• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A Call for HELP! (not a question about an app) A commentary on the current system

Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The really short version: Bring back PDF manuals

First the summary points (for those who do not want to read in depth)

1. Video based tutorials are not an effective substitute for written manuals.
  2. Throwing up everything (community, tutorials, disparate written sections, etc) when I hit F1 is a hindrance, not a help

When I'm looking for help during a project, 99 times out of a 100, I expect the text that describes that tool/function. More than a tool tip pop-up, less than a four part video tutorial. Tight, concise maybe a simple graphic (look at adobe's older user manuals) then if I want to read the sub-section, section, chapter in which this was found I can readily do it. Remember the breadcrumb system that would guide you in a hierarchical manner at the adobe website. Additionally a next/previous system (in books, that is called turning the page) so that I can readily get context/bigger picture/subject information. If I then wish to peruse video tutorials, find additional info at a website/forum etc I have that OPTION.

As the tools get more robust and sophisticated it feels as though the help system is moving in the opposite direction. While I appreciate e-help, and find it has advantages in certain situations, the trend of discarding "print" based help format is causing "help" to be intrusive and obstructive.

A popular term for e-help is inline, which would imply that as we proceed along in our workflow we can quickly bring up help to get whatever level of assist we might need, as we continue to journey in our production workflow. The model that Adobe is adopting feels more and more like a hard stop, turn down the dark alley and hope you can find what you need in the debris littering the way.

Additionally, the Adobe landing page for searching help is a hodge-podge of info (see above intro for what I expect) I almost always default to using Google to drill down, as Adobes search may or may not get me "there".

First a quick background on how I have used help/would like to continue to use help.

When I get a new package (or upgrade) I "read" the manual. Surprising the book format is an excellent study tool.

1. It can be read through start to finish, in depth, skimming or a combination of technique. This gives an orderly overview, contextual relationships of tools and usage. Additionally it allows the reader to get what they need, when they need it.
  2. I can really dig in to a chapter, take notes or quickly find a reference to a tool when I'm in the middle of a project.
  3. Perform markup and bookmarks to highlight things I need.... etc.
  4. Serve as a quick reference to a tool, with the ability to read more context if needed or find relationships of tools
  5. I can move at my own pace (as opposed to having the video force my hand, and no, variable speed playback does not effectively address this)
  6. I can go back at any time and choose to study the material related to my earlier "quick lookup" of a tool. In whatever depth I need/choose.

I enjoy and employ e-help also:

1. Sometimes a tutorial in written, video or combination form is ideal.
  2. Sometimes it is not, forcing me to hunt around, fast forward or seek more information elsewhere

Summary:

1. User manual employing the time tested model of a textbook, Much like the PDF manuals that use to be standard.
  2. Addendum's that address updated/new and can be added on to the "base" manual so that note taking and markup can be maintained
  3. The online manual following the format Adobe use to employ. TOC, navigation breadcrumbs, previous/next
  4. The ability to approach the subject as now implemented online in ADDITION, not in place of the book.
  5. In an application, the pop-up "tool tip" works, but how about an enhancement that allows you to click and go directly to the "manual" entry for that item (OK now I'm getting overly ambitious)

I hope this can bring a thoughtful consideration of the topic, suggestions from others or other opinions.

The help system is as important, if not even more important than the application (if you don't know about, cannot find it or understand how to use it at full capability, is the feature set really there?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are user-to-user forums.

copy and paste your wish to Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of this being user forum. This was posted here to see others thoughts on the matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PS Usable help is not a "feature", it's a fundamental of good program design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines