• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Decal will not go all the way around an object in Adobe Dimension

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to put a label on a bottle. When I scale the label to wrap around 50% of the bottle the image begins to stretch/distort and you can make it read it anymore. 

It seems to wrap around some objects such as the coffee cup, but not when I put it on the cylinder. Is there a way to fix this?

TOPICS
Feature request , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

decals don't wrap all the way around 360 because thats impossible and not going to change... the "at this time part" is the team working on a more idiot proof option of exporting your Uv map into Photoshop so you can line up where the image 'full' against your model and that was added back in Oct last year

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/dimension/using/exporting-model-uvs.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a tough answer.  The short version is decals aren't currently designed for 360 wraps.  They work on some models if they are made 'just so', but it won't wrap 100% around most objects.  We're working on improving that for decals, but right now if you want something to go 100% around an object it's better to use the image in the material Base Color property instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but right now if you want something to go 100% around an object it's better to use the image in the material Base Color property instead."

How do we do that?

-- I am having same issue -- I have a product label that is designed for a 360 degree wrap on a cylinder object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the material (double click on the model or use the scene panel to expand the object and find the material).

In the properties look for the "Base Color"

Click on the color swatch to open the Color Picker window

Change the picker from "Color" to "Image" mode

Load your image.

You can then use the material texture options for scale and offset to control the positioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked in theory but the image is too large -- how can i resize it? -- Texture options only allow to offset and repeat -- the image needs to actually be resized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind -- Go it figured out! -Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you manage to figure it out please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am stuck here, how did you figure out how to adjust the scaling of the base image? Mine is all skewed and I can only manipulate the offset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the material (double click on the model or use the scene panel to expand the object and find the material).

In the properties look for the "Base Color"

Click on the color swatch to open the Color Picker window

Change the picker from "Color" to "Image" mode

Load your image.

You can then use the material texture options for scale and offset to control the positioning.

WHERE DO I FIND THE Material Texture Option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, it's been over 3 years since Adobe informed us that "... decals aren't currently designed for 360 wraps."

I mean, can we get an update on this deficiency of Dimension? How has this not yet been added? Why has this not yet been added?

Using the "base color" hack doesn't particularly work, since it just comes out used as a fill on the entire object which is selected for editing of the "base color." As an example, it would work like this (wrapping the can, but not the top):

object-wrap.png

Unless one creates through trial and error (trying different object heights of an object that would be a separate middle part of a can) a different object, nothing can be done to create a 360 wrap around decal that doesn't fill the entire object, like this desired look (which has no gap between the start and end of the label):

360-decal-wrap.png

And if one has labels that each wrap 360, and are all different heights, then the theoretical middle object that is created to "fill" using the hack... can't be re-used at all.

Please, please... when can Adobe finally offer 360 decal wraps?! Come on, now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

decals don't wrap all the way around 360 because thats impossible and not going to change... the "at this time part" is the team working on a more idiot proof option of exporting your Uv map into Photoshop so you can line up where the image 'full' against your model and that was added back in Oct last year

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/dimension/using/exporting-model-uvs.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrapping a decal around 360º is impossible to do with software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

around a tube like a can or pipe yes its impossible because the edges distorts up\ down in an optical illusion of roundness i.e, the back of the can will never line up because the image has been bent up

when you put an image on a model you have two options "full or decal"... if you want 360 wrap then you must pick full and the image distorts i.e, wraps around the model in what ever way the Uv map says is correct

the basic difference is a decal ignores the models Uv map and is more lined up by eye as it were

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

beulahw69084215  wrote

I'm trying to put a label on a bottle. When I scale the label to wrap around 50% of the bottle the image begins to stretch/distort and you can make it read it anymore. 

as a rule, make your labels bigger (ppi) so they don't distort when you scale them onto your object

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is actually a 2k (2048x2048) limit right now, so larger than that won't make a difference.  We'll remove that soon though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There, when do you plan to remove the 2k limit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit frustrated with this issue. I've been trying different things but neither worked.

First tried with this grid as a decal. When I place it, it looks weird. I calculated the perimeter but still looks deformed. Yes, it's not wrapping all the way around.
So I try to stretch it manually, looks better but still not wrapping my cylinder.

1.jpg

So I try using my image as background. Okay, now it wraps the cylinder but not the face I wanted.

So I try with a tube instead, this should work right? NOPE!

2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I tried importing a .obj model created on Blender and it works. Placed my artwork as decal and it wraps around correctly.

Seems like the problem are Adobe's basic models.

Captura de pantalla 2018-04-06 a las 10.55.45.pngCaptura de pantalla 2018-04-06 a las 10.55.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is that last (blender made) object in fact just a plane i.e, a flat surface?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know much about 3D, so it's probably wrongly made. I used a cylinder and applied a sub surf to it. Then exported it to .obj (I can't remember if I expanded it first).

Captura de pantalla 2018-04-20 a las 19.14.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution works well but the image offset under the background image properties is X1 Y2. Make sure you unlock the lock for proportions so that it is off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After one day searching how to solve this problem, finally I got it. I was doing the 3D object on photoshop. When I did the 3D object in Illustrator, it export the obj perfectly, and the label turn 360º with no wrap, cuts or distortion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines