Highlighted

How do I re-authorize my Kobo ereader?

New Here ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been downloading library ebooks just fine for a while, but then it stopped letting me, saying I need to re-authorize my ereader.

I plugged my Kobo ereader into my computer but ADE shows it's already authorized so I can't do it again. I clicked on Authorize Device anyway, but it was grey so nothing changed. Now I can't open books on my reader but I can read on my computer, through ADE, and on my phone. I don't really like reading on either of those devices though. Any ideas of what I can do about this?

TOPICS
ADE authorization

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I re-authorize my Kobo ereader?

New Here ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been downloading library ebooks just fine for a while, but then it stopped letting me, saying I need to re-authorize my ereader.

I plugged my Kobo ereader into my computer but ADE shows it's already authorized so I can't do it again. I clicked on Authorize Device anyway, but it was grey so nothing changed. Now I can't open books on my reader but I can read on my computer, through ADE, and on my phone. I don't really like reading on either of those devices though. Any ideas of what I can do about this?

TOPICS
ADE authorization

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem as Jo-Anne4.  Can anyone help?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been in touch with Adobe.  The online helper (a real person) referred me to several links I had already tried then suggested "the community". I have de-authorised and re-authorised the e-reader, no joy.  I have done a factory reset. No joy.  This is clearly an Adobe problem and they need to sort it out PDQ.  In the meantime their system is useless and DRM downloads are denied to me and to many others.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Cannot figure out how to de-authorize and re-authorize e-reader??  Menu on ADE is grey (Authorize/deauthorize/auth. info) so can't access that..BIGGEST problem is not being able to contact Adobe Help!!  Clicking on the link at page bottom just gets to a page with useless links but NO PERSONAL HELP CONNECTION.  This is so frustrating.  Everything was going swimmingly for years, then all of a sudden BOTH of our readers aquired the "must re-authorize" warnings.   Does anyone have suggestions as to how to reach a person at the Help Center?  Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this be a problem related to Adobe 4.5.11, rather than Adobe 3.0? I just got a new computer & had ADE 4.5.11 installed. Seems about the time the problem arose. Any way to get back to ADE 3.0?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded version 3 but it is 32-bit and so will not work with my software.  This is shoddy on Adobe's part.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found a link for a 3.0 download, but it wouldn't start the download.  Probably just as well.

Getting choked about this as I have a few books on reserve from the library site (waited about 6+ months for availability), and they are due to come available for download in the next 2 weeks.  But useless if they can't be loaded to my reader in useable form 😞 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I consulted my local library who sent this:

To fix this error you will need to reauthorize your computer with Adobe Digital Editions. 

First you will need to deauthorize. This can be done by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + D at the same time. This option can also be found in the help menu named 'Erase Authorization' 

After doing this you should reauthorize the computer by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + U or selecting 'Authorize Computer' from the help menu. On the box that opens select to authorize with an Adobe ID in the drop down menu. There is a button to create an Adobe ID if you don't already have one.

When authorized in this way you should be able to access and transfer titles as expected.

It worked for me, so far.  I did point out that it was the device specifically which had the message to reauthorize "the device" so I did not expect to "erase" the computer's authorization, particularly as on the help menu that option was greyed out but I tried the shortcut and it did work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with my Kindle Clara HD. The public library suggested a few things. #2 worked for me!

1) My first question would be if you're using another device (a smartphone, tablet, etc.) to read the same ebooks? If you have different devices with differing authorization methods, this can block access.
2) Have you set up your OverDrive integration on the Kobo? This solves some of the run-around our patrons experience with the whole process. If you haven't, take a look at OverDrive's instructions here: https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/2194.htm

Once that's set up, tapping the sync button at the top right of the Kobo should easily download most titles to your device.

3) Are you transfering ebooks to the Kobo using Adobe Digital Editions? If so, and you are using version 4.5 this version can very problematic. Rolling back to 3.0 often solves the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
plywoody LATEST
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did finally sync my Kobo with Overdrive & it works.  However I would still like to be able to transfer ebooks to Kobo using ADE.  Tried re-installing ADE 3.0 but other issues cropped up, so I am waiting for Adobe to fix the problem with ADE 4.5

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0