Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Read Out Loud from the digital edition

New Here ,
May 26, 2008 May 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure out how to get the digital edition to read outloud to me...I have an e-book and I want it to READ it to me. Please help!
TOPICS
DRM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your idea is great but seems to only work for documents which could also be played / read through another software such as Adobe Reader.  This does not work on the books i have purchased.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a 'backdoor' technique to have Digital Edition 'Read Out Loud'

-Take a screen capture (or screen shot) of the page in Digital Edition.

-Open the screen capture in a program that does OCR (I use Acrobat Pro)

-OCR finds the outline of text and allows you to highlight that text.

-Play highlighted text through a 'text to speech' program.

-Repeat, per page

It may sound like a pain, but I do this technique on my Mac, in a matter of seconds.

Sadly, you can't just do the 'play selected text' option on the Mac.

This is because the Mac processes the "speech" command as "copying/pasting," which is disabled on many ebooks.

I have an annoying case of dyslexia so this 'backdoor' approach is kind of my only option.

I guess you're not having Digital Edition do anything but present the text so you can take a screen capture of it... but whatever.

Hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read most of the replies to this request for help with using the Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 or 3.0 software to read documents aloud.  I use a PC and have a few text to speech programs installed on my computer as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.  However, despite being pretty accomplished using these programs, I haven't figured a way to read Adobe Digital Editions books aloud, or how to copy the text and create my own PDF documents of the books I've bought.  This is exceedingly frustrating!

Though I can see pretty well, in my work, I interact with blind people frequently and this drawback is tremendously inhibiting the effectiveness and sales of documents that could be read using the Adobe Digital Editions software.  I know that because of these drawbacks in the Adobe Digital Editions software, I will not ever use this software or by a ebook that does.  Personally, I have had experience investigating and prosecuting violations of the ADA and I believe that it wouldn't take a genius to somehow find grounds to file suit for violations of the ADA committed by the programmers of Adobe's Digital Editions software!  Even if being negligent of the consumers call for a text aloud option is not prosecutable as a violation of the ADA, such inaction looks very, very bad by consumers of Adobe products and shareholders as well!

The solution to this problem can't be techological:  it must be that Adobe doesn't concern itself with people who are visually impaird or blind.  I am very dissapointed by this conclusion!

If I am incorrect and there is a way to open the Adobe Digital Editions documents using Naturally Speaking or Adobe Acrobat Pro, please reply to this complaint. 

If I am correct and the Adobe programmers are working on a solution, please ask them to hurry up with their work!  It would seem that this would be a rather easy problem for the programmers at Adobe to overcome.  Your organization disappoints me greatly!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a reply to this, Faith?

If not, Wow,  I'll delete adobe right now!!!  People I work with are not blind but there is a HUGE dyslexic population that also requires this software!!!!  What's Adobe doing going back wards like this!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution: Use Microsoft Edge browser to go to the website you bought the book or the link you have to read it online. Then use the build in "read aloud" funciton of Microsoft Edge. If it doesnt work just highlight the text and let the reader read it for you. (click the 3 dots on the right and Read aloud)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines