Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D Trapez

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
I create packaging-layouts with inDesign.
To give my client a better feeling for tzhe look I used the Software BoxShot for a simple 3D look.

Now I got a size which is a trapez:
https://com--padres.de/trapez-with-dimensions/

I wanted to create a simple 3D model with dimensions, but I can not find the way to built or import the form/shape "trapez".
Actually a very simple structure, but neither google nor youtube showed me any solution ...
Maybe somebody in the forium ca help me ..

Thans in advance
Arne

TOPICS
Creative , How to , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

It would be possible to make that in SketchUp, and give it heiarchy to be able to fold it. And Dimension imports SketchUp files, which should give you a foldable box inside Dimension as well. I couldn't find a way to move the axes in Dimension, and it didn't always follow what I had set in SketchUp. Here's the Dimension file that I made, you can dig through the heiarchy of the model and rotate parts to fold them. I added the SketchUp file as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your main issue is that software make 2D templates and Adobe Dimension works in 3\4D

trapez Kopie.jpg

imo you are much better of to use a tool designed to make 3D shapes and there is a beta

https://feedback.adobedimension.com/forums/552559-adobe-dimension-feature-requests/suggestions/20357...

baring that start with one of the default boxes included in Adobe Dimension and export the Uv map to design your artwork in Photoshop

p.s, I reposted your image just to save people on phones having to download it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for your answer.
Actually, I created the artwork in "inDesign", made screenshots of the different sides of the packaging and visualised it with the software "BoxShot". Example pictures attached.
No problem with simple forms/shapes.

But for more complex forms (like a trapez) I thought I could use "Dimensions".
There should be a way to build a simple form like a trapez; or do I have to generate this form in another Software to import it in "Dimensions"?
Thanks for your help.
Arne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be possible to make that in SketchUp, and give it heiarchy to be able to fold it. And Dimension imports SketchUp files, which should give you a foldable box inside Dimension as well. I couldn't find a way to move the axes in Dimension, and it didn't always follow what I had set in SketchUp. Here's the Dimension file that I made, you can dig through the heiarchy of the model and rotate parts to fold them. I added the SketchUp file as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I can only attach one file per reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I got Sketchup. Will try this.
Thanks for your help.
At least, it shows me, that it is NOt possible to create new forms in Dímensions.
At my first use of the program I thought I would be to stupid to find the right solution ...
🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dn file.

It seems Dn files won't attach. If someone can tell me how to do that, I will attach that file as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't upload a Dn file to this forum... yes I know what Adobe staff said

work around;

Screenshot (439).pngScreenshot (440).png

1. zip the Dn file (only zip works not 7z or any other type) and drop it into your Adobe sync folder
  2. allow the creative cloud to finish uploading it to their server then open the web ui
  3. select the zip file and set your share option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggest work around. I've tried a different one, lets see if this works (it will have the file for the next 7 days):

Foldable Package.dn 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works well... nice model Collin

Screenshot (444).png

Tip: Adobe Dimension always folds relative to the ground plane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you able to change the local axes? In SketchUp I tried to set each local axes so that the child objects would rotate well, but some of those get lost in Dimension. When in SketchUp I can rotate around any axes I like, but I couldn't see how to do that in Dimension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to move a tab = select it then move it

this is a SkeakUp file and a custom one at that so I assume the big issue is just finding the tabs?

good news = Adobe Dimension reads \ opens SkechUp files correct

bad news = Adobe Dimension has no clue what the file actually is... it just opens it with whatever settings you have made

• the file you made has custom mum \ child settings that Dimension doesn't really see so you need to click on the model (green) in order to open any sub parts of the model
  • red = change the name (which I would just to help track which part is which) & yellow i.e, any other part of the layer just selects the layer itself

Screenshot (449).png

• in Adobe Dimension you have; top, center and bottom which normally is how the part joins to the main model or how it sits on the ground plan but in this case your SkechUp has custom settings for some of the tabs and Dimension tries to follow that if it can... you can break these joins and reattach them if you need some special option but (watch the vid) have a play first to see if 1 option is going to work for you

p.s, sorry about my spelling I'm in a train mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answers, solutions and examples.

:-)))))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your video shows the problem, that with pivot set to top, bottom, or center, the rotation is still around a global x, y, or z (can't tell for sure).

In SketchUp I can set the rotation to be based on any set of edges. Being able to change the pivot point to any location, and the pivot direction, would be usefil. Not that a lot of people are doing folding in Dimension yet! But maybe they would do if it was made easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your video shows the problem, that with pivot set to top, bottom, or center, the rotation is still around a global x, y, or z (can't tell for sure).

By @Colin Holgate

yes Dimension always rotates to the ground plan reguardless of how the model actually sits... this is by design and the dev team has been asked to change it or at least add extra options

as a workaround you can open your model in some other 3D software, move the tabs to more or less where you want them and then send the model to Dimension or you can rotate the model inside Dinmension first to something like a 45 angle then move the tabs (they rotate to the ground not the model) and then rotate the main model back flat to the ground again... this 2nd option is what I tend to do but yes it could be a better system

now a quick word on tabs; imo they should be hidden because a 3D model should not have tabs. they are there as guides in 2D templates to show people where to fold and attach parts but they just get in the way of demo rendors... Collin made a good model where the tabs can be adjusted without buggering up the overall design look so you have options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines