ADE but not on my e reader!  Seems like perhaps we might have to leave Kobo for a different brand of e reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines