• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DIMENSION maximum Ram Requirements and expert advice on overall maximum and ($cheapest$) specs.

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently using a Macbook Pro (2016 base model, 13 inch, 8GB, 128 GB SSD). I started using ADOBE DIMENSIONS and ACC recently after nearly 15 years and it's System Requirements Check has my computer at less than optimal Ram Requirements, and 128 GB is not enough disk space to save all ACC Apps. So, I'm looking to get a new computer and I want a 15 or 16 inch Macbook Pro, and I guess at least 16 GB ram, but with the option of going up to 64 GB - 32 GB in each DIMM - what is best? I can't imagine spending $4.5K on a laptop but I want this one to be my last purchase for more than 5 years and use all the apps I might want to use and not be prevented from being creative when I might want to.

How much Ram do I need to get a green check mark in the category of Ram in DIMENSION? And going beyond that to using all ACC Apps, what is the optimal Ram needed to use all apps? - my guess is 16 GB or 32 GB, and with the option of the expensive HBM2 GPU, if that is also the best option for Animation/3D. I would spend less on the Memory to include the HBM2 GPU and then the SSD to at least 2 TB SSD. 

And finally to make it very clear - My $1299 2016 Macbook Pro so much cheaper than a 15 or 16 inch 2020 Macbook Pro that starts at $2799 and I can use the apps I want  with my old 13 inch, except that I need more Ram and Disk Space - but this time around I really want to get the 15 or 16 and I want it to work just as good as my 13 inch when using the internet - Disney+, Excel, Lightroom and all other apps - my current mac is fast! How do I minimally max out so I can get deep into learning Animation/3D and not get stumped later on because of lack of specifications.

Your expert advice is greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Creative , Feature request , Hardware , How to , Mac , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Dimension minimum system requirements are pretty low, so not having a green checkbox for optimal is okay!  It just means it's not 'optimal'!  Media like 3D and video can be very intense at the upper end, and really the limitations just impact the size and complexity of the content you can make.  You can work with 4GB of RAM and make small scenes or edit video in 2K.  But if you want to make big 3D scenes with lots of textures and edit video in 4K or 8K, you probably need to upgrade your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are waisting your time with Mac

the best thing on the market for 3D work is a Ryzen desktop but any Windows laptop with i7 chip [9 runs to hot] and at least two drives should handle whatever Dimension needs... if a ROG laptop is too flash for you then look around for someone like a Asus N580V which is a few years old now and easy to snap up for under a grand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great advice! Thank you!!! a PC dedicated to content creation is the route I will take.

I found the ROG and also ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 15". Please let me know if you used either with Adobe Creative Cloud, especially the duo screen capabilities with Adobe Creative Cloud - is Illustrator compatible with the pen and both screens? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoG (republic or Gaming) and Zen are general categories not actual models

RoG have the best parts at the time and are $ because of that;

in Australia today a ROG Strix GL702VS will set you back 1,350 aussie bucks and that may sound cheap to a Apple user but its a lot to pay for any Windows laptop... of course MSI have their own 'Gaming' markets but the point is, for that you get the very best of everything

Zen is something you get your mum to play Bingo or do word on... don't buy a Zen unless cheap is the most important thing

the downside of RoG laptops is that they are marketed at kids for gaming and tend to be a bit toyish to adult eyes... if you want a good laptop i.e, all good parts including Gpu then look at the Vivobooks because they have the parts of a RoG without the flash

in general Adobe software will run \ boot on almost anything but they mostly understand Apple more than Microsoft and thats just the way it is mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After seeing the Win based products, I'm dissappointed - I agree that the look is for kids. Oh well, bac to Mac and probably a 13". I just tried After Effects with my current 13" and I think I'm just lacking Ram and Disk Space required to run at its best. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes I got my daughter one to play her Sims and would never take it to work with me ;(

good luck with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dimension minimum system requirements are pretty low, so not having a green checkbox for optimal is okay!  It just means it's not 'optimal'!  Media like 3D and video can be very intense at the upper end, and really the limitations just impact the size and complexity of the content you can make.  You can work with 4GB of RAM and make small scenes or edit video in 2K.  But if you want to make big 3D scenes with lots of textures and edit video in 4K or 8K, you probably need to upgrade your machine.

I recommend checking the official system requirements which we update yearly to reflect the latest minimum and recommended hardware for both Mac and Windows:
https://helpx.adobe.com/sea/dimension/user-guide.html/sea/dimension/system-requirements.ug.html

Finally, some general notes:

• 16GB RAM is standard these days, you almost can't get a machine without that minimum.  32GB is better, but will cost more.
  • Also consider VRAM (Video-RAM, which comes with the graphics card).  Most graphics cards come with 4GB or 8GB and I recommend getting 8GB if possible to future proof yourself.  While it won't help as much immediately because GPU rendering is Windows only, it is pllanned for Mac as well.
  • Optimizing a great CPU will help with more than just Dimension, they are used by everything like Excel, your browser, streaming, etc.
  • A mdoern GPU will give you a superior experience.  While eventually GPU rendering will be available for both Mac and Win, it is Windows only for now.  Mac is coming in the future, but something to consider that at least for Dimension Mac has a slight disadvantage there.
Senior Product Manager, 3D & Immersive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I'll check the link and again thank you for your notes - now I understand the difference between Mac and Windows and the GPU. I'll consider a Windows laptop too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines