• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Read Out Loud from the digital edition

New Here ,
May 26, 2008 May 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure out how to get the digital edition to read outloud to me...I have an e-book and I want it to READ it to me. Please help!
TOPICS
DRM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know how to do this on Windows 11? I have Kurtzweil that typically works, but my book is a rental from my school library and will only open with digital editions and I still don't see a read out loud option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please escalate the multiple requests to support accessibility with read-aloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

I have bought ebooks recently and got the unpleasant surprise to receive them in your acsm format when they were actually advertised as epub format.

I have contacted my reseller support and they weren't any helpful, instead, they even tried to trick me in buying a format for their own exclusive reader.

Now, I managed to install your software on both my pc and android phone and revrieve the book's content.

Since text to speech is not a feature included in the package, would you mind helping me to find a way around that would finally get this book spoken ?

I have tried other readers, the files security prevents me from accessing the content or opening.

I have tried the application Talkback and other similar TTS apps but only the application UI elements are read. The book's content is considered as one unreadable element.

Are there any ideas you could give me that would be a work around the invonvenience ?

Thanks for your time,

Lætitia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lætitia

I posted on this thread YEARS ago. Adobe aren’t reading this thread. They
don’t care. You won’t get an answer here. Good luck on your quest.

Best wishes
Reaghan
--
Best wishes
Reaghan Reilly
07522 144575

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Remove acsm protection before it expires

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please see my new post re this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your idea is great but seems to only work for documents which could also be played / read through another software such as Adobe Reader.  This does not work on the books i have purchased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a 'backdoor' technique to have Digital Edition 'Read Out Loud'

-Take a screen capture (or screen shot) of the page in Digital Edition.

-Open the screen capture in a program that does OCR (I use Acrobat Pro)

-OCR finds the outline of text and allows you to highlight that text.

-Play highlighted text through a 'text to speech' program.

-Repeat, per page

It may sound like a pain, but I do this technique on my Mac, in a matter of seconds.

Sadly, you can't just do the 'play selected text' option on the Mac.

This is because the Mac processes the "speech" command as "copying/pasting," which is disabled on many ebooks.

I have an annoying case of dyslexia so this 'backdoor' approach is kind of my only option.

I guess you're not having Digital Edition do anything but present the text so you can take a screen capture of it... but whatever.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read most of the replies to this request for help with using the Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 or 3.0 software to read documents aloud.  I use a PC and have a few text to speech programs installed on my computer as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.  However, despite being pretty accomplished using these programs, I haven't figured a way to read Adobe Digital Editions books aloud, or how to copy the text and create my own PDF documents of the books I've bought.  This is exceedingly frustrating!

Though I can see pretty well, in my work, I interact with blind people frequently and this drawback is tremendously inhibiting the effectiveness and sales of documents that could be read using the Adobe Digital Editions software.  I know that because of these drawbacks in the Adobe Digital Editions software, I will not ever use this software or by a ebook that does.  Personally, I have had experience investigating and prosecuting violations of the ADA and I believe that it wouldn't take a genius to somehow find grounds to file suit for violations of the ADA committed by the programmers of Adobe's Digital Editions software!  Even if being negligent of the consumers call for a text aloud option is not prosecutable as a violation of the ADA, such inaction looks very, very bad by consumers of Adobe products and shareholders as well!

The solution to this problem can't be techological:  it must be that Adobe doesn't concern itself with people who are visually impaird or blind.  I am very dissapointed by this conclusion!

If I am incorrect and there is a way to open the Adobe Digital Editions documents using Naturally Speaking or Adobe Acrobat Pro, please reply to this complaint. 

If I am correct and the Adobe programmers are working on a solution, please ask them to hurry up with their work!  It would seem that this would be a rather easy problem for the programmers at Adobe to overcome.  Your organization disappoints me greatly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a reply to this, Faith?

If not, Wow,  I'll delete adobe right now!!!  People I work with are not blind but there is a HUGE dyslexic population that also requires this software!!!!  What's Adobe doing going back wards like this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know many people with attention issues. Reading text book, no matter how interresting they are is a torture, they just won't stay focussed on these boring pages as the author slowly, very slowly goes through his/her linear thought process. Having a spoken lecture is a bliss for them, they can finally listen to the book while their hands are free to continue whatever activity they do.

We aren't talking about blind or visualy impaired people here, simply regular people who have better things to do than sitting down for hours staring at a paper book. Paying customers.

Now imagine you are buying a regular paper book. Make it an expenssive one.

Delivered to your home, the delivery guy with a shiny clean Adobe uniform refuses to handle the book and instead gets into your bedroom, insterts the book in your booksshelf, attaches a heavy dock to it and puts a seculity lock on it.

Hostile to all your objection, he just takes-off smiling and saying "sorry, just doing my job, maam!".

And there you are, your book was delivered... You can only open it after authenticating with your fingerprints and you can not take it off that shelf. Godbye reading your book comfortly installed in your bed or on your favorite sofa. Goodbye reading in the train, bus or doctor's waiting room. Goodbye the joy of reading a book on the beach while the salty waves massage your feet...

How would you feel ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just received a COCHLEAR IMPLANT . Once this $14,000 device is activated, my audio therapy requires that I visually read a book, while listening to it being read at the same time. 2-3 HOURS PER DAY to train my brain to handle these new sounds. CALIBRE is ideal for this, It actually highlights each word as it is spoken. 

BUT EBOOKS must be in unprotected EPUB or PDF format for CALIBRE to open them.

I download ACSM protected E-books from my local public library,

then use

https://www.acsmconverter.com/

Then add to CALIBRE - then "return" the book to the library so someone else can borrow it. You now have your own copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution: Use Microsoft Edge browser to go to the website you bought the book or the link you have to read it online. Then use the build in "read aloud" funciton of Microsoft Edge. If it doesnt work just highlight the text and let the reader read it for you. (click the 3 dots on the right and Read aloud)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem 😞

It sucks so bad. I have a lot of reading from my school coursework. The books are .scam protected. The digital edition reader seems to be the only way to open the books and it doesn't have read aloud feature. Such a hindrance, annoying, and inefficient way. I'm a good listener so read aloud helps me a lot. It's unbelievable that in 21 century; when we want to go to Mars and s**t, we can get the little things like this sorted out, that would make actually life easier, simpler, more effective, and i guarantee you you would have less copyright problems. Having said that, I've been here before years ago, and still no progress in this matter from adobe. add the feature for gods sake. How hard can it be 😞 So frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem 

will never buy an ebook or Adobe products. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.acsmconverter.com/

Then add to CALIBRE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can open your book in CALIBRE, after opening, RIGHT CLICK and selecct <Read Aloud> It will highlight each word as it is spoken. You can adjust reading speed and font size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines