Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Decal won't wrap around entire cube

Participant ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more question

I have a cube and I am trying to put a decal on it to wrap around all 4 sides. As you can see below, no matter where I drop it on the cube, it only goes onto 2 sides. The other two sides are blank, even when resizing the decal...it just stops at an edge.  Dropping another decal on the back results in the error that only 1 decal per object.

What am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Unfortunately there is no direct easy way to do this.  If it's a custom OBJ I recommend looking at the UVs and exporting a UV template so you can line up the graphics exactly in Photoshop/Illustrator.  We're working on supporting that, but there's just no easy way right now, takes a good bit of guess work without the UVs which our content from the Assets panel doesn't come with.

You might want to just make the cube in Photoshop 3D then export to Dimension to render.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another oddity.  I imported an image (a simple square jpg created in Photoshop, just a solid color)  I dropped it on the cube and resized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump.  Any ideas?  I am correct in saying a decal/image should wrap around all 4 sides of a cube...correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.... well, yes and no, but it depends on a lot of things.

Decals aren't actually ideal for wrapping fully around an object.  They do go nearly 360 degrees, but you'll usually see distortion if you try to do a full wrap.  We're working on improving the pipeline for full wrap designs, but right now a single decal won't usually get you the best results.

It also depends on the model.  It looks like in this case the cube might have shared UVs (UVs are the coordinates that tell the 3D model which part of the image belongs where).  Is this the cube from the app or did you make a custom object and import it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are cubes are straight from the app.

Maybe I should be asking this a different way.  I want to make a cube (this will ultimately be a product like a perfume sprayer) and I need to cover all 4 sides with graphics.  I can create the graphics easily in Photoshop.  How can I put a graphic on all 4 sides of a cube?

I guess since I am able to cover 2 sides of a cube easily, I could have 2 cubes on top of each other offset by a miniscule amount.  Not ideal but its my last resort before I move on from Dimensions for now (which I really wanted to work for this project!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately there is no direct easy way to do this.  If it's a custom OBJ I recommend looking at the UVs and exporting a UV template so you can line up the graphics exactly in Photoshop/Illustrator.  We're working on supporting that, but there's just no easy way right now, takes a good bit of guess work without the UVs which our content from the Assets panel doesn't come with.

You might want to just make the cube in Photoshop 3D then export to Dimension to render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess what I want to do is theoretically possible in Dimensions

3d video from Adobe Dimensions CC - YouTube

Steps to reproduce:

1. created 2 cubes, offset by a pixel or two. 
  2. covered 2 sides of each cube.
  3. Lowered horizon while raising objects (to obscure the grid)
  4. Used Jing, an old and free screen capture software
  5. recorded with a steady hand.
  6. converted output (a swf file) to mpeg.

To perfect my method:

• I need to work on the angle of the item so I am rotating on a center axis.
  • Need to get a better screen capture software than Jing in order to avoid the need to convert and watermarks.

It may not be ideal, but it works for my purposes

- Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this oversight in Dimension's design been rectified?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! There's a new update which allows you to export an objects UV now:

https://youtu.be/ZjZKkBqUrmU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature doesn't seem to work with a rectangle... If a rectangle is created and you select Export UV's, you get the same square UV's as oulined in the video above... It does not seem to create that custom wrap template which would work for the rectangle. 

Please let me know if I am attacking this improperly. 

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

export Uv still works well on any object that has a Uv map;

the key points are when she converts the models before placing the image back in Dimension and using the Full command instead of Decal... rectangles, squares or anything else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got this to work. Patience is a virtue... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines