• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link to decal graphic files, so updates are automatic (like indesign)

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be great to have this feature, so updating graphics on the model was much faster. Possibly with a checkbox when you import a decal to choose if you want to keep a link to the original, or just import it.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

I think I understand what you mean>

You  mention above " I export to png and import each page into
dimension. Would be good to be able to link these so I can just re export from
indesign and have them update."

That means that you export PNG from InDesign single page  and then import it as a decal into Dn. Your PNG file is linked to original page in InDesign.

You goals is to update PNG in Dn when you make changes in InDesign page.Right? Dn is not auto-updated your file because it havent workflo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Hey Ares

No, sorry you have it wrong again, and I don't know why you marked it as correct answer.

I don't want any link between DN and Indesign. I only want a link to the PNG file. Im happy to keep updating the PNG files from indesign using export. I only want DN to recognise that the PNG file has changed, and display the changes in DN.

Im sorry this has been so hard for people to understand. It was a simple request in my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After importing decal into Dn on object you can click on Edit icon to open decal for editing in Ps or Ai. (that depends on file format) After saving original changes in will be updated in Dn. Do you mean this feature?

Screenshot 2020-11-25 193300.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to know, but in my circumstance, I have a multipage indesign
file for a retail package. I export to png and import each page into
dimension.

Would be good to be able to link these so I can just re export from
indesign and have them update.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign uses a different script and will not sync to Dimension, nice idea but its the wrong kind of code

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ussnorway, 

Not sure what you mean there, my workflow uses PNG or JPG files, not actual indesign files as decals. I start with indesign, export to PNG, and I want those PNGs to be linked to the originals when I import them into Dimension. So if they get updated, Dimension will update them. 

Ta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm: Are you importing or placing them as decals on object as PNG? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing PNG files as decals. I prefer PNG as sometimes I have transparency and want to show the packaging through the decal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is the main issue;

Indesign uses Windows Gpu and can handle what most people call transparency however Dimension V2 onwards uses the Mac metal drivers which can't

when you save a file from Indesign as Png for use in Dimension be sure to add a black or white background to the image or your results will look crappy... there are work arounds but that is the basic rule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Ussnorway I've never had any issues with PNGs, and this is not what my
feature request is about.

I'm simply asking that dimension retains a link to the original file used
for a decal. If the linked file has been updated, then update it in
dimension. Simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand what you mean>

You  mention above " I export to png and import each page into
dimension. Would be good to be able to link these so I can just re export from
indesign and have them update."

That means that you export PNG from InDesign single page  and then import it as a decal into Dn. Your PNG file is linked to original page in InDesign.

You goals is to update PNG in Dn when you make changes in InDesign page.Right? Dn is not auto-updated your file because it havent workflow with InDesign. 

Dn opens placed decal file in Ps or Ai and create temporary file (copy of original) from decal for auto-updating after changes in Ps or Ai. For your task Dn need to open *.*.innd file where you can change your page and get decal updated in Dn 

If you not open Ps or Ai file from Dn by clicking on icon that I show in my previous message it will not updated in Dn. Therefore Dn must open innd file after using mentioned "Edit" icon as for Ai or PS and create temperory innd file for auto-update.

Please use https://feedback.adobedimension.com/forums/552559-adobe-dimension-feature-requests to send feature requests. Your contributions can help team shape the future of DImension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ares

No, sorry you have it wrong again, and I don't know why you marked it as correct answer.

I don't want any link between DN and Indesign. I only want a link to the PNG file. Im happy to keep updating the PNG files from indesign using export. I only want DN to recognise that the PNG file has changed, and display the changes in DN.

Im sorry this has been so hard for people to understand. It was a simple request in my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Evan,  That isn't possible now in Dn. Please fill new feature at and share your ideas with Dn Team  use https://feedback.adobedimension.com/forums/552559-adobe-dimension-feature-requests

PS. Correct answer has not be marked by me. If you not agree you can unmark it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I marked Ares answer correct because he gave you the link to the right place to ask for your idea... the fact that what you want to add into Dimension isn't possible doesn't change that his answer is correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @Ussnorway for clarification!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines