• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Introducing Adobe Substance 3D Stager and Dimension update!

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!  Jeanette here, lead product manager for Dimension.  It's been a little while since I've had an announcement for the community, but I'm very happy to be able to break the silence on some exciting news.

Today we launched a new application - Adobe Substance 3D Stager!  Stager is built by the same team that built Dimension with a shared foundation for some technology while also being a bit reimagined.  Where Dimension was a general purpose application that was intended for those new to 3D to learn, Stager is a dedicated scene staging application that is more powerful for professional 3D artists while retaining it's approachability for those learning 3D.

Stager.png

So what are some of the key differences between Dimension and Stager?

• Dimension was more general purpose where Stager is specifically part of the new Substance 3D Collection which offers multiple applications for an end-to-end 3D workflow including modeling, texturing, and staging.
  • The rendering engine has been updated and reworked to the Adobe Mercury Rendering Engine.  This engine is multi-technique, including both real time and ray tracing in a single engine.  It is built with entire new infrastructure for modernizing techniques, improving performance and scaling to be available on more hardware.
  • Stager's material system has been updated for a new version of the Adobe Standard Material definition with tons of new effects like displacement, subsurface scattering, dispersion, clear coat, sheen, anisotropy, and more.
  • Stager includes a variety of general new staging features including collision based layout, multi-camera resolution outputs, physical lights, and much more.

What does this mean for Dimension?

• Dimension will continue to be available as part of Creative Cloud All Apps plans - there is no change to it's availability!  To see Dimension Creative Cloud desktop go to settings > apps > and enable "Show older apps" setting.
  • Dimension doesn't have any major planned releases right now  - we'll be putting new features into Stager, but we will provide support updates for Dimension!
  • You can open Dimension files in Stager to take advantage of all the new features - also try Stager out for a full 30 day free trial!

Want to learn more about everything?  Check out some of these resources:

We're really excited about the opportunity to build a new family of 3D applications that work seamlessly to provide an end-to-end experience for modeling, texturing, and staging 3D models and scenes and we hope you enjoy the new Substance 3D Stager app!

--

Edit: 8/17

Thank you all for the great conversation on Dimension and Stager.  It's clear there's a lot of passion and excitement for amazing staging apps, and I take my duty to the community seriously.  Please know that all of your concerns about pricing, confusion on the Dimension status, and Stager future, have been escalated to our leadership teams and we're working on some possible improvements!

Here's a round up of the latest information based on some questions and discussion that have happened in various threads:

Dimension

• Dimension is still part of Creative Cloud All Apps plan.
  • Dimension is currently hidden by deafult on Creative Cloud Desktop.
  • To see Dimension you must go to CCD > Preference > Apps > and enable "Show older apps"
  • The "Show older apps" option may be disabled by administrators for education and enterprise organizations.
  • We are actively working to REVERSE this so that Dimension is not hidden, as it is confusing and inaccurate.
  • Update 8/19: This is now reversed!  Dimension is available by default and you no longer need to enable "Show older apps".
  • Dimension is NOT end-of-lifed, but we are not working on new features for it (at this time).

Stager

• Stager is exclusive to the Substance 3D Collection plan. 
  • There are currently not any single app plans for Substance apps - we are investigating this possibility!
  • It is not currently planned that any Substance apps will be added to the CC All Apps plans.
  • HOWEVER, the exception is that Substance 3D Collection is free for those with CC All Apps for Higher Education.
  • HOWEVER, the limitation is that Substance 3D Collection for Higher Education is available for Shared Device Licensing (SDL) and Feature Restricted Licensing (FRL).  It is not yet available for Named User Licensing (NUL).
  • We hope to work on Named User Licensing for Higher Edu support, but I don't have a clear timeline on that.  It's months at least.  Unfortunately there's little we can do to accellerate this.  Adobe licensing land is a bit complicated and we have people working on it!

As always I try to be as transparent as possible with the community, but there's limits to what I can say on a public forum.  Everything is subject to change, and I will do my best to communicate as we move forward!

Senior Product Manager, 3D & Immersive
TOPICS
Creative

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 230 Replies 230
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree… and we should keep the pressure up. No new Dimension releases show clearly the promise to keep it alive is a lie. 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your support people! As a matter of fact, last release on Dimension on Mac is broken – people cannot import any models (from Adobe Stock or event from Dimension library, see https://community.adobe.com/t5/dimension-discussions/unable-to-import-model-error/td-p/13612249). Clearly the situation does not improve, rather the opposite. 

Adobe – you really need to improve your game. There is competition out there, you know? Not a big one, not a smooth one. But going for Affinity, DaVinci Resolve, Blender, Sketch and Logic Pro pretty much gives you all you need. And while it would hurt, the price difference is significant. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @david.urban.cz!

Are you still experiencing the import error in Dimension 3.4.9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the notification, I have just updated to the new version and it is working fine… I could not find Dimension release notes (only this outdated article: https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/using/whats-new.html). Is Dimension still fully supported? Where can one find complete release notes? @AEllard ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no Dimension isn't and no they didn't give full release notes even when it was supported

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have too the same opinion. Adobe should replace Dimension with Substance Stager for the CC all apps plan.
Stager should be an entry point for 3D to all CC users plan as was Dimension.
If people wants more about 3D, and get even more complex with this then they have to go for that Substance 3D collection plan to then get the extra specific apps as 3D Designer, 3D Modeler and so on...

What is currentle happenning is that lots of CC users will get Blender and then discover that one free app does all of what the Substance 3D collection plan does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines