• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Materials not applying correctly

Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve recently started using Blender to create objects, but for now I am still using Adobe Dimension to build my scene since I already know it and am midway through a project.

I just imported my first blender related object, and I’m not able to match the material of existing objects to the new object. The new objects absorb the color, but not the “texturing” (e.g. surface variations).

Note the rifles and pistols on the left have nice tonal variations, and the batons on the right do not.

I’ve tried using the sampler tool and starting from scratch with the Darken Antique Bronze and then adjusting color and other properties.

duck9000_0-1627961244484.png

This could well be some setting in Blender as I’ve ad no problem importing objects I’ve created in Photoshop and Sketchup, so I’m asking in my Blender community also. But if anyone has any ideas, I’d sure be grateful. 

TOPICS
Import and export , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

try this;

step 1 load the model you have sort of working into Dimension and take \ share a screengrab so we can see it... this is the model you made in Blender that looks ok until you try to add a new material

step 2 with that model selected in Dimension [ie. before change the material step] , ask Dimension to generate a new Uv for it from the top tool bars... does this now allow you to change materials without breaking the model?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the baton looks like an extrusion and if made in Photoshop then you forgot the 'generate UV' step... in any event the error is in the models and pretty easy to repair

p.s, make wavefront Obj models

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ussnorway Thank you!  I'm really new to this, and didn't understand the funtion of the UV map.  I've done some reading now, so I'm starting to get it.

I'm not using Photoshop, I'm using Blender. I found a modifier that adds the UV map, and it seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ussnorway 

I just realized this doesn't fully solve my problem. With the UV Map I have generated, it looks fine if I export/import the object with materials defined, but I still can't define the materials within Dimension. I can adjust the color, but when I change the material definition the Baton just turns back to the "untextured" (I'm not sure if I'm uising the right term when I say "textured") blob.

There are several ways to create the UV map in Blender, so I'm going to try something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ussnorway 

Just looking at a past post about Blender to Dimension.  In that post, you say "the fix is to import the Obj then select it {or just the small parts} and pick a material from the Dimension list... you can then edit it for colour etc".

My problem is that when I apply a material (either using the sampler tool or an asset), I loose all detail on the object surface.

btw, I am using wavefront obj 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this;

step 1 load the model you have sort of working into Dimension and take \ share a screengrab so we can see it... this is the model you made in Blender that looks ok until you try to add a new material

step 2 with that model selected in Dimension [ie. before change the material step] , ask Dimension to generate a new Uv for it from the top tool bars... does this now allow you to change materials without breaking the model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ussnorway 

Fabulous! I just did that, and it worked

I also found I can create the UV map a different way in Blender, and then the export/import works. What I did is this:

• In Edit Mode
  • Go to UV |Smart UV Project
  • Click OK

I used the defaults, except Island Margin, I changed to .03.  I have no idea what this is actually, but a YouTube video suggestid that, and for now it's working for me.

Thanks to YouTube and helpful people like you, I'm figuring this stuff out one step at time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines