• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Basic shapes and models – modify thickness.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a questions about modifying models and basic shapes.

I want to create a packaging visual of a box with an outer cardboard sleeve.

My process of thought was:

- There is a cube box in models which is perfect for the box.

- There is a hollow cube in models which I thought would work for the sleeve but I am unable to adjust its thickness, so it's not a good option for the sleeve.

- I used planes in the basic shapes to build the four sides of a sleeve. But I cannot adjust the plane thickness and when I place a graphic onto the place it's transparent. 

My questions:

» can the hollow cube thickness be modified?

» can the plane thickness be modified? (Y size is 0 and cannot be changed but X & Z can be changed)

» can the plane be made opaque? I have tried adding material etc without luck.

Refer attached visual. 

Surely they can be adjusted and there is probably an easy solution I have missed. 

I using the Dimensions 3.4.4 (OS big sur) and 3.4.3 (OS Catalina). 

Thanks

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 10.16.34 am.png

My questions:

» can the plane thickness be modified? (Y size is 0 and cannot be changed but X & Z can be changed)

By @frontline design
  1. yes but Dimension is very limited and most people are better to build a box from a software designed for the task like Blender, the old Photoshop before Adobe dropped 3D or Sketchup all do a better job
  2. no its a set piece
  3. yes you can use the magic

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 10.16.34 am.png

My questions:

By @frontline design
  1. yes but Dimension is very limited and most people are better to build a box from a software designed for the task like Blender, the old Photoshop before Adobe dropped 3D or Sketchup all do a better job
  2. no its a set piece
  3. yes you can use the magic wand to select the outside edges of the box in your screengrab then select a new material... in effect this makes the box have an outside edge 'glued' to the inside edge or you can use the export Uv map to edit the textures in Photoshop but Adobe has dropped Photoshop from its 3D workflow and has not made up their mind how to fix their workflow (or even if they will get around to it) so I don't recommend sticking with it but Photoshop 22 should still work if you do want to try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi USSNorway, thanks for your feedback and advice.

I have been making more complex shapes in Photoshop and was disappointed when the 3D features changed - I quickly reverted back to a previous version of PSD.

I will give the magic wand a try, hopefully it helps. 

Dimensions could be a great piece of software for packaging visuals with a few updates that to me seem to have been obvious to include.

thanks again

😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines